Koulibaly could end career at Napoli despite Premier League rumours

By Sports Desk July 11, 2020

Kalidou Koulibaly says he could finish his career with Napoli despite persistent rumours linking him with Premier League clubs.

The centre-back has been heavily linked with Manchester City, Liverpool and Manchester United, while Ligue 1 champions Paris Saint-Germain have also been credited with interest.

Having turned 29 last month, the Senegal international's transfer value is unlikely to get any higher, and he accepts his future is largely in the hands of Napoli president Aurelio De Laurentiis.

However, Koulibaly would be happy to spend the rest of his playing days with the Partenopei as his family is settled in the city.

"My family is doing very well in Naples and that makes me happy. It's only thanks to them that I've been here for six years because, if they weren't happy, I'd have left already," he told La Gazzetta dello Sport.

"My children speak Italian as well as French. We speak both languages at home. We live peacefully here.

"I hear that I'll be leaving, but I'm fine here. I don't understand why we should talk about the market when there's nothing on the horizon. There's a new one every day.

"You never know what happens in football. I never spoke to the club to leave. If we have to find a solution, we will, but I've never talked about the transfer market.

"I read about my future in the newspapers but I only want to think about playing. I'm 100 per cent for Napoli and it bothers me being linked every day to this or that European club.

"We'll see what the president decides, if he proposes extending my contract, which would allow me to end my career here. At the moment, I still have three years on my contract.

"I wouldn't say no [to ending my career here]. But I don't want to deceive anyone. We know how things are in football - maybe you say you'll stay for life, and then you're sold.

"So, I tell the fans that I will give 200-300 percent while I'm wearing this shirt."

Koulibaly has even spoken to Victor Osimhen, the Lille forward heavily linked with Napoli, about the benefits of moving to the club.

"It's true he called me," Koulibaly said. "We talked about racism. I told him he wouldn't have these problems coming to Naples, that he'll choose the right city.

"I've also felt the bitterness of racist insults, but never in Naples. I reassured him: I told him that, if he comes, he'll have made the best choice."

Related items

  • Benfica complete triple swoop for Vertonghen, Everton and Waldschmidt Benfica complete triple swoop for Vertonghen, Everton and Waldschmidt

    Benfica have confirmed the signings of Jan Vertonghen, Everton Soares and Luca Waldschmidt.

    In an announcement on Friday, Benfica revealed the three additions to coach Jorge Jesus' squad.

    Vertonghen, who will wear the number five shirt, arrives as a free agent after the experienced Belgium defender left Tottenham at the end of the 2019-20 Premier League season.

    Meanwhile, Everton – who was also linked with the English club of the same name – has joined for an undisclosed fee from Gremio.

    The 24-year-old winger has made 14 appearances for Brazil, scoring three goals.

    Waldschmidt arrives from Bundesliga club Freiburg, having netted seven league goals to help his former side finish eighth in 2019-20.

    A three-time Germany international, Waldschmidt will wear the number 10 jersey.

    Benfica finished second in Portugal's Primeira Liga last term, five points behind champions Porto.

  • Mourinho: Benfica-bound Vertonghen 'certainly among the best' Mourinho: Benfica-bound Vertonghen 'certainly among the best'

    Tottenham boss Jose Mourinho says Jan Vertonghen is among the best players he has ever worked with and wished the defender well ahead of his imminent move to Benfica. 

    Belgium international Vertonghen confirmed his Tottenham exit last month following eight seasons with the club. 

    The 33-year-old made over 300 appearances for the Premier League side and finished his Spurs career under Mourinho. He is expected to complete a free transfer to Benfica in the near future. 

    Mourinho has wished the centre-back well in Portugal with Benfica, who have confirmed the return of head coach Jorge Jesus ahead of the 2020-21 campaign. 

    "He will be a great man to play in the Portuguese League. A big professional, a silent leader, an example in a work group," Mourinho told Portuguese newspaper Record.

    "Fortunately I've met many throughout my career, but Jan is certainly among the best.  

    "As a player, everyone knows him and the Benfica coach, as well as his structure, certainly analysed everything he can bring to the team.  

    "I wish him to be very happy in my country. At Spurs we'll all be behind a person who is very dear to us."

  • Messi to Inter? Nerazzurri capable of signing Barcelona star, says ex-president Moratti Messi to Inter? Nerazzurri capable of signing Barcelona star, says ex-president Moratti

    Inter owners Suning have the resources to sign Lionel Messi from Barcelona, according to the Italian club's former president Massimo Moratti.

    Barca superstar Messi has been linked with a shock switch to Inter once his contract expires in 2021 after reportedly growing unhappy at Camp Nou.

    That speculation only intensified last month when a picture of the six-time Ballon d'Or winner was projected by the Suning Group onto the Duomo di Milano.

    And Moratti, who brought Ronaldo to Inter and also tried to sign Messi, is confident the Serie A giants will land the Argentina international if they really want him.

    "I'm just a fan and I don't have any confidential news," he told Quotidiano Sportivo.

    "But I know one thing. When it comes to resources and competence, Suning has what it takes to bring Messi to Milan."

    Inter already have a prolific attacker leading their line in the form of Romelu Lukaku, who has scored 31 goals in his first season since joining from Manchester United.

    Moratti suggested at the start of the season Mauro Icardi would be a better option than Lukaku, but he has admitted to being proved wrong by Lukaku.

    "I got it wrong on Lukaku," he said. "In all honesty, I thought he was just physically strong and feared we would regret losing Icardi.

    "Instead, Romelu is a champion, always helps his team-mates and has good vision of the play.

    "Antonio Conte was right to demand his signing and then did so well to improve him."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.