Mbappe reveals the two PSG departures that hit him hardest

By Sports Desk June 27, 2020

Kylian Mbappe says the departures of Lassana Diarra and Gianluigi Buffon from Paris Saint-Germain had a big effect on him.

Diarra only spent a year at the Parc des Princes, announcing his retirement when his PSG contract was terminated by mutual consent in February 2019.

The Le Havre academy product played for Chelsea, Arsenal and Portsmouth before heading to Real Madrid in 2009.

After some time in Russia with Anzhi Makhachkala and Lokomotiv Moscow, Diarra went to Marseille for 18 months and joined Al Jazira in the United Arab Emirates upon his release, prior to joining PSG.

Mbappe valued Diarra's advice and also the presence of World Cup winner Buffon, who played for PSG in the 2018-19 season before heading back to Juventus on a free transfer.

"He was Uncle Lass, a big brother you could count on," Mbappe told L'Equipe. "He often told me about his career, his clubs. He made mistakes, so he advised me.

"He helped me during complicated times. The high level – he knows what he is talking about. He went to a lot of clubs all over the place. He left home very early, and alone. I always liked listening to the elders. Buffon was also very important to me.

"But Lass wasn't just talking to me. He also spent a lot of time with Presnel Kimpembe. And he always played this role even when he was not playing. That is very important.

"Lassana was highly respected in the dressing room. It did something to me to see him go. It also did something to me to see Buffon go."

PSG were declared Ligue 1 champions when the season was curtailed in April amid the coronavirus pandemic.

They will return to action in the Champions League quarter-finals in August.

Related items

  • Juventus boss Sarri vows there must be no 'negative impact' from defeat in Milan Juventus boss Sarri vows there must be no 'negative impact' from defeat in Milan

    Juventus boss Maurizio Sarri has told his title-chasing players they must set aside the shock of crumbling against Milan as they prepare to tackle a dangerous Atalanta side.

    A torrid Tuesday at San Siro saw Juventus lead 2-0 before folding in the final 30 minutes to lose 4-2 against Stefano Pioli's Rossoneri.

    Third-placed Atalanta have the capacity to tear into any team and Sarri admits he simply does not have time to analyse in detail why leaders Juve lost their way so badly in midweek.

    The solution, he suggested in a news conference on Friday, is simply to move on and try to forget about that abject surrender.

    "If the match against Milan had happened earlier on, the priority would be to go in search of the causes," head coach Sarri said.

    "Given that we are in the final stages, the priority becomes ensuring that it doesn't have a negative impact. We have to look forward immediately."

    There is still every reason for Juve to be positive, given they hold a seven-point lead over second-placed Lazio heading into the weekend.

    And with seven rounds of games to play, it would take a sustained slump for them to be caught.

    "Right now, almost all teams struggle to have continuity for 90 minutes and what I would like to see is organisation, which in certain moments is decisive," said Sarri.

    In preaching the message that Juve need to bring level heads to the Allianz Stadium on Saturday, Sarri knows any wobble could be punished.

    The Bianconeri capitalised when Atalanta lost their way when the teams met in Bergamo back in November, the hosts surging ahead early in the second half before Gonzalo Higuain's double and Paulo Dybala's late goal gave Juve a 3-1 victory.

    "In the away match Atalanta held a very intense rhythm for 55 minutes but then they likely couldn't hold it for the final stages," Sarri said.

    "I think we'll see a different type of match this time around.

    "This is an important phase of the season. Atalanta are the real deal and are doing really well and their stats reflect that, especially away from home. They're a very difficult opponent and have been for some time."

    Dybala returns from a suspension this weekend. Sarri said he doubted whether the Argentinian would have been able to prevent the "blackout" that Juve suffered in Milan.

  • Setien wants Barca to make most of Napoli home advantage Setien wants Barca to make most of Napoli home advantage

    Barcelona head coach Quique Setien believes fairness has prevailed after UEFA confirmed the second leg of their Champions League last-16 encounter against Napoli will take place at Camp Nou.

    Friday's draw for the final stages of the Champions League handed Barca a tough-looking route to glory if they manage to successfully negotiate their Serie A opponents.

    Bayern Munich are the likely quarter-final foes for the winner of that tie, as they hold a 3-0 first-leg advantage ahead of Chelsea's visit to the Allianz Arena.

    The winner of that game will take on whoever comes out of the Real Madrid or Manchester City v Lyon or Juventus clashes, meaning a semi-final Clasico in Lisbon is a possibility.

    Speaking ahead of Saturday's trip to Real Valladolid in LaLiga, where victory is essential to preserve Barca's fading LaLiga title hopes, Setien was in no mood to be drawn on such permutations.

    However, the decision to make Napoli travel to Camp Nou and not stage the concluding game of the tie at a neutral venue pleased him.

    "I didn't have much in the way of expectations for the draw. I think it's important that we focus on the game against Napoli, which is the key," he said.

    "We know that we're going to be playing at home now, which is something that I think is fair.

    "As for the rest of the draw, it's okay to know what it is and it's good to analyse some of the possible opponents.

    "But the first thing we have to do is focus on the work for the game tomorrow against Valladolid. We need to take three points. Then the game against Napoli is vital for us. When the moment comes we will face that.

    "First we need to keep our option open for winning the title."

    Junior Firpo is back in the Barca squad to face Valladolid but Arthur is an injury absentee.

    The Brazil midfielder has not featured for the Blaugrana since his pending switch to Juventus was confirmed but Setien insisted his omission is purely because he is not fit.

    "It is a specific issue," he said. "His involvement is the same. He tries to give his best in each training session.

    "Next week he will overcome this process he has and will return to action. We are going to need everyone."

    Setien is set to have another boost to his midfield options after Frenkie de Jong returned to training from a calf problem.

    "We considered taking him on the trip [to Valladolid] but we have thought the best thing is [to wait until] he has really good feelings.

    "We preferred not to take risks and wait a few more days for the sensations to be excellent."

    If Real Madrid beat Deportivo Alaves on Friday, Barca will take to the field four points in arrears, with an inferior head-to-head record and three games remaining for both sides.

    Nevertheless, Setien is not ready to give up just yet.

    "Everything can happen in football," he added. "We have seen inexplicable things. 

    "We must focus on what is ours and wait for that opportunity that the rival in front of us may fail."

  • Liverpool captain Henderson out for the rest of the season Liverpool captain Henderson out for the rest of the season

    Jurgen Klopp has confirmed Liverpool captain Jordan Henderson is out for the rest of the season due to a knee injury.

    The England midfielder limped out of a 3-1 victory at Brighton and Hove Albion on Wednesday after damaging his left knee in a challenge with Yves Bissouma.

    At a Friday news conference, Klopp  revealed Henderson will play no further part in the champions' bid to break Manchester City's record Premier League points tally of 100.

    The former Sunderland man will not require surgery, however and his manager is optimistic he will be fit for the start of the 2020-21 season.

    Klopp said: "Best possible news. It's a knee injury, but no surgery is required.

    "He will not play this season, but I'm positive he will start the new season. He's a quick healer."

    Klopp also revealed Dejan Lovren is available for Saturday's clash with Burnley at Anfield, where Liverpool can move on to 95 points with a victory.

    The Croatia centre-back has been sidelined with a knock but could feature against the mid-table Clarets.

    Liverpool face Arsenal, Chelsea and Newcastle United in their final three games after coming up against Sean Dyche's in-form side, who have won three and drawn one of their previous four.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.