Barca target Lautaro Martinez isn't for sale – Inter CEO Marotta

By Sports Desk June 24, 2020

Inter chief executive Giuseppe Marotta said the club are not looking to sell Lautaro Martinez amid strong links to Barcelona.

Martinez has been strongly tipped to swap Inter for LaLiga champions Barca at the end of the 2019-20 coronavirus-hit season.

Barca are reportedly struggling to meet Inter's demands, with a release clause of €111million for the Argentina international.

Inter CEO Marotta was again asked about Martinez prior to Wednesday's thrilling 3-3 Serie A draw against Sassuolo.

"We have been very clear on Lautaro, stating more than once, Inter are a noble club and have no intention of selling the best players," Marotta told DAZN. "That goes for Lautaro.

"If the player does not manifest the desire to leave – and he has not – then there's no reason why he should go to another club."

Martinez came off the bench in the 62nd minute but he was unable to help Inter claim all three points at San Siro, where Sassuolo twice came from behind inside the final nine minutes.

The 22-year-old has scored 17 goals across all competitions for Antonio Conte's Inter this season.

Martinez and third-placed Inter will be back in action away to Parma on Sunday.

Related items

  • Simeone not ready to start resting Atletico Madrid stars Simeone not ready to start resting Atletico Madrid stars

    Diego Simeone is not thinking about resting his Atletico Madrid stars ahead of the return of the Champions League.

    Atleti were pitted against RB Leipzig in the quarter-final draw on Friday, with the winner of that game taking on Atalanta or Paris Saint-Germain in the last four of the mini-tournament that will be hosted in Lisbon next month.

    Simeone's side will secure a top-four finish in LaLiga if they defeat Real Betis on Saturday - with three games remaining they sit six points clear of Villarreal, whom they hold the upper hand over in the head-to-head record.

    Despite being so close to guaranteeing a return to the Champions League next season, the Atleti boss is not considering rotating his players.

    "Every time we select a line-up, we do so thinking of winning the game. Tomorrow [Saturday] will be no exception," Simeone told the media on Friday.

    "It will be a very important game. It is a game which can give us the access to next season's Champions League, which is what we really want and have been looking for and working towards for a long time.

    "We will try to be at our best in the game; looking at the training today in order to know who are best for tomorrow's game, which is the most important. And after, we will try to put that in the pitch, the only useful thing."

    Having knocked out defending champions Liverpool in the Champions League last-16 and landed in the kinder half of the draw for the final stages, Atletico are considered strong candidates to go all the way.

    Simeone does not see it that way, though, pointing to the threat Leipzig pose.

    "They are always the same people who either exaggerate or discredit you. As I am trying to escape from extremes, I will only say what I said already after the draw," the Atleti boss said.

    "We are going to face a good team with quick attacking players. A team that scores many goals and finished a great season in Germany."

  • Marcelo suffers adductor injury amid reports his LaLiga season is over Marcelo suffers adductor injury amid reports his LaLiga season is over

    Real Madrid could be without Marcelo for the rest of their LaLiga campaign after suffering an adductor injury.

    The experienced left-back sustained the problem during the 1-0 win over Athletic Bilbao on Sunday, a game in which he won the penalty that resulted in the decisive goal.

    LaLiga leaders Madrid announced in the lead up to Friday's clash with Deportivo Alaves that the Brazilian's injury had been diagnosed as a problem in his left adductor muscle.

    While the club refused to put a timeframe on his recovery, media reports suggest they do not expect him to be available for their three remaining league games after the visit of Alaves.

    Zinedine Zidane will be without Marcelo for trips to Granada and Leganes either side of a home match against in-form Villarreal.

    He is not thought to be a major doubt for the Champions League last-16 second leg against Manchester City on August 7, however.

  • Juventus boss Sarri vows there must be no 'negative impact' from defeat in Milan Juventus boss Sarri vows there must be no 'negative impact' from defeat in Milan

    Juventus boss Maurizio Sarri has told his title-chasing players they must set aside the shock of crumbling against Milan as they prepare to tackle a dangerous Atalanta side.

    A torrid Tuesday at San Siro saw Juventus lead 2-0 before folding in the final 30 minutes to lose 4-2 against Stefano Pioli's Rossoneri.

    Third-placed Atalanta have the capacity to tear into any team and Sarri admits he simply does not have time to analyse in detail why leaders Juve lost their way so badly in midweek.

    The solution, he suggested in a news conference on Friday, is simply to move on and try to forget about that abject surrender.

    "If the match against Milan had happened earlier on, the priority would be to go in search of the causes," head coach Sarri said.

    "Given that we are in the final stages, the priority becomes ensuring that it doesn't have a negative impact. We have to look forward immediately."

    There is still every reason for Juve to be positive, given they hold a seven-point lead over second-placed Lazio heading into the weekend.

    And with seven rounds of games to play, it would take a sustained slump for them to be caught.

    "Right now, almost all teams struggle to have continuity for 90 minutes and what I would like to see is organisation, which in certain moments is decisive," said Sarri.

    In preaching the message that Juve need to bring level heads to the Allianz Stadium on Saturday, Sarri knows any wobble could be punished.

    The Bianconeri capitalised when Atalanta lost their way when the teams met in Bergamo back in November, the hosts surging ahead early in the second half before Gonzalo Higuain's double and Paulo Dybala's late goal gave Juve a 3-1 victory.

    "In the away match Atalanta held a very intense rhythm for 55 minutes but then they likely couldn't hold it for the final stages," Sarri said.

    "I think we'll see a different type of match this time around.

    "This is an important phase of the season. Atalanta are the real deal and are doing really well and their stats reflect that, especially away from home. They're a very difficult opponent and have been for some time."

    Dybala returns from a suspension this weekend. Sarri said he doubted whether the Argentinian would have been able to prevent the "blackout" that Juve suffered in Milan.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.