Victory appoint Brebner as interim head coach

By Sports Desk June 11, 2020

Melbourne Victory have appointed former star Grant Brebner as their interim head coach for the rest of the A-League season.

A two-time championship winner as a player at the club, Brebner will oversee Victory's last five games of the campaign, which is suspended due to the coronavirus pandemic, after Carlos Salvachua left to return to Europe last month.

Victory's women's team and academy head coach Jeff Hopkins will serve as the former Scottish midfielder's assistant.

"The COVID-19 pandemic has presented the club with numerous, unexpected hurdles, but our people continue to respond to the challenge," Victory chief executive Trent Jacobs said in a statement.

"Grant Brebner and Jeff Hopkins are excited about the opportunity to oversee the A-League program for the remainder of the 2019-20 season.

"Grant and Jeff know our players well, and we want the transition to be as seamless as possible. Their priority will be to get the team to the fitness level required to perform, once the season resumes in mid-July.

"With respect to the search for our next A-League head coach, the recruitment process is progressing and remains on track. We will provide a further update in due course.

"It is not our intention for the successful candidate to be involved in the conclusion of the 2019-20 season, therefore they will be officially taking over in preparation for the commencement of the 2020-21 pre-season."

A former Manchester United youth member, Brebner spent several seasons with Victory as a player.

The 42-year-old hopes Victory, who are 10th in the table, can produce a good finish to the campaign.

"It's obviously been a challenging few months, so it's great to get back to work and start preparing to play football again," Brebner said.

"This season hasn't unfolded as planned, but over the coming months the focus for the team will be to enjoy what we do and play tough attacking football, which is what our members and fans expect.

"This was the philosophy drummed into me as a Victory player, and I really want our players to play with freedom and embrace the brand of football our club has been known for over the past 15 years.

"We have a great opportunity over the coming months to build some strong foundations which the next head coach can then build on next season."

Related items

  • Arteta predicts 'busy' finish to transfer window, has no update on Aouar Arteta predicts 'busy' finish to transfer window, has no update on Aouar

    Mikel Arteta expects a busy finish to the transfer window, but the Arsenal manager had no update regarding Houssem Aouar.

    Arsenal have been heavily linked with a move for Lyon star Aouar ahead of the transfer window closing on October 5.

    Asked about Aouar after a 3-1 Premier League loss to Liverpool on Monday, Arteta had no update, but he predicted a frantic finish to the transfer period.

    "We don't have any news on new players and either with players that might leave the football club," he told a news conference.

    "It's a week to go, I think it's going to be really busy for other clubs because not much business has been done.

    "Let's see what happens."

    Arteta added: "I think it will be busy for the Premier League. Busy for us, I don't know how it is going to happen."

    Arsenal's loss to Liverpool was their first of the Premier League season and they sit fifth in the table.

  • Aulas sets Friday deadline for Lyon departures amid Depay, Aouar links Aulas sets Friday deadline for Lyon departures amid Depay, Aouar links

    Lyon president Jean-Michel Aulas has set a Friday deadline for any departures from the Ligue 1 club amid talk about Memphis Depay and Houssem Aouar.

    Depay has been heavily linked with a move to Barcelona, while Aouar is reportedly a target for Arsenal.

    But while the transfer window closes on October 5, Aulas wants any departures from Lyon to be confirmed by Friday.

    "I believe that we will tell the players that for everything that will not be settled in terms of departure before Friday, there will be no departure," he told Telefoot on Monday.

    "For us, the date of the transfer window will be Friday. I think to propose it tomorrow [Tuesday] to Rudi [Garcia, coach] and Juni [Juninho, sporting director].

    "We realise that there is something wrong. It can be that and many other things. Friday, players who have not left will not leave."

    Lyon have made a slow start to the Ligue 1 season, collecting just six points from their opening five games.

  • Genoa confirm 14 positive cases of coronavirus Genoa confirm 14 positive cases of coronavirus

    Serie A side Genoa have announced 14 people at the club have returned positive tests for coronavirus.

    The cases, from among the playing squad and other staff, were confirmed following the 6-0 league defeat to Napoli on Sunday.

    "The club has activated all the procedures as per the protocol and informed the authorities. The club will give updates as the situation evolves," Genoa said in a statement on Monday.

    This news means Saturday's scheduled game against Torino could now be in doubt.

    It also means Napoli will likely need to carry out tests of their squad before Sunday's clash with champions Juventus.

    Sampdoria also confirmed on Monday that forward Keita Balde had tested positive for COVID-19 and will now follow the necessary health protocols.

    The player is due to join Sampdoria from Monaco this week on loan.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.