Coronavirus: Massachusetts teams can re-open practice facilities, Celtics set to resume workouts

By Sports Desk May 29, 2020

Massachusetts governor Charlie Baker said the state's five professional sports teams can re-open their practice facilities on June 6 as the Boston Celtics prepare to return on Monday.

The coronavirus pandemic has wreaked havoc across the globe, especially in the United States, where the NBA, MLS and NHL seasons have been postponed since March.

The start of the 2020 MLB campaign has also been delayed due to COVID-19, which has killed over 104,500 people in the USA.

But the Celtics, Boston Red Sox, Boston Bruins, New England Patriots and New England Revolution will be able to resume practicing next month, in compliance with the health and safety rules set in place by their respective leagues.

"The leagues are obviously working hard to host games again and I think we all hope opening practices will make that happen a little sooner," Baker said on Friday.

"For all of us, live sports and especially pro sports would be a great thing to see again. It's not only a significant milestone for fans, but also a signal that we continue to do all the things we need to do."

NBA franchise the Celtics, meanwhile, will allow voluntary individual workouts at the Auerbach Center on Monday.

The NBA has been on hiatus since March, but the league is reportedly planning to restart the 2019-20 campaign on July 31.

"We're happy that our players will now have the option to work out individually in a safe environment at the Auerbach Center, and we hope it signals a step back towards playing basketball again," Celtics president of basketball operations Danny Ainge said.

The Celtics (43-21) were third in the Eastern Conference, behind NBA leaders the Milwaukee Bucks and defending champions the Toronto Raptors at the time of the postponement.

Related items

  • RB Leipzig v Atletico Madrid: Just how big a miss is Timo Werner in Lisbon? RB Leipzig v Atletico Madrid: Just how big a miss is Timo Werner in Lisbon?

    It does not exactly take an Einstein-like genius to suggest any team, let alone RB Leipzig, would miss a striker the quality of Timo Werner.

    But when coming up against a team with the defensive quality of Atletico Madrid it appears an even bigger loss.

    Werner opted not play in the remainder of Leipzig's resumed Champions League campaign, however long that may last, after signing for Premier League side Chelsea.

    So, just how big a loss will he be to Leipzig? Well, using Opta data for the Bundesliga and LaLiga in 2019-20, we have compared Werner's stats against Marcel Sabitzer, Patrik Schick and Yussuf Poulsen and analysed Atleti's defensive strength to highlight the size of the task in Lisbon on Thursday.


    TIM-WOE WITHOUT WERNER?

    The raw numbers show Werner was, and prepare to be very shocked here (disclaimer: you won't be), Leipzig's most potent forward this season – yeah, we were surprised too.

    His 28 goals was bettered only in Germany's top flight by Robert Lewandowski (another surprise…), with Schick's 10 the next best of our four chosen Leipzig players. Sabitzer had nine and Poulsen five.

    Of course, that does not tell the full story given Werner played all 34 games, while Sabitzer (32), Schick and Poulsen (both 22) each played fewer.

    However, even when looking at the data per 90 minutes, Werner's average of 0.9 is still comfortably the best, with Schick (0.69) next in line and Poulsen (0.37) and Sabitzer (0.32) well behind.

    Werner's 64 shots on target equate to 2.05 per 90 minutes, which is also better than Schick (1.38), Sabitzer (0.86) and Poulsen (0.74).

    So, not particularly friendly reading for Leipzig fans so far. Things do not get much better when looking at big-chance conversion, with Werner's at 46.15 per cent.

    Schick's 42.86 is not too far behind, but Sabitzer (22.22) and Poulsen (37.5) are some way off Werner's figure.

    A shot conversion rate of 28 per cent means Werner also led in this category. Throw in five braces and three hat-tricks, none of the other three managed any in those areas, and the Germany star's absence is pretty pronounced.

    Werner had eight assists too, with Sabitzer only one back here on seven.


    BREAKING DOWN DIEGO'S DEFENSIVE WALL

    Of course, it is not just Werner's goals that make this such a difficult tie. Even with him involved getting through Atletico's notoriously difficult defence would have been tricky.

    And there is plenty of encouragement for Atleti when looking at the numbers since LaLiga resumed in June.

    In the 11 games Atleti played, their defence was breached just six times and the team kept six clean sheets. 

    In the 27 matches pre-lockdown, the opposition scored 21 times and Atleti registered 11 shut outs.

    Their tackle success jumped up slightly from 61.23 per cent to 63.37, while there were no errors leading to goals in the 11 games since the resumption (impressively there were only two in this category pre-lockdown).

    In terms of shots on target faced, Atleti averaged out at three per game (81 from 27 before the league was suspended, 33 in 11 after the restart).

    For total shots, Atleti faced a few more on average (11.6 compared to 10.6) but there is no doubting Leipzig face a daunting task.

  • Rumour Has It: Man City, PSG eye Liverpool target Thiago Rumour Has It: Man City, PSG eye Liverpool target Thiago

    Liverpool look set to have some major competition in their bid to sign Thiago Alcantara.

    Out of contract at Bayern Munich next year, Thiago has been heavily linked with a move to the Premier League champions.

    However, two big-spending European giants are reportedly joining the race for the midfielder.

     

    TOP STORY – MAN CITY, PSG EYE LIVERPOOL TARGET THIAGO

    Manchester City and PSG are interested in reported Liverpool target Thiago, according to Le 10 Sport.

    Sport Bild says Liverpool are prepared to pay £27.1million (€30m) for the midfielder, an offer which could be enough for Bayern.

    However, it also reports the champions are worried a club like City may trump their bid.

    ROUND-UP

    - While it looks like Jadon Sancho may remain at Borussia Dortmund, Manchester United are not giving up on the star attacker. The Mirror reports the Premier League club have put other moves on hold as they chase Sancho.

    - Staying at Old Trafford and Paul Pogba's future is yet to be sorted. Sky Sports reports the midfielder, who is contracted until 2021 with the club holding an option to extend it for a further year, is expecting talks over a new deal after United's Europa League campaign ends.

    - After crashing out of the Champions League in the last 16, Real Madrid have been expected to strengthen. However, Marca reports Madrid have told players there will be no new signings.

    - With Ismaila Sarr linked to Liverpool, Watford are seemingly holding firm. The Evening Standard reports Watford are demanding £40m for Sarr, who has also been linked to Wolves and Crystal Palace.

    - Arsenal and Roma could be close to a swap deal. Nicolo Schira reports the clubs are in advanced talks about a deal that would send Lucas Torreira to the Serie A club and Amadou Diawara to Arsenal.

  • Blue Jays make MLB history in wild loss to Marlins, in-form LeMahieu leads Yankees sweep Blue Jays make MLB history in wild loss to Marlins, in-form LeMahieu leads Yankees sweep

    The Toronto Blue Jays produced a remarkable performance, however, they still lost 14-11 to the Miami Marlins in a wild extra-innings showdown.

    Toronto rallied from 8-0 down and levelled the MLB encounter at 11-11 in the bottom of the eighth inning after homering in six straight innings on Wednesday.

    However, Magneuris Sierra hit the go-ahead single in the 10th inning to spare the Marlins' blushes away to the relocated Blue Jays in Buffalo midweek.

    Per STATS, the Blue Jays became the first team in MLB history to have at least 18 hits and seven home runs in a game and still lose.

    DJ LeMahieu starred again as the New York Yankees beat the Atlanta Braves 6-3.

    In the absence of All-Star slugger Aaron Judge, LeMahieu had four hits in five at-bats – raising his average to an American League (AL)-leading .431 – to help the Yankees complete a two-game interleague sweep.

    The Yankees are now 23-0-3 in their last 26 series at home – the longest undefeated streak in franchise history, surpassing previous bests in 1997-98 and 1937 according to STATS.

     

    Cubs enjoying best start since 1970

    The Chicago Cubs are flying at the moment. A 7-2 win over the Cleveland Indians matched the franchise's best start in 50 years. The Cubs improved to 12-3 – equalling Chicago's start after 15 games in 1970.

    Bo Bichette went five for five for the Blue Jays as he became the youngest player in team history with a five-hit game. The 22-year-old also became the first shortstop in the modern era to reach base safely six times, hit a home run and steal two bases in the same game, per STATS.

    Ramon Laureano made three fine catches and the Oakland Athletics homered three times to top the Los Angeles Angels 8-4 on the road. Stephen Piscotty, Matt Olson and Robbie Grossman homered for the Athletics.

    Martin Maldonado hit a three-run homer as the Houston Astros accounted for the San Francisco Giants 5-1. It came on the back of Zack Greinke's strong start in which he only allowed one run and seven hits over a season-high 6.1 innings for his first win. Greinke struck out seven and walked one.

     

    Jays' Pearson struggles

    It was a difficult outing for rookie pitcher Nate Pearson. He allowed seven runs – four earned – on five hits and four walks, while striking out one across 2.1 innings. Pearson unravelled in the third, allowing a pair of singles and walks before exiting the game with the Blue Jays down 4-0 and bases loaded.

    Charlie Blackmon's streak came to an end in the Colorado Rockies' 13-7 defeat against the Arizona Diamondbacks. He went 0 for four, ending his hitting streak at 15 games. His average dipped to .472, having entered the contest batting at .500.

     

    Soto bests his own effort

    After his monster home run on Monday, Washington Nationals star Juan Soto went long again. Soto blasted a 466-foot homer in the opening inning of the World Series champions' 11-6 defeat to the New York Mets, surpassing his career-best 463-foot effort from two days earlier. Soto is now tied for fifth with 60 home runs before the age of 22.

    Wednesday's results

    Oakland Athletics 8-4 Los Angeles Angels
    Arizona Diamondbacks 13-7 Colorado Rockies
    Chicago White Sox 7-5 Detroit Tigers
    Chicago Cubs 7-2 Cleveland Indians
    Miami Marlins 14-11 Toronto Blue Jays
    Kansas City Royals 5-4 Cincinnati Reds
    Baltimore Orioles 5-4 Philadelphia Phillies
    New York Yankees 6-3 Atlanta Braves
    New York Mets 11-6 Washington Nationals
    Minnesota Twins 12-2 Milwaukee Brewers
    Houston Astros 5-1 San Francisco Giants
    Tampa Bay Rays 9-5 Boston Red Sox
    Texas Rangers 7-4 Seattle Mariners
    Los Angeles Dodgers 6-0 San Diego Padres

     

    Nationals at Mets

    After missing the chance to close out their series against the Mets (8-11), the Nationals (6-8) will have another opportunity in the fourth and final encounter on Thursday. The Nationals will send Austin Voth to the mound, while the Mets counter with David Peterson.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.