Damm: Borussia Dortmund and Wolfsburg were interested in me

By Sports Desk May 17, 2020

Tigres UANL winger Jurgen Damm said he was priced out of a move to the Bundesliga in 2016 and claimed Borussia Dortmund and Wolfsburg were interested in him.

The Mexico international holds a German passport and was heavily linked with a move the year after helping Tigres reach the Copa Libertadores final, which they lost to River Plate.

Damm is expected to leave the Liga MX club at the end of the season and stated he previously came close to a Bundesliga switch, though no concrete offer was forthcoming.

"My agent had close contact with Borussia Dortmund and Wolfsburg – they were the two teams from Germany that were interested," he told 90min.

"The issue was the release clause, which was very high. As I have said on many occasions, the price of Mexican players is very inflated.

"Of course, Borussia or Wolfsburg can pay 10 or 15 million [euros], but it's not a matter of having it but of what you are really worth."

Atlanta United have been credited with an interest in Damm, who is open to MLS for his next move. River and Tigres' rivals Monterrey are the only teams he will not consider playing for.

Asked about MLS, he said: "It is an option that we manage for my future. MLS is a very attractive league that has grown a lot in recent years," he said.

"I do not shut off any options, I just wouldn't want to play for River and Monterrey, because I am a Tigres fan."

He added: "In Argentina I like Boca a lot more, aside from us losing the Copa Libertadores final [to River]. Tigres is the team of my heart, the one I love, the one I appreciate and will be a fan off all my life."

Related items

  • Bayern winger Sane ruled out of DFL-Supercup against Dortmund Bayern winger Sane ruled out of DFL-Supercup against Dortmund

    Bayern Munich winger Leroy Sane has been ruled out of the DFL-Supercup match against Borussia Dortmund with a knee injury.

    Sane sustained the problem in Sunday's shock 4-1 away defeat to Hoffenheim in the Bundesliga.

    He will subsequently be missing for Wednesday's Klassiker contest with Dortmund, while David Alaba is a doubt and will be checked closer to kick-off due to a muscular injury.

    Sane, who scored on his debut for the club against Schalke this month after signing from Manchester City, will also be out for Bayern's weekend league meeting with Hertha Berlin, their last game before the international break.

    "David has muscular problems, so we have to wait and see how that develops," explained head coach Hansi Flick at his pre-match news conference.

    "But Leroy is out - he has a capsule injury in his right knee and hopefully he will be back after the international break."

    Dortmund beat Bayern 2-0 in the 2019 Supercup, with Flick's men, who had won it in the previous three years, at home for this meeting as they look to bounce back from the Hoffenheim loss.

    "Dortmund have a fantastic, young side and they also have experience in their ranks," said Flick.

    "They play attractive, offensive football, which I like. This will be a test against one of Germany's best. This game will help to develop us.

    "My team's mentality is absolutely outstanding. Maybe one or two of them are slightly tired, but they always give 100 per cent on the pitch.

    "That was also the case in Hoffenheim, but unfortunately, we didn't do some things that well that day."

    With Sane injured, Champions League final hero Kingsley Coman is in contention to join Serge Gnabry and Thomas Muller in support of striker Robert Lewandowski.

  • Messi is welcome to join Suarez at Atletico, says club president Cerezo Messi is welcome to join Suarez at Atletico, says club president Cerezo

    Lionel Messi is welcome to join Luis Suarez at Atletico Madrid if he still wants to play alongside the Uruguayan, Los Colchoneros president Enrique Cerezo has cheekily suggested.

    Suarez was unceremoniously dumped by Barca last week, selling him to Atletico for just €6million after six years at Camp Nou.

    In that time Suarez rose to third on the club's all-time leading scorers list, but the way his exit was handled angered close friend Messi, who wants to leave Barca.

    The initial decision in pre-season to get rid of Suarez reportedly contributed to the club's captain and talisman asking to leave and, although he failed to force a transfer, he again showed his disdain for those in charge by publicly lambasting them for the Uruguayan's exit.

    Suarez made his Atletico debut in Sunday's 6-1 demolition of Granada, coming off the bench to devastating effect as he scored twice and got an assist.

    And Cerezo has audaciously suggested Messi joins Suarez at the Wanda Metropolitano, borrowing a marketing slogan from Spanish nougat company El Almendro.

    "In life, if you want something... If Leo Messi wants to play with Luis Suarez, I tell him the same thing that is said with nougat: 'Let him come home for Christmas'. With desire, anything is possible," he said on Cadena Cope.

    Despite the turmoil at Barca over the past seven weeks, Cerezo showed support to his under-fire counterpart at Camp Nou, Josep Maria Bartomeu.

    "Everything [with the Suarez signing] went perfectly well," he said. "Bartomeu is a good friend and a great president.

    "At the moment things are not going well at Barcelona, but he has acted as he had to act and nothing else has happened. The signing was not complicated, the player plays where he wanted to play."

    But Suarez's international colleague Edinson Cavani will not be joining him at Atletico, having previously been mooted as a replacement for Diego Costa.

    "Diego Costa is a player that Atletico Madrid needs," Cerezo added. "The season is very long. You don't have to complicate things.

    "I don't think there will be a change at Atleti. Cavani's circumstances have not been the same as those of Luis Suarez.

    "He is a fantastic player, but everything is different. It wasn't because of me or his brother [Walter Guglielmone, also his agent] that he didn't come."

  • Rumour Has It: Dortmund adamant over Sancho stay, Barcelona still want Depay Rumour Has It: Dortmund adamant over Sancho stay, Barcelona still want Depay

    Borussia Dortmund are reportedly maintaining a firm stance over Jadon Sancho, while Barcelona still want Memphis Depay.

    The Sancho transfer saga continues to dominate talk as Manchester United chase the Dortmund star.

    But the Bundesliga club are seemingly unmoved.

     

    TOP STORY – DORTMUND ADAMANT SANCHO WILL STAY

    Dortmund are adamant Sancho will not be sold this transfer window, according to Sky Sports.

    United have continued to be linked with the England international, who scored 17 goals and provided 16 assists in 32 Bundesliga games last season.

    However, Dortmund's asking price of £108million (€120m) has reportedly proven to be a stumbling block.

     

    ROUND-UP

    - Late in the transfer window, there may still be movement at Barcelona. Sport reports Ronald Koeman still wants Lyon star Depay. It also says Ajax full-back Sergino Dest is close to signing, while Porto are trying to loan midfielder Riqui Puig. Meanwhile, Mundo Deportivo says Barca will make a new offer for Eric Garcia after Manchester City signed Benfica defender Ruben Dias.

    - Amid uncertainty over Luka Jovic's future at Real Madrid, AS reports LaLiga's champions want the forward to make a loan move. Jovic struggled in his first season at Madrid in 2019-20.

    - There could be more movement at Chelsea. Fabrizio Romano says the Premier League club are still looking at West Ham midfielder Declan Rice as their main target, but will first try to sell players.

    - Antonio Rudiger could be among the exits at Chelsea. Sky Sports reports Tottenham are interested in signing the defender.

    - Talk about Rhian Brewster's Liverpool future continues. The Sun says Sheffield United are offering £17m for the forward and are prepared to agree to a buy-back clause of around £40m. The Blades have failed to score in their first three Premier League games and are second bottom.

    - Lyon are reportedly chasing Milan midfielder Lucas Paqueta. L'Equipe claims the Ligue 1 club offered to take the 23-year-old on a one-year loan with an €18m purchase option, a deal which was rejected. However, it reports Lyon will return with an improved offer.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.