Neymar ready to usurp Messi and Ronaldo, says Emery

By Sports Desk May 02, 2020

Unai Emery believes Neymar has the capacity to usurp Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo as the best player in the world.

Former Paris Saint-Germain head coach Emery worked with Neymar for his first season in France after the Brazil international's €222million move from Barcelona in 2017.

The Spaniard, who left PSG in 2018 and went on to manage Arsenal, loved his experience with Neymar and continues to believe in the 28-year-old's world-class ability.

"I had a magnificent year with him," Emery said, per EFE, in an interview with Granada coach Diego Martinez, who was his assistant at Sevilla.

"I learned so much watching his responses in each training session and in games.

"Neymar has the talent inside him but also the ability and qualities to execute it.

"I think he's got an opportunity to take the baton from Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo and be the best player in the world, and he has the time to do it."

Neymar has won six trophies in his three seasons at PSG, including a Ligue 1 title in each year.

Champions League success has so far eluded him in France, though PSG had secured a quarter-final place in this season's competition before the coronavirus pandemic brought a halt to major football.

Related items

  • Arteta predicts 'busy' finish to transfer window, has no update on Aouar Arteta predicts 'busy' finish to transfer window, has no update on Aouar

    Mikel Arteta expects a busy finish to the transfer window, but the Arsenal manager had no update regarding Houssem Aouar.

    Arsenal have been heavily linked with a move for Lyon star Aouar ahead of the transfer window closing on October 5.

    Asked about Aouar after a 3-1 Premier League loss to Liverpool on Monday, Arteta had no update, but he predicted a frantic finish to the transfer period.

    "We don't have any news on new players and either with players that might leave the football club," he told a news conference.

    "It's a week to go, I think it's going to be really busy for other clubs because not much business has been done.

    "Let's see what happens."

    Arteta added: "I think it will be busy for the Premier League. Busy for us, I don't know how it is going to happen."

    Arsenal's loss to Liverpool was their first of the Premier League season and they sit fifth in the table.

  • Aulas sets Friday deadline for Lyon departures amid Depay, Aouar links Aulas sets Friday deadline for Lyon departures amid Depay, Aouar links

    Lyon president Jean-Michel Aulas has set a Friday deadline for any departures from the Ligue 1 club amid talk about Memphis Depay and Houssem Aouar.

    Depay has been heavily linked with a move to Barcelona, while Aouar is reportedly a target for Arsenal.

    But while the transfer window closes on October 5, Aulas wants any departures from Lyon to be confirmed by Friday.

    "I believe that we will tell the players that for everything that will not be settled in terms of departure before Friday, there will be no departure," he told Telefoot on Monday.

    "For us, the date of the transfer window will be Friday. I think to propose it tomorrow [Tuesday] to Rudi [Garcia, coach] and Juni [Juninho, sporting director].

    "We realise that there is something wrong. It can be that and many other things. Friday, players who have not left will not leave."

    Lyon have made a slow start to the Ligue 1 season, collecting just six points from their opening five games.

  • Genoa confirm 14 positive cases of coronavirus Genoa confirm 14 positive cases of coronavirus

    Serie A side Genoa have announced 14 people at the club have returned positive tests for coronavirus.

    The cases, from among the playing squad and other staff, were confirmed following the 6-0 league defeat to Napoli on Sunday.

    "The club has activated all the procedures as per the protocol and informed the authorities. The club will give updates as the situation evolves," Genoa said in a statement on Monday.

    This news means Saturday's scheduled game against Torino could now be in doubt.

    It also means Napoli will likely need to carry out tests of their squad before Sunday's clash with champions Juventus.

    Sampdoria also confirmed on Monday that forward Keita Balde had tested positive for COVID-19 and will now follow the necessary health protocols.

    The player is due to join Sampdoria from Monaco this week on loan.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.