Higuain 'a dream' for LA Galaxy, says Schelotto

By Sports Desk April 17, 2020

Guillermo Barros Schelotto said Gonzalo Higuain would represent "a dream" signing for La Galaxy, who are also interested in Blaise Matuidi and Sami Khedira.

Higuain has appeared in all but three of Juventus' 26 Serie A games this season, starting 16 times for the league leaders, though the 32-year-old's long-term future remains unclear.

The Argentinian is under contract until the end of next season and while accepting a move to MLS is unlikely for Higuain, Schelotto would dearly love to bring his compatriot to the Galaxy.

"It would be a dream, we are talking about one of the best centre-forwards in the world," Schelotto told Tuttosport.

"But honestly, I find it difficult to bring him here immediately.

"I saw an interview with Gonzalo where he said he wanted to stay at Juventus and in Europe. Maybe it's too early for Higuain, but never say never in football.

"I personally know the whole family, his father Jorge and brother Federico. We have already brought in Ibra's [Zlatan Ibrahimovic] replacement in Chicharito [Javier] Hernandez and we are happy with him.

"In Higuain's case, it would be a separate matter. It's a dream for the future, but it won't be easy."

Higuain is not the only Juve player on Schelotto's radar, with midfielders Matuidi and Khedira potential targets too.

"Top players like Khedira and Matuidi could be interesting for us, even if it's impossible to make predictions," he added.

"Given the health emergency we are experiencing, we can't know what will happen in the summer and what kind of transfer market it will be."

Related items

  • Higuain misses penalty in tough Inter Miami debut Higuain misses penalty in tough Inter Miami debut

    Gonzalo Higuain endured a difficult debut as Inter Miami were beaten by Philadelphia Union in MLS on Sunday.

    Higuain, signed after leaving Serie A champions Juventus, missed a penalty as his side suffered a 3-0 loss at Subaru Park.

    The former Real Madrid forward almost made a dream start to his career in the United States, hitting the outside of the post with a bicycle kick in the 20th minute.

    With his team trailing 2-0, Higuain had a chance to get Inter Miami back into the game in the 77th minute, but he blazed a penalty over the crossbar.

    Higuain has failed to score with his past four penalty attempts in all competitions, as per Opta.

    Anthony Fontana, Ilsinho and Brenden Aaronson were on the scoresheet for Philadelphia as struggling Inter Miami were left in second bottom in the Eastern Conference.

  • Koulibaly tipped to stay at Napoli as nervous Gattuso waits for transfer window to close Koulibaly tipped to stay at Napoli as nervous Gattuso waits for transfer window to close

    Napoli director Cristiano Giuntoli believes star defender Kalidou Koulibaly will remain at the Serie A club, despite links to Manchester City and Paris Saint-Germain.

    Koulibaly had been strongly linked with Premier League giants City but Pep Guardiola's side agreed a deal to sign Benfica centre-back Ruben Dias on Sunday.

    Ligue 1 champions PSG are also reportedly interested following Thiago Silva's departure, while the likes of Manchester United and Liverpool have been linked previously.

    Asked about Koulibaly prior to Sunday's 6-0 demolition of Genoa, Giuntoli told Sky Sport Italia: "The team was completed in January with Stanislav Lobotka and Diego Demme, who can play in a few different roles. With Amir Rrahmani, [Victor] Osimhen and [Andrea] Petagna, we are complete, so will now try to release players who won't have much time on the pitch.

    "I think Koulibaly is staying, we are very happy and so is he. I believe that he is staying."

    Koulibaly helped keep a clean sheet as high-flying Napoli preserved their perfect start to the season against Genoa.

    Napoli are yet to concede in two Serie A fixtures this season, while scoring eight goals to top the standings.

    Gennaro Gattuso was also quizzed on Koulibaly following Giuntoli's comments and the Napoli head coach told Sky Sport Italia post-match: "I hope he remains with us, selfishly speaking, because he gives us so much both in technical terms and as a character.

    "The world has changed because of the pandemic and I realise all clubs need to balance the books. I hope the call won't arrive, but I'll be nervous about it until transfer deadline day."

    Senegal international Koulibaly has called Napoli home since arriving from Genk in 2014.

    The 29-year-old was instrumental as Napoli claimed the Coppa Italia title last season – the club's first piece of silverware since 2014.

  • Man City sign Ruben Dias as Otamendi joins Benfica Man City sign Ruben Dias as Otamendi joins Benfica

    Manchester City have signed centre-back Ruben Dias from Benfica in a transfer worth an initial £62million (€68m) with Nicolas Otamendi heading the opposite way in a separate deal.

    Portugal international Dias, 23, has been a regular for Primeira Liga side Benfica since emerging through the academy ahead of the 2017-18 campaign.

    Dias has been linked with a number of big-name clubs around Europe, including Manchester United, but rivals City have now reached an agreement with Benfica.

    The Portuguese side confirmed the news on their official website on Sunday, shortly before announcing a €15m (£13.67m) deal is in place for Otamendi, who must now undergo a medical.

    City will pay an additional €3.6m (£2.1m) in add-ons for Dias should he trigger various performance-related clauses.

    Dias captained Benfica in Saturday's victory over Moreirense and hugged his team-mates and sporting director Rui Costa as he left the field at full-time.

    "It was a special moment [with Costa] and I think everyone already knows why," Dias said after the game. "Obviously, people leave their mark on you, and the club also.

    "Without a doubt, it was very special for me. I am very happy. It was very important to consecrate this game with a goal, it was very special for me."

    Dias' arrival ends City manager Pep Guardiola's search for a right-sided centre-back, 16 months after long-serving Vincent Kompany departed the Etihad Stadium for Anderlecht.

    Otamendi – who played for Benfica's Portuguese rivals Porto between 2010 and 2014 – spent five years with City and started 31 games in all competitions last term.

    The 32-year-old won two Premier League titles, four EFL Cup trophies, two Community Shields and the FA Cup during his time in Manchester, having arrived from Valencia in 2015.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.