Rumour Has It: Ronaldo misses Real Madrid amid Juve doubts, Barca set Coutinho price

By Sports Desk April 04, 2020

Europe's major leagues have been shut down due to coronavirus, but Cristiano Ronaldo is still making headlines.

Ronaldo was in the midst of his second season with Juventus before the 2019-20 campaign was postponed last month.

But there are ongoing doubts over Ronaldo's future in Turin.

 

TOP STORY – RONALDO LINKED TO MADRID RETURN

Juventus superstar Cristiano Ronaldo misses Real Madrid and a reunion with his former club is not just a suggestion, according to Calciomercato.

Ronaldo is reportedly unhappy at Serie A champions Juve amid links to Paris Saint-Germain and another former team, Manchester United.

However, Calciomercato's report claims Ronaldo has eyes on Madrid but it will take a significant sum to prise the 35-year-old from Juve.

 

ROUND-UP

Barcelona have set their asking price for out-of-favour attacker Philippe Coutinho, who is on loan at Bayern Munich. The LaLiga champions want at least €80million (£70m) for the Brazilian. The likes of Chelsea, United, Arsenal and Tottenham have been linked.

- Diario AS says Borussia Dortmund are concerned about mounting speculation surrounding Madrid's interest in Erling Haaland. The Norwegian sensation only joined Dortmund in January.

Madrid are chasing Lille's midfield star Boubakary Soumare, according to Le10Sport. United and Liverpool have also been linked to the 21-year-old.

Juve are looking to complete a deal for Mauro Icardi, says Calciomercato. Icardi is on loan at PSG from Inter but the Argentina international wants to return to Italy.

Manchester City face an uphill battle trying to sign Raphael Varane. Defensa Central says Madrid are ready to turn down any bids for the Frenchman. According to Tuttosport, City have set their sights on three Inter players – Lautaro Martinez, Milan Skriniar and Alessandro Bastoni. Martinez has been tipped to join Barca.

- Diario AS claims Barca are keeping tabs on Juve midfielder Rodrigo Bentancur. It comes as Marca says Atletico Madrid are leading the race to sign Ivan Rakitic from Barca.

Milan are eyeing three candidates should star goalkeeper Gianluigi Donnarumma leave the club, reports Calciomercato. Donnarumma has been linked to Chelsea, Madrid and PSG and Napoli's Alex Meret, Udinese goalkeeper Juan Musso and Sporting CP's Luis Maximiano are being considered.

Related items

  • Mourinho: I wanted to make 11 substitutions at half-time Mourinho: I wanted to make 11 substitutions at half-time

    Jose Mourinho says he wanted to make 11 changes at half-time in Tottenham's 1-0 Europa League defeat to Royal Antwerp, conceding that his side were deservedly beaten.

    Giovani Lo Celso, Steven Bergwijn, Carlos Vinicius and Dele Alli, making his first start in over a month, were all taken off at the interval with Tottenham trailing to Lior Refaelov's first-half strike.

    Gareth Bale was next to make way on the hour-mark but the introduction of Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg, Erik Lamela, Lucas Moura, Son Heung-min and Harry Kane made little difference.

    And on the back of the chastening defeat in Belgium, Mourinho insists his fringe players can have no complaints about being overlooked for bigger matches.

    "I would have liked to make 11," he said of his decision to make a quadruple change at the break. "I didn't make five because I was afraid of a long 45 minutes without any changes to make. 

    "There's only one person to blame, and it is me. I had chosen the players to start. At half-time I tried to improve the situation. But it was not enough. The dynamic of the first half was there, the mentality was there and it's difficult to change. 

    "In the first half the game was very easy to play, lots of space. In the second half, we improved but then they played in a completely different way. It was very difficult. In the end, Antwerp got what they deserved and we also got what we deserved. 

    "It's a fair result. I'm always calm with it. The best team won and the worst team lost."

    Mourinho made five changes to Tottenham's starting line-up for the Group J clash ahead of a Premier League encounter with Brighton and Hove Albion on Sunday.

    Asked if any players put forward their case to start more regularly, Mourinho said: "Look, you know what our best team is. You know the same thing that I know and that everybody knows. 

    "But I think that the players, they deserve an opportunity. We have a big squad with lots of good players. It's my responsibility to give them opportunities. It's their responsibility to ask for more. 

    "Tonight, my future choices are going to be very easy. But again, there is only one responsible, not the players, it's my responsibility."

    Alli in particular struggled to get involved in the game during his 45 minutes on the field, losing possession 11 times, failing to muster any shots and attempting only 15 passes in the opposition half.

    "I don't want to analyse individually," Mourinho replied when asked about Alli's performance. "I don't like to do that, especially with you [the media]. 

    "It's fair to say that players with bad performances, they influence the team. But also a team influences individual performances. So it's not for me to individualise, and to bring some names to the table. 

    "You prefer to do that than myself. You always ask me why this player is not playing, why this player is not selected. Maybe now, you don't ask me that because you have the answer.

    "When you are a player with ambitions to be a first choice, and play in the most important matches, you have to show it.

    "That is an obvious thing. Everybody works the same, trains the same, learns the same, of course I expect. It's my entire responsibility."

    Tottenham did not manage a single attempt on target when chasing a goal in the second half, with the Belgian Pro League leaders holding on for a famous victory.

    "It's disappointing because I keep saying the team has to be a state of mind and you have to keep always every match to play well and to win," Mourinho said. "It's as simple as that. 

    "But it is more complicated, because you have to keep a certain motivational level. You have to be consistent. On Monday [against Burnley], we needed everything from every player. Of course it's frustrating we come here tonight and don't do the same."

  • Lille 2-2 Celtic: Lennon's side throw away two-goal lead Lille 2-2 Celtic: Lennon's side throw away two-goal lead

    Mohamed Elyounoussi's first-half double was not enough for Celtic as they squandered a two-goal lead to draw 2-2 with Lille in Thursday's Europa League Group H clash at Stade Pierre-Mauroy.

    Celtic attacker Elyounoussi went some way to easing the growing pressure on boss Neil Lennon with his brace in the space of four minutes against the in-form hosts, who are now unbeaten in 10 games this season.

    Scott Bain kept out Jonathan David's penalty and Sven Botman hit the crossbar before the interval in what was looking like being a frustrating day for Lille.

    But a first victory away at French opposition in nine attempts since 1966 ultimately eluded Lennon's men as Zeki Celik and Jonathan Ikone struck in the second half to snatch a point for the Ligue 1 club.

    Elyounoussi pulled the strings for Celtic from the early stages, setting up Albian Ajeti for a goal that was disallowed for offside and another chance that his team-mate skied over.

    But the Norway international took matters into his own hands by firing the visitors ahead with a fine curling effort from 25 yards that left Mike Maignan stranded.

    The finish for Elyounoussi's second was just as crisp as he guided a first-time shot away from Maignan into the bottom-left corner after being spotted by Jeremie Frimpong.

    David was denied by Bain from the penalty spot after being felled by Shane Duffy and Botman clipped the top of the crossbar with a shot as Lille pushed for a way back into the game.

    And they were given a lifeline through unmarked Celik's finish at the back post, the full-back bundling the ball past Bain after a corner was flicked into his path.

    Celtic were under siege and a second goal followed eight minutes later as Yusuf Yazici's mishit shot fell kindly for Ikone to spin and fire past Bain, ensuring the points were shared.

  • Royal Antwerp 1-0 Tottenham: Alli and Bale hooked as sloppy Spurs suffer setback Royal Antwerp 1-0 Tottenham: Alli and Bale hooked as sloppy Spurs suffer setback

    Jose Mourinho's big-name substitutes failed to save Tottenham from a 1-0 Europa League defeat at Royal Antwerp on Thursday.

    Dele Alli and Gareth Bale both came into the Spurs side but neither lasted an hour, the former withdrawn among four half-time changes as Mourinho's men trailed to Lior Refaelov's 29th-minute strike.

    The visiting coach turned first to Son Heung-min and then to Harry Kane - replacing Bale 13 minutes later - yet the in-form pair could not come up with a leveller despite a slightly improved second-half showing.

    Again the pre-match optimism prompted by beating Burnley on Monday dissipated, with Tottenham too often this season following big victories with inexplicable setbacks.

    While Spurs toiled from the outset, the Belgian Pro League leaders seized the biggest opportunity of the first half as Dieumerci Mbokani ripped the ball away from Ben Davies, raced towards goal and squared for Refaelov to control and lash into the net.

    Despite the raft of Mourinho changes, Antwerp twice could have increased their advantage early in the second half.

    More slack play - this time from Harry Winks - let Refaelov in, prompting a sublime recovery tackle from Davinson Sanchez, before Mbokani somehow missed the target when found by Koji Miyoshi with the goal at his mercy.

    Pressure increased on the Antwerp goal, but they were soon in again on the counter, only for Simen Juklerod to fire high into the stands with only Hugo Lloris to beat.

    Although that miss kept Tottenham in the match, they could not create a presentable opportunity for Son or Kane as Mourinho lost for the first time in 16 Europa League matches - including qualifiers.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.