Rumour Has It: Messi still a target for Inter Miami

By Sports Desk February 20, 2020

Inter Miami have their sights set on a big-name signing, with Lionel Messi reportedly among the possibilities.

With David Beckham among their owners, Inter Miami are preparing for their debut MLS season beginning next month.

Messi has been linked with the MLS club previously and those rumours are persisting.

 

TOP STORY – MESSI STILL A TARGET FOR INTER MIAMI

Barcelona great Messi is among the stars who could sign for Inter Miami, according to OKdiario.

Real Madrid midfielder Luka Modric and Paris Saint-Germain striker Edinson Cavani are also possibilities, the report says.

Messi reportedly bought an apartment in Miami in December, while he can leave Barcelona for free at season's end despite being contracted until 2021.

ROUND-UP

- Juventus have other plans should Paul Pogba not return to the club from Manchester United in the close season. Sport reports the Serie A giants are considering a move for Bayern Munich midfielder Thiago Alcantara, whose contract expires next year.

- Barcelona will announce Leganes striker Martin Braithwaite as their latest signing on Thursday, according to AS, which reports the LaLiga club are set to pay €18million for the Denmark international.

- Linked with RB Leipzig star Timo Werner, Liverpool are seemingly considering their options. Bild reports the European champions are tracking Milot Rashica, the 23-year-old who has scored 10 goals in 21 games for struggling Werder Bremen this season.

- Hansi Flick's future is unclear. Bayern Munich will wait until May to make a decision on the head coach, who has attracted interest from other clubs, according to Bild.

- Could Adam Lallana be set for a reunion with Brendan Rodgers? Sky Sports reports Leicester City have approached the Liverpool midfielder's representatives about a move at season's end. Lallana and Rodgers worked together at Anfield and the 31-year-old is coming out of contract.

- After an initial move for Marcos Alonso in January failed, Inter are still considering the Chelsea left-back, according to CalcioMercato. However, the report says the Serie A giants are unwilling to pay Chelsea's asking price of €30m (£25.1m).

Related items

  • Smalling bids not enough for move, says Man Utd boss Solskjaer Smalling bids not enough for move, says Man Utd boss Solskjaer

    Manchester United manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer explained Chris Smalling is still at the Premier League club because his asking price has not been met.

    Smalling was left out of the United squad that beat Luton Town 3-0 in the third round of the EFL Cup on Tuesday.

    The 30-year-old defender impressed on loan at Roma last season and the Serie A outfit are understood to want to sign Smalling on a permanent deal, although United are reportedly holding out for an £18million fee.

    "At the moment, we've not had any bids up to the level that we want," Solskjaer said after the game at Kenilworth Road.

    "So that's the situation."

    "That [Smalling's valuation] is not down to me, is it? I'm not the one negotiating between the clubs, but we haven't had sufficient bids there and that's it."

    United led on the stroke of half-time through a Juan Mata penalty but were largely lacklustre and needed an excellent save from debutant goalkeeper Dean Henderson before substitutes Marcus Rashford and Mason Greenwood made the game safe.

    Luton, like United, were much-changed and Solskjaer paid tribute to Nathan Jones' side.

    "You can see we need match-time," he said, having watched his first-choice United side lose their Premier League opener 3-1 against Crystal Palace at the weekend.

    "These players need match-time for sharpness. Levels in English football are getting better, that's their cup team as well, it's not the league team.

    "The standard is high in Championship and they did well. They made us work hard to go through, but there were some positives as well.

    "I liked the last couple of goals when the ball goes quickly forward, we drive at them. Nice finishes as well."

  • Sometimes things take time - Arteta urges patience with Saliba Sometimes things take time - Arteta urges patience with Saliba

    Mikel Arteta is happy to let William Saliba take his time adapting to life at Arsenal after the teenage defender's arrival in north London.

    The Gunners won the race to sign Saliba in July 2019 - reportedly beating rivals Tottenham to his signature - but he spent the 2019-20 campaign back on loan at Saint-Etienne as part of the deal.

    He featured 12 times for the Ligue 1 club before the domestic campaign was cut short by the coronavirus pandemic, though a foot injury kept him out between November and January, while Arsenal did not grant him permission to feature in the Coupe de France final against Paris Saint-Germain in July.

    Saliba has been absent from Arteta's matchday squads for their first two Premier League games but, ahead of potentially making his debut in the EFL Cup at Leicester City on Wednesday, the Gunners manager stressed he has been pleased with what he has seen so far from the 19-year-old.

    "I think William is doing really well," Arteta told reporters.

    "He's adapting to the country, he's adapting to our club. We have to bear in mind that he had a really challenging season last year with the amount of injuries that he had.

    "But he's a player who's going to be really important in our future, and sometimes things take some time and we have to respect that."

    Arteta led Arsenal to FA Cup glory in the previous campaign and added the Community Shield to the Emirates Stadium trophy cabinet at the start of this season.

    He views the EFL Cup as another major prize having been part of the Manchester City coaching staff when Pep Guardiola's team won the trophy in 2017-18 and 2018-19.

    Asked if bigger clubs were not taking the EFL Cup seriously, he replied: "I think they are. I think [in] the last few seasons, obviously the competition and the clubs have raised.

    "There's only one winner in this country with the Premier League and a lot of frustrated clubs, and now everybody wants a title.

    "You can see in the last few years, the teams, how strong a line-up they've been using, and the type of finals we've found in recent years.”

  • Chelsea exits for Rudiger and Hudson-Odoi not ruled out by Lampard Chelsea exits for Rudiger and Hudson-Odoi not ruled out by Lampard

    Frank Lampard is not ruling out a move away from Chelsea for Antonio Rudiger or Callum Hudson-Odoi.

    Rudiger is yet to feature for Chelsea this season and was left out of the matchday squad for the 2-0 loss to Liverpool at Stamford Bridge on Sunday.

    Hudson-Odoi has struggled for regular game time since returning from an Achilles injury in September last year and has only started one match since January.

    Chelsea have added Timo Werner, Hakim Ziyech, Kai Havertz, Ben Chilwell, Thiago Silva and Malang Sarr to their ranks since last season, while goalkeeper Edouard Mendy is expected to joint his week.

    Asked if his squad was too big and he had some major decisions to make before the transfer window closes on October 5, Lampard said: "Yeah, there are decisions for me to make, for the club to make and for the players themselves to make. That's the situation.

    "Of course, I have an idea in my head of the number I want to make the squad healthy, to have healthy competition but not have too many players feeling like they're out of squads, not getting the minutes they want.

    "Those are very much conversations we'll have moving forward. It doesn't mean we're forcing any one of those positions or areas to move players on, but those conversations will be ongoing in the next few weeks."

    On whether Rudiger or Hudson-Odoi could be on their way out, he said: "It remains to be seen because we're also in a period where the market is not acting like it has done in recent years, in terms of how players move or what level they move at.

    "Again the competitive games have just started, I'm very open to those conversations with the players as the next couple of weeks go along. My priority will always be making sure I maintain and keep the strongest squad I can for this club.

    "Of course, after that, the individual questions, individual conversations will happen within that, and I will try and make sure I go into the season once the window shuts with a squad that is competitive in a healthy way."

    Mason Mount, Tammy Abraham and Fikayo Tomori established themselves in the Chelsea squad last season having spent previous campaigns out on loan.

    Despite signing a five-year contract after a move to Bayern Munich failed to come to fruition, Hudson-Odoi remains on the fringes and Lampard urged the 19-year-old winger to prove he merits a regular place in the starting XI.

    "You say the players we've got in his position, I think at the moment we have Christian Pulisic injured, Hakim Ziyech injured, we played Timo Werner on the wing the other day, but the absolute natural winger at the minute if he's fit is Callum," said Lampard.

    "We know in a Premier League squad and the amount of games we're going to play that we're going to need competition in various areas and back-up in those areas, and competition to make those positions their own. And that's where Callum's at.

    "When I talk about Callum, he needs to train, he needs to show in training every day and when he gets opportunities in games he has done, and he will tomorrow [Wednesday] – alright, he will play against Barnsley [in the EFL Cup] – to show in every minute what he can do on and off the ball for the team. That's the position he's at at the minute.

    "He's had an early breakthrough in his career because he came through with the talent he had, he's had the injury. Now I just want to see him flourish again."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.