Pele allays health concerns: I'm fine

By Sports Desk February 14, 2020

Brazil great Pele allayed concerns over his health and welfare, insisting "I'm fine".

Pele's son Edinho said his iconic father felt "depressed" and was reluctant to leave the house due to problems with his hip.

However, three-time World Cup winner Pele – who turns 80 in October – rejected those health claims on Thursday.

"Thank you for your prayers and concerns," Pele said in a statement released. "I'm fine. I'm turning 80 this year. I have my good and bad days. This is normal for people my age.

"I'm not afraid, I'm determined and I'm confident in what I do. Last week, I had the honour of meeting the CBF [Brazilian Football Confederation] president in the studio I was shooting my documentary in. I had two photo sessions last month for campaigns that use my image and testimony.

"I have several upcoming events scheduled. I do not avoid meeting commitments from my always busy schedule. I continue to accept my physical limitations in the best possible way, but I intend to keep the ball rolling. God bless you all."

In an interview published by GloboEsporte.com on Monday, Edinho said: "He's very fragile in relation to mobility. He had a hip replacement and didn't have ideal or adequate rehabilitation.

"He has this mobility problem and that has set off a kind of depression. Imagine, he's the King, he was always such an imposing figure and today he can't walk properly."

Edinho added: "He's embarrassed, he doesn't want to go out, be seen, or do practically anything that involves leaving the house. He is very shy, reclusive."

Pele spent 18 years at Santos, making 1,281 appearances and scoring 1,091 goals – though not all of those came in official matches.

He remains Brazil's leading goalscorer with 77 and is considered one of the greatest footballers of all time.

Related items

  • Lautaro Martinez 'very happy' at Inter amid Barca links – agent Lautaro Martinez 'very happy' at Inter amid Barca links – agent

    Lautaro Martinez is "very happy" at Inter amid links to LaLiga giants Barcelona, according to his agent Beto Yaque.

    Martinez has been tipped to leave Inter for Barca at the end of the season, though the Italian side have regularly insisted they have no plans to sell the star forward.

    The 22-year-old's €111million (£98.8m) release clause expired in July and Yaque played down the prospect of a transfer from San Siro to Camp Nou.

    "Lautaro's transfer is more in the media than real life," Yaque told La Figura de la Cancha.

    "Lautaro has three years on his contract with Inter and is very happy where he is.

    "He's had a very good season, still has the Europa League to play for and I hope Inter can go all the way in that competition."

    Yaque added: "I've never needed to give him advice and I don't need to now either. He's always been a complete player and has matured over the years."

    Martinez scored 14 Serie A goals as Antonio Conte's Inter finished second and a point behind champions Juventus in 2019-20.

    The Argentina international has managed 19 goals across all competitions ahead of Inter's Europa League quarter-final against Bayer Leverkusen on Monday.

  • Coronavirus: Goias v Sao Paulo postponed just before kick-off after 10 players test positive Coronavirus: Goias v Sao Paulo postponed just before kick-off after 10 players test positive

    Goias had their opening game of the Campeonato Brasileiro season against Sao Paulo postponed after 10 of the club's players tested positive for COVID-19.

    In the hours leading up to kick-off on Sunday, Goias announced they had only that day been informed 10 of their 26-man squad had returned a positive result and eight of those were set to feature in the starting line-up.

    Tests carried out on Thursday were deemed invalid by the Brazilian Football Confederation (CBF) due to being "improperly packaged", the club said.

    After receiving the results from a new round of testing undertaken on Friday less than 24 hours before kick-off, Goias sought to have the game suspended.

    Players took to the field to warm-up as it remained unclear whether the match would go ahead, but a decision was taken just before the scheduled kick-off at 16:00 local time (19:00 GMT).

    The president of the CBF's medical commission Jorge Pagura told SporTV: "As soon as it was clear that the results came out, that Goias had 10 players with a positive test, we started to contact the Goias medical department.

    "Goias requested, as is its right, to do a counter-test. We awaited the results.

    "In order not to lose the game we waited the maximum amount of time. Near the time to make the decision came the result of the 10 positives. At that time, health comes first."

    Results of the counter-tests carried out by Goias were only received 10 minutes before kick-off and nine of the initial group of 10 were positive again, club president Marcelo Almeida told a news conference.

    Sao Paulo approved of the decision not to go ahead with the game.

    "Sao Paulo expresses its support and informs that it is in agreement with the decision to postpone the game this Sunday, in Goiania," the club posted on Twitter.

    "There is nothing more important, at this time, than preserving health and reflecting to society the important of taking care."

    Brazil has seen over three million confirmed cases of coronavirus and more than 100,000 deaths as a result of the virus.

  • Real Madrid was not the right step - Nagelsmann Real Madrid was not the right step - Nagelsmann

    Julian Nagelsmann has revealed he turned down an offer from Real Madrid as it was not the right step for his career.

    Then at Hoffenheim, Nagelsmann was on a shortlist of candidates to replace Zinedine Zidane at the Santiago Bernabeu in 2018, but Julen Lopetegui was eventually appointed to the post. 

    Lopetegui's tenure ended in October that year, however, while Santiago Solari also having a brief spell in charge before Zidane returned in March 2019.

    Nagelsmann, meanwhile, opted to join RB Leipzig, taking charge in 2019 and guiding the side to a third-placed finish in the Bundesliga. The 33-year-old has confirmed he decided against joining Madrid, as he thought he was not yet ready to take on a job of such magnitude. 

    "We had phone calls, but in the end the one who decided was me," Nagelsmann told Marca ahead of Leipzig's Champions League quarter-final with Atletico Madrid.  

    "I believed that it was still not the right step to go to Real Madrid. I was one of the candidates and the list was not very long.  

    "For me, it was very important. I had a good chat with [Madrid general director] Jose Angel Sanchez and we decided that it was still not the right step.  

    "We agreed that we could talk again in the future if Real Madrid needed a coach, and if I was available." 

    Nagelsmann added that Leipzig provided the ideal platform for him to develop as a coach. 

    "I wanted the next step to be logical. I try to plan a career in football, even if it is difficult," he said. 

    "I'm a young boy, I don't have to go to the top shelf right away either. I give myself time to develop. Leipzig went to great lengths to sign me. That was the most important thing. 

    "Relatively fast I had an offer on the table. We had good conversations and I saw that it was a good next step. A bigger club, with a bigger budget than Hoffenheim, which would allow me to continue developing.  

    "They have also given me a free hand to introduce my ideas. I do not have to permanently justify what I do, but I have the possibility to evolve and transfer my ideas to the field of play.  

    "It was a good next step in my career to prepare myself and in the future, maybe."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.