Former Barca boss Valverde prefers Australia over Premier League

By Sports Desk February 13, 2020

Former Barcelona head coach Ernesto Valverde said he would prefer working in Australia rather than the Premier League.

Valverde was sacked by Barca in January, despite leading the Spanish giants to back-to-back LaLiga titles and Copa del Rey and Supercopa de Espana success.

Contemplating his next move as Valverde enjoys a break from football, a shock A-League gig is high on the 56-year-old's list.

"People ask me sometimes 'How about the Premier League?' and I say 'Well actually I'd like to go to Australia'," Valverde said.

"A career in football does not last forever and sometimes you think you have to take the opportunity to live in strange places."

Valverde referenced former Barca captain Andres Iniesta, who left Camp Nou for Japanese side Vissel Kobe in 2018.

"I applauded Andres when he told me he's going to Japan," added Valverde. I thought 'Wow, he gets to understand a different culture and different people', and I am also very interested in Japan.

"You can take great photos in Japan. There are many places I'd like to go to. We'll see what I end up doing, I haven't been out of work for very long so I don't have to decide anything yet, I haven't got a very clear idea at the moment.

"It's possible I'd go somewhere abroad. The truth is I like to do strange things so I wouldn't rule it out."

Liverpool legend Robbie Fowler is currently in charge of A-League outfit Brisbane Roar, while former Reds and Bayern Munich star Markus Babbel was working in Australia until he was sacked by Western Sydney Wanderers last month.

Related items

  • Dortmund excited to keep Man Utd target Sancho for at least one more year - Reus Dortmund excited to keep Man Utd target Sancho for at least one more year - Reus

    Marco Reus is excited Jadon Sancho will remain at Borussia Dortmund for "at least one more year", with Manchester United seemingly destined to be frustrated in their pursuit of the England forward.

    United's interest in taking Sancho to Old Trafford has been no secret, but Dortmund have been steadfast in their refusal to sell him for anything under their reported €120million (£108m) asking price.

    Sancho is under contract until 2023 and Reus is delighted at the prospect of another campaign alongisde the former Manchester City youth player at Signal Iduna Park.

    "For us it's great. We were all excited that he will stay at least one more year," Dortmund captain Reus told reporters. "Simply because he keeps on delivering goals and assists via which we will collect a lot of points."

    Reus does not yet know the extent of Sancho's potential and is unwilling to say whether he has the promise to perform at the level of Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo.

    "He's a crucial player for us and if he one day will be as big a player as the other two [Ronaldo and Messi] we will see.

    "He simply needs time, a lot of experience, and there will be times where everything's not going that well and one will see how he will get through that.

    "But I think he has got the necessary confidence and quality to succeed."

    Dortmund face Bayern Munich in the German Super Cup on Wednesday, having suffered a surprise 2-0 defeat to Augsburg in the Bundesliga on Saturday.

    Sancho was extremely influential as Dortmund finished second in the Bundesliga last season.

    His 17 league goals trailed only Robert Lewandowski (34) and Timo Werner (28). Thomas Muller (21) was the lone player to have more assists than Sancho's 16 in the Bundesliga in 2019-20.

  • Costa and Suarez can start together, says Simeone after stunning six-goal start Costa and Suarez can start together, says Simeone after stunning six-goal start

    Diego Simeone is confident new signing Luis Suarez and Diego Costa can thrive together in the same team.

    Atletico made a spectacular start to LaLiga on Sunday, thrashing Granada 6-1 at home with substitute Suarez scoring twice and adding an assist after replacing Costa with 19 minutes remaining.

    Club president Enrique Cerezo insisted this week that Costa was a player Atletico needed to keep despite the arrival of Suarez from Barcelona.

    And Simeone had no qualms with that as he spoke ahead of Wednesday's away match against Huesca.

    "Costa and Suarez can start or they can play during the game, together and separately," Simeone said.

    "Of course they can play together, but you have to see when and in what situation. The important thing is that both of them give us all the fire they have.

    "Both Diego with his personality and Luis with his status in the game are very important players. We will see who starts on Wednesday.

    "When the president speaks, everyone is behind him. I agree with what the president said [about Costa].

    "[Suarez has shown] absolute humility, despite the experience he brings. He wants to start showing how important he can be for the team on the pitch and in the day-to-day work for the group."

    Asked if Suarez's Uruguay team-mate Edinson Cavani would also be joining his attacking options, Simeone said: "I am not talking about the players we do not have on the squad and who cannot help us against Huesca, which is the important thing. 

    "Everyone knows Cavani, but we only care about the players who can lead us to the goals we set ourselves every year."

    The emphatic start has seen Ateltico heavily praised and billed as title contenders in the media, with Joao Felix also among their group of star-studded forwards.

    "I do not stop for criticism or flattery," added Simeone. "They are part of the opinion that journalism needs to convey about what it sees and their work must be respected. 

    "We have to go game by game. Our opponents played very good games against Villarreal and Valencia so it will be a difficult game on a pitch where they need to be strong."

  • Cuisance, Martinez could stay at Bayern as Flick hints at squad concerns Cuisance, Martinez could stay at Bayern as Flick hints at squad concerns

    Hansi Flick suggested Michael Cuisance and Javi Martinez could yet stay at Bayern Munich as he made it clear he wants a strong squad for 2020-21.

    Cuisance has been linked with Leeds United, having started only three games in the Bundesliga since joining from Borussia Monchengladbach last year.

    Martinez, 32, has been tipped to move back to Athletic Bilbao following eight hugely successful years in Germany.

    However, head coach Flick appears happy to keep both players in his plans in order to give Bayern the best chance possible of competing on all fronts again this season.

    They have brought in Alexander Nubel, teenager Tanguy Nianzou and Germany star Leroy Sane in the transfer window, but the latter will be out until after the next international break with a knee injury.

    With David Alaba also struggling and the fixture list piling up – Bayern face Borussia Dortmund in the DFL-Supercup on Wednesday and Hertha Berlin in the league on Sunday – Flick wants as many options as possible.

    "We last saw each other yesterday. We have no new information since Thursday. As long as he's in my team, I'll plan with him as well. Javi has done a lot for the club," he told reporters of Martinez on Tuesday.

    "Both [Cuisance and Martinez] trained today, so I assume both will be in the squad tomorrow. We all know that, shortly before the transfer window closes, the situation is not easy.

    "Hasan [Salihamidzic, sporting director] and I agree: the new season will not only be difficult for Bayern. We have until October 5. For now, the fact is that Mika and Javi are still in the squad. They are part of our team.

    "One thing is also clear: we want to win trophies and games. The fact we lost to Hoffenheim is very far from my thoughts. But if we want to achieve objectives, we have to have a squad available.

    "On October 15, we play in the DFB-Pokal; on October 17, we play in the Bundesliga. Before that, there are international matches. I didn't create those dates – you have to think about whether that makes sense."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.