Rumour Has It: Man City eye Messi for free amid Barcelona troubles

By Sports Desk February 06, 2020

Manchester City are reportedly lining up a move for Lionel Messi in a free transfer amid the star's troubles at Barcelona.

Messi, 32, has been involved in a public disagreement with the club's technical secretary Eric Abidal, leading to immediate questions over his future at Camp Nou.

City, and former boss Pep Guardiola, look ready to make their move.

 

TOP STORY – MAN CITY EYE MESSI FOR FREE AMID BARCELONA TROUBLES

Manchester City will swoop for Messi for free if the star cannot resolve his problems at Barcelona, according to The Sun.

While Messi is contracted until 2021, Barcelona president Josep Maria Bartomeu confirmed last year the Argentina international was free to leave after the 2019-20 season.

Messi worked with Guardiola at Barcelona, with the duo winning three LaLiga titles and two Champions League crowns among numerous other trophies at the club.

ROUND-UP

- There could be major changes coming at Arsenal. The Sun reports Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, Alexandre Lacazette and Mesut Ozil are at risk with Arsenal perhaps prepared to sell their stars to finance a spending spree.

- Manchester United and Chelsea are set to go head-to-head in a bid to sign Lyon forward Moussa Dembele at the end of the season, according to The Mirror. Dembele, 23, has scored 12 Ligue 1 goals in 22 matches this season and has been linked with a move to Old Trafford previously.

- Staying in Manchester and City must wait until April to resolve the future of Leroy Sane after the attacker's switch of agent, according to The Telegraph and Bild. Sane is a reported target for Bayern Munich and Manchester City will have to wait to discuss the Germany international's future due to a clause in his deal with his previous agency.

- With Ousmane Dembele facing a long spell on the sidelines, Barcelona are eyeing Girona forward Cristhian Stuani, according to Deportes Cuatro, which reports the 33-year-old Uruguayan has a €20million release clause. Barca would need approval to complete the deal outside the transfer window.

- Could Liverpool have to search for a new back-up goalkeeper? Estadio Deportivo reports Real Betis are considering a move for their former shot-stopper Adrian, who is contracted to the European champions until 2021, with the club holding an option for a further year.

Related items

  • Messi to Inter? Of course Nerazzurri can sign Barca star – Cauet Messi to Inter? Of course Nerazzurri can sign Barca star – Cauet

    Former Inter midfielder Benoit Cauet insisted the Nerazzurri can sign Barcelona superstar Lionel Messi.

    Messi has been linked to Inter since ex-president Massimo Moratti said the six-time Ballon d'Or winner joining the Serie A club was not a "forbidden dream".

    Barca captain Messi is contracted to the LaLiga champions until 2021 but his future is far from certain at Camp Nou, where he has clashed with board members this season.

    "Of course Inter can sign Lionel Messi, there are no doubts that they could," Cauet, who won the UEFA Super Cup with Inter in 1997-98, said in an Instagram Live interview.

    "President Steven Zhang has the financial capabilities and the potential ambition. He is a president who thinks big."

    Messi – who moved to Barca from boyhood club Newell's Old Boys in 2001 – had scored 24 goals across all competitions before the 2019-20 season was postponed due to coronavirus.

    The 32-year-old attacker tops the LaLiga scoring charts with 19 goals through 27 rounds.

  • 'Who is the Greatest?' Pele? Messi? Ronaldo? 'Who is the Greatest?' Pele? Messi? Ronaldo?
  • Coronavirus: Hancock welcomes 'big-hearted decision' as PL players announce charity fund Coronavirus: Hancock welcomes 'big-hearted decision' as PL players announce charity fund

    Matt Hancock, the United Kingdom's health secretary, has praised Premier League players for their "big-hearted decision" to set up the #PlayersTogether fund amid the coronavirus pandemic.

    Stars from England's top flight have announced the creation of a charity fund to help health services in the UK fight against COVID-19.

    Players including Liverpool and Manchester United captains Jordan Henderson and Harry Maguire confirmed the plans in a social media statement.

    Hancock last week urged elite footballers in England to play their part and doubled down on his comments in an interview at the weekend.

    Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, Wayne Rooney, Gary Neville and Gary Lineker have been among the high-profile figures stating it is unfair for footballers to be singled out during the debate over salary reductions amid the economic uncertainty caused by the pandemic.

    And Hancock was swift to acknowledge the gesture after it was confirmed on Wednesday.

    He wrote on social media: "Warmly welcome this big-hearted decision from so many Premier League footballers to create #PlayersTogether to support NHS Charities. You are playing your part."

    Manchester United forward Marcus Rashford explained the players were eager to make sure money made its way to the frontline as the world struggles against the proliferation of the virus.

    "For us, we want to help in the best way possible and getting money to the right places is a massive thing," he said to BT Sport.

    "It took a lot of time, a lot of conversations between the players and we came to a decision that this was the best way to do it. The club have supported that, so everyone is happy.

    "You can get some backlash if you try to help but don't do it in the best way possible, so we wanted to take our time with the decision, and we did that."

    Lineker had previously questioned why other successful members of society were not coming under the same scrutiny as footballers.

    And he wrote on Twitter: "Footballers are doing their bit as I was confident they would.

    "Let's hope that others that are in a position to help, those that weren't unfairly targeted, do likewise. Proud of our players."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.