Barcelona agree €31m deal to sign Francisco Trincao from Braga

By Sports Desk January 31, 2020

Francisco Trincao will join Barcelona on July 1 after the club confirmed they had agreed a €31million deal with Braga to sign the Portuguese forward.

Trincao will sign a five-year contract at Camp Nou and his release clause has been set at an eye-watering €500m.

The 20-year-old was the joint top-scorer at the 2018 European Under-19 Championships as Portugal claimed victory.

He has featured in 21 games across all competitions for Braga this season, contributing three goals and six assists, after making his first-team debut for the club in December 2018.

A versatile player capable of operating across the forward line, he will provide a further attacking option for Barcelona once the 2020-21 season gets under way.

The club had been linked with Richarlison and Willian this week but on Thursday director Guillermo Amor ruled out any further incomings during the January transfer window.

Related items

  • Rumour Has It: Liverpool put Werner plans on hold, Dybala set to re-sign at Juventus Rumour Has It: Liverpool put Werner plans on hold, Dybala set to re-sign at Juventus

    Liverpool have reportedly put their plans to sign Timo Werner on hold, while Paulo Dybala's future could be clearer soon.

    Werner, 24, was heavily linked with a move to Liverpool from RB Leipzig, but the coronavirus pandemic may have changed that.

    Meanwhile, Dybala's future is set to be clear shortly.

     

    TOP STORY – LIVERPOOL PUT WERNER PLANS ON HOLD

    Liverpool have put their plans to sign Werner on hold and also stopped contract talks due to coronavirus, according to The Daily Mail.

    There is uncertainty over the financial statuses of sporting clubs around the world due to coronavirus and Liverpool are waiting until there is greater clarity.

    Star midfielder Georginio Wijnaldum and defender Dejan Lovren are among the Liverpool players out of contract in 2021.

    One club seemingly not prepared to wait are Juventus, with CalcioMercato reporting Dybala is getting closer to a contract extension with the Serie A giants.

     

    ROUND-UP

    - Luka Modric is going nowhere. AS claims the midfielder will see out his contract, which runs until 2021, at Real Madrid. Just what Madrid's midfield looks like next season remains to be seen. Sport says Madrid will let James Rodriguez leave and bring Martin Odegaard back from his loan spell at Real Sociedad. It also reports Takefusa Kubo will be used as part of a deal to bring back Odegaard.

    - Talk about a deal that would see Neymar return to Barcelona and Antoine Griezmann join Paris Saint-Germain remains alive. According to Sport, PSG would welcome Griezmann while they attempt to re-sign Kylian Mbappe to unite the France team-mates at club level.

    - One player unlikely to be at PSG is Edinson Cavani. Tuttosport reports Napoli are thinking about bringing the forward, who is out of contract at the end of the season, back to the Stadio San Paolo.

    - Marc-Andre ter Stegen's future remains unclear. Sport claims Barcelona and the goalkeeper are no closer to renewing a contract that will expire in 2022.

    - Henrikh Mkhitaryan is seemingly happy on loan at Roma, but whether he stays remains to be seen. The Daily Express says Arsenal have rejected two bids – the last one around €11.4million (£10m) – from the Serie A club, who may instead turn to Chelsea's Pedro.

    - As they plan a move for Borussia Dortmund star Jadon Sancho, Chelsea have told Willian he has no chance of getting a three-year deal, according to the Mirror. Willian is out of contract at the end of the season.

  • On this day in sport: Brathwaite leaves Stokes shattered, Popovich's sharp exit, Messi milestone On this day in sport: Brathwaite leaves Stokes shattered, Popovich's sharp exit, Messi milestone

    Ben Stokes must have endured nightmares over this day four years ago, when Carlos Brathwaite smashed West Indies to T20 World Cup glory in such dramatic fashion.

    Gregg Popovich also has bad memories of April 3, having been ejected only 63 seconds into the San Antonio Spurs' NBA clash with the Denver Nuggets last year.

    Lionel Messi scored two penalties when Barcelona beat Milan to reach the Champions League semi-finals on this day back in 2012.

    We take a look back at April 3 in sporting history.

     

    2016 - 'Remember the name' - Brathwaite goes berserk

    Stokes has had plenty to celebrate in the past year, but the England all-rounder endured a horror show at Eden Gardens in Kolkata.

    Windies all-rounder Brathwaite was the star of the show, blasting Stokes for four sixes off the first four balls of the final over to ensure his side became the first to win two World T20 titles.

    Commentator and former West Indies bowler Ian Bishop belted out "remember the name" when Brathwaite sealed a stunning victory, having needed 19 off the final over.

    While Stokes has gone on to better things, he will certainly not have forgotten the name of Brathwaite. 

     

    2019 - Off you pop

    Some spectators may not have taken their seats when Spurs coach Popovich was given his marching orders 12 months ago.

    He took exception to a non-foul call and was issued a technical by official Mark Ayotte before being handed another by David Guthrie just over a minute after tip-off in an encounter with Denver.

    The Nuggets went on to win 113-85 three nights after Popovich was also ejected during a loss to the Sacramento Kings.

    2012 - Milestone for Messi as Milan crash out

    There have been many days when Messi achieved a milestone and his half-century of Champions League goals came eight years ago to the day.

    The Barcelona superstar made no mistake from the penalty spot twice as the Catalan giants beat Milan 3-1 to reach the last four.

    There were no goals in the first leg at San Siro, but Messi proved to the match-winner, with Andres Iniesta netting the third. Chelsea ended Barca's run at the semi-final stage, though, winning 3-2 on aggregate.

  • Zanetti hopes 'asset' Lautaro Martinez has long Inter career Zanetti hopes 'asset' Lautaro Martinez has long Inter career

    Lautaro Martinez is an "asset" for Inter and is happy at the Serie A club despite transfer links, according to their vice-president Javier Zanetti.

    Martinez, 22, is reportedly being targeted by the likes of Barcelona and Real Madrid after impressing at Inter.

    The Argentina international has scored 16 goals in 31 games in all competitions this season.

    Zanetti said Martinez was happy at San Siro, where he arrived from Racing Club for a reported €22.7million in 2018.

    "I'm happy to talk about [Lautaro] because when we signed him we had been following him for some time," he told Sky Sport on Thursday.

    "He was one of the most promising players in Argentine football and [Diego] Milito thought he'd have a big future.

    "Now he's an asset for us and he's grown a lot. I see him training every week. He's happy with us and I hope he stays for a long time."

    Martinez had helped Inter sit third, nine points behind leaders Juventus, in Serie A when the season was suspended due to the coronavirus pandemic.

    Zanetti hopes normal life can resume soon in Italy, which has been hit hard by coronavirus, with more than 13,900 deaths.

    "Thinking about recovery is very difficult today. Until April 13 it is right to stay home to allow the epidemiological curve to go down, then we will return to normal life gradually," he said.

    "We are in a dramatic situation all over the world. The coronavirus is affecting many populations and should not be underestimated."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.