Estudiantes trying to sign Man Utd's Marcos Rojo, sporting director Veron claims

By Sports Desk January 22, 2020

Manchester United defender Marcos Rojo is a target for Estudiantes and they are "working" on his signing, according to the Argentine club's sporting director Juan Sebastian Veron.

Rojo joined United from Sporting CP in 2014 but has rarely been considered first choice, with injuries a regular problem for him, while he has also seemingly failed to convince incumbent manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.

This season the 29-year-old has featured just three times in the Premier League and media reports suggest United are actively trying to offload the centre-back, who is said to be on a wage of around £130,000-a-week.

Argentina international Rojo came through Estudiantes' academy and represented the first team before leaving for a brief spell with Spartak Moscow prior to joining Sporting.

But his family are reportedly eager to return to Argentina, and Veron – a former United player – is hopeful of being able to strike a deal.

He is quoted as saying by La Nacion: "Hopefully United can see that there is no economic issue that we can match, but that it [the deal] happens in other ways and that we can attract him. We are working so that he can come back.

"He has everything to keep playing Europe, but he wants continuity."

Related items

  • Kimmich: Bayern considering joint protest over George Floyd death Kimmich: Bayern considering joint protest over George Floyd death

    Bayern Munich are considering a joint protest over the death of George Floyd, with Joshua Kimmich keen for players to use their platform to help.

    Floyd died in police custody in Minneapolis last week after an officer knelt on his neck while he lay handcuffed on the ground, sparking demonstrations and riots over racism and police brutality across the United States and beyond.

    Jadon Sancho, Achraf Hakimi, Weston McKennie and Marcus Thuram all made gestures of support at the weekend, which were examined by the German Football Association (DFB).

    FIFA urged leagues to use common sense on the issue given the context and on Wednesday the DFB said no players will be sanctioned for showing solidarity with anti-racism messages.

    Kimmich revealed Bundesliga leaders Bayern have discussed the possibility of protesting together when they face Bayer Leverkusen at the weekend.

    "As a football player you have a big power in this world. My opinion is we should feel this responsibility and say something like Sancho did," said Kimmich.

    "It's good that it's not just one player. Maybe it is also an option to say something as a team. "We are one world, one club, one football team. It doesn't matter if you are black or white.

    "We as footballers, like with Sancho, have a lot of power to reach other people, to be role models and to say something.

    "What we say to people outside gives us a big chance to make a statement.

    "We discussed it and maybe we can do something. We maybe have to do something because we cannot give something like this a place."

  • Coronavirus: Sancho among Dortmund stars to break COVID-19 protocol with haircut Coronavirus: Sancho among Dortmund stars to break COVID-19 protocol with haircut

    Borussia Dortmund will remind their players of their responsibilities after Jadon Sancho and some of his team-mates broke the German Football League's (DFL) coronavirus protocol to get a haircut.

    In photographs published by BILD, Sancho, Axel Witsel, Thorgan Hazard, Raphael Guerreiro, Dan-Axel Zagadou and Manuel Akanji were seen getting a trim from barber Winnie Nana Karkari at their homes without wearing masks.

    According to DFL regulations, players should have no contact with the public, stay at home and receive no visitors.

    In a statement released to BILD, Dortmund said: "It is pretty usual that our guys must get their hair cut after all these months. But it is surely a no-go, from both sides, not to wear a mask.

    "We will remind our players about that very, very clearly. Also, the barber should ask himself about his behaviour too."

    Karkari claimed he followed strict hygiene procedures and was wearing his mask at all times other than when pictured.

    He said: "I only took off the mask for the photo, otherwise I followed all hygiene measures very precisely.

    "I disinfected every machine before every customer, always cut with gloves even independently of coronavirus – and I am very, very fussy."

    Dortmund fell seven points behind Bundesliga leaders Bayern Munich after a 1-0 loss to Hansi Flick's side at Signal Iduna Park last week.

    They are next in action at home to Hertha Berlin on Saturday.

  • Coronavirus: Henderson and De Bruyne among Premier League stars raffling shirts for NHS Coronavirus: Henderson and De Bruyne among Premier League stars raffling shirts for NHS

    A number of Premier League stars have put signed shirts up for a charity raffle to raise money for health services in the United Kingdom during the coronavirus pandemic.

    Top-flight players launched their '#PlayersTogether' fund in April, an initiative working alongside NHS Charities Together.

    In the latest development on Wednesday, players donated over 500 signed jerseys to the Shirts for Heroes raffle on eBay, with each ticket costing £5.

    Liverpool captain Jordan Henderson, who was said to be prominent in the initial movement, was among those to post of their involvement on Twitter.

    Henderson and team-mate Virgil van Dijk each quickly gathered more than 150 ticket sales.

    Manchester City's midfield duo Kevin De Bruyne and David Silva were also involved, along with Manchester United skipper Harry Maguire.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.