Sidelined Reggae Boy Corey Burke could be Europe bound

By January 13, 2020
Cory Burke Cory Burke

Reggae Boy Cory Burke may be finding his way back onto a professional pitch if his club, the Philadephia Union can have their way.

The 28-year-old Burke has been playing for Portmore United, despite having a contract with the Philadelphia Union in the United States’ Major League because he lost his P1 status early last year.

A P1 visa is applicable to athletes entering the United States to perform at a specific athletic competition as an individual athlete or as part of a team at an internationally recognized level of performance.

Burke’s misfortune was beneficial to Portmore United, for whom he turned out in the interim.

Burke’s paperwork was complete recently and he is now well on the way to being able to apply for a green card but until then, the Philadephia Union the team he has been playing on since 2017 when they bought him from the Bethlehem Steel, will be loaning him out.

The striker, who has scored 11 goals in his 20 appearances for Portmore, will now turn out for Austrian outfit, SKN St Polten.

Polten, the 2016 Austrian Champions, now sits ninth in a 12-team table, just three points from bottom.

“I think I found a pretty good solution for him. He is on his way at this moment,” said Philadephia’s Sporting Director Ernst Tanner.

“Everything is not written, but we have an agreement and Cory already has an agreement with the club.”

According to Tanner, the loan spell with St Polten is to get Burke playing at a high level again before his re-integration into the MLS system.

“I think they have a good situation for him, as he will join a club where the coach is a friend of mine and he knows everything about the player,” Tanner said.

“The goal is to give him match practice on the higher level than he has had so far and bring him back at the beginning of May if possible,” he added.

“He can re-apply for a green card by the end of April, and that’s what we have in mind. Loan him out until then and then bringing him back.” 

Paul-Andre Walker

Paul-Andre is the Managing Editor at SportsMax.tv. He comes to the role with almost 20 years of experience as journalist. That experience includes all facets of media. He began as a sports Journalist in 2001, quickly moving into radio, where he was an editor before becoming a news editor and then an entertainment editor with one of the biggest media houses in the Caribbean.

Related items

  • Atletico Madrid 3-0 Real Mallorca: Morata at the double for Simeone's in-form side Atletico Madrid 3-0 Real Mallorca: Morata at the double for Simeone's in-form side

    Alvaro Morata scored twice as Atletico Madrid maintained their unbeaten run since the resumption of LaLiga, easing to a 3-0 victory over Real Mallorca at the Wanda Metropolitano. 

    Diego Simeone's in-form side followed up Tuesday's impressive performance in the 2-2 draw at Barcelona by brushing aside relegation-threatened opponents, in the process strengthening their position inside the top four. 

    Morata made the most of Mallorca players encroaching too soon into the penalty area to score his first from the spot, VAR giving him a reprieve after Manolo Reina had saved his initial effort. 

    Mallorca’s captain guessed correctly with the re-taken spot-kick too, yet Morata had enough height on his strike to beat the goalkeeper and move into double figures for league goals this season. 

    The striker had missed an earlier opening as Aleti started impressively, while both Yannick Carrasco and Joao Felix failed to hit the target with excellent opportunities before the opener arrived in the 29th minute.  

    Mallorca had thrashed nearest rivals Celta Vigo 5-1 at home in midweek and had their moments in attack before the break, Takefusa Kubo looking particularly bright.

    However, any hope of the visitors claiming a bonus in the capital disappeared when Atleti doubled their advantage in added time at the end of the first half, the excellent Marcos Llorente - lining up on the right wing - crossing low for Morata to tap in at the back post.

    Scoring just prior to the break allowed Atleti to coast through the second half, though they did add to their tally. 

    Captain Koke seized on a weak clearing header to get away a strike that took a heavy deflection off Antonio Raillo, wrong-footing the helpless Reina.


    What does it mean? From Atleti-low to riding high

    It is now five wins and two draws for Simeone's squad since they returned to action in the middle of June, a run of form that has eased concerns about finishing outside the Champions League places.

    His decision to use Llorente - viewed more as a holding midfielder when he signed from Real Madrid –  in an advanced position has been a masterstroke, with the 25-year-old catching the eye again out wide having also played recently as a secondary striker.

    While the surge comes too late to mount a title challenge, things are looking up for Atletico. That is not the case for 18th-placed Mallorca, though, as they now have just four games left to try and retain their top-flight status.

    Marcos makes his mark 

    Morata will take the headlines with his first-half brace, yet Llorente produced the eye-catching performance. He completed over 93 per cent of his attempted passes and created two opportunities.

    Little to celebrate for Joao Felix

    It has been a testing first season at Atleti for Joao Felix. On the one-year anniversary of his big-money move from Benfica, the Portuguese forward fluffed his lines in front of goal, failing to hit the target with his three attempts before being replaced after just 54 minutes.

    What's next? 

    Atleti take on another team in relegation trouble on Tuesday, heading on the road to face Celta Vigo. Mallorca, meanwhile, have extra time to recover before they host Levante on Thursday.

  • Charlton Athletic 0-1 Millwall: Cooper wakes Lions from slumber Charlton Athletic 0-1 Millwall: Cooper wakes Lions from slumber

    Jake Cooper scored a second-half winner as Millwall defeated Charlton Athletic 1-0 in a turgid Championship affair at the Valley on Friday. 

    Centre-back Cooper fired home the rebound in the 81st minute after home goalkeeper Dillon Phillips parried Connor Mahoney's effort. 

    It proved the difference between the teams in a game of few chances. Macauley Bonne was denied by Millwall goalkeeper Bartosz Bialkowski, while Phillips had brilliantly saved from Jed Wallace's close-range strike shortly before the break.

    Millwall climb to eighth courtesy of their first win since the league restarted after the coronavirus suspension, while Charlton are 18th but only three points above the relegation zone. 

  • Bayern braced for Thiago exit but no contact with Liverpool, Havertz deal unlikely Bayern braced for Thiago exit but no contact with Liverpool, Havertz deal unlikely

    Thiago Alcantara wants a new challenge away from Bayern Munich while Kai Havertz is unlikely to be joining the Bundesliga champions this year, Karl-Heinz Rummenigge has revealed. 

    Midfielder Thiago is under contract at the Allianz Arena until the end of next season yet has made clear to the club he is ready to move on at this stage of his career. 

    The Spain international, who joined Bayern from Barcelona in July 2013, has been linked with newly crowned Premier League winners Liverpool. 

    In an interview with BILD, chief executive Rummenigge made clear the Reds have yet to make contact over the 29-year-old, though his departure during the next window could still be possible.

    "A top guy on and off the pitch," Rummenigge said of Thiago.

    "We negotiated with him in a serious manner and granted him all his wishes. But it looks like he wants to do something new at the end of his career. 

    "We've never had any contact with Liverpool. If he wants to do this, we have to deal with it.

    "We don't want to lose a player for free next year. I say that very clearly."

    While Thiago could be leaving, Bayern have bolstered their squad by signing Tanguy Kouassi and Leroy Sane, the latter arriving from Manchester City after a year-long transfer saga. 

    However, a deal for Havertz is not expected to happen due to financial reasons, with clubs having to adapt accordingly following the impact of the coronavirus pandemic. 

    Asked about Bayer Leverkusen playmaker Havertz, Rummenigge replied: "We also have a very big challenge ahead of us financially. Even if we like the player, we wouldn't be able to lift it financially this year." 

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.