Ibrahimovic rejoins Milan

By Sports Desk December 27, 2019

Zlatan Ibrahimovic has returned to Milan for a second spell at the club.

The 38-year-old had been a free agent since leaving LA Galaxy at the end of the Major League Soccer season last month.

He spent 18 months with the Galaxy and was named in the MLS Best XI in 2018 and 2019 after scoring a combined 53 goals.

Several clubs had been linked with the former Sweden international, including the likes of Fiorentina, Napoli and Bologna, but he has decided on a return to San Siro.

The former Sweden international has signed a deal until the end of the season, with the option to extend it into the 2020-21 campaign.

"I'm coming back to a club I hugely respect and to the city of Milan I love," Ibrahimovic told Milan's website.

"I'll fight together with my team-mates to change the course of this season. I will do everything to make it happen."

Ibrahimovic won the Serie A title during his previous two-season stint with Milan, which ended in July 2012 when he joined French giants Paris Saint-Germain.

He has enjoyed subsequent spells with Manchester United and the Galaxy and now joins a Milan side enduring a dismal season.

Milan are 11th in Serie A, 14 points adrift of the top four, and were thrashed 5-0 by Atalanta in their last outing, Stefano Pioli having a limited impact since replacing Marco Giampaolo in October.

Related items

  • Matic hopes happy Pogba will stay at Man Utd 'for a long time' Matic hopes happy Pogba will stay at Man Utd 'for a long time'

    Nemanja Matic is optimistic Paul Pogba will remain with Manchester United "for a long time".

    The Serbian has formed an impressive midfield trio with Pogba and Bruno Fernandes since the Premier League's resumption, helping United extend their unbeaten run to 18 matches in all competitions.

    Pogba's future at United has long been the subject of intense speculation, with comments from his agent Mino Raiola causing controversy earlier in a 2019-20 season where he struggled with injury.

    But the financial impact of the coronavirus pandemic and the club's upturn in form since the World Cup winner returned to the pitch to join new signing Fernandes have led to increased hopes he will stay.

    Manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has expressed confidence that Pogba – who is contracted until 2021 with the option for a further year – would sign a new deal and Matic thinks his team-mate is enjoying life at the club.

    "I think at the moment he is happy," Matic, who himself signed fresh terms with United this month, said to Stats Perform News.

    "When you are injured and outside of the pitch people will always talk and rumours will always be around him, but he can do anything. 

    "As soon as he came back to training with us and playing I think he has shown that he is happy to play football and he is a great guy. 

    "I think for me it is very important that Paul stays because that gives us more quality. Also, with his personality, he brings a lot to the team. 

    "Of course, you never know what is going to happen in life but I see him happy at the moment.

    "I wish for him to stay, I wish for the team. It is good he is a great guy for the group there is always fun around him. I will be happy to see him for a long time at Manchester United."

    Pogba said this week United felt like "a proper team" again and he does not think they can be stopped if they continue on their current path.

    He also praised the balance of the starting XI under Solskjaer and Matic feels the arrival of Fernandes is what has helped get the best out of Pogba.

    Matic added: "With him and Bruno, I think that Paul can now, in my opinion, do what is his job.

    "He is the player and kind of midfielder that can play box to box, he is not only an attacking midfielder like people were thinking. 

    "He is a box to box player because he is strong, he can run, he can shoot, he can also defend very well, he can read the headers. 

    "So now with Bruno, Juan Mata, Jesse Lingard, when they play in front of him, then in my opinion he can do the best.

    "He is a player for everything, so I don't think he is a typical playmaker to be behind the strikers, but that player like a number eight, box to box.

    "For me he is one of the best players in the world. So, I expect him next season to be even better, but what we saw in the few games of him [after the restart] he was absolutely fantastic, a proper player."

  • Rumour Has It: Barca remain keen on Lautaro Martinez, Chelsea eye Atletico's Oblak Rumour Has It: Barca remain keen on Lautaro Martinez, Chelsea eye Atletico's Oblak

    For most of the year, Lautaro Martinez has been tipped to leave Inter for Barcelona.

    Barca are eyeing a long-term replacement for veteran forward Luis Suarez, though, the coronavirus pandemic appears to have impacted their transfer plans.

    However, a blockbuster move could still be on the cards.

     

    TOP STORY – BARCA STILL WANT TO SIGN LAUTARO

    Barcelona remain keen on signing Inter star Lautaro Martinez at the end of the season, according to the front page of Tuesday's Mundo Deportivo.

    Barca's interest in Martinez is well documented but a transfer has been put on hold as the LaLiga giants re-assess their plans after the Argentina forward's €111million release clause expired at the start of the month.

    However, Barca head coach Quique Setien is reportedly considering three options in his pursuit to recruit Martinez.

    Ousmane Dembele could be sold to raise funds or a swap deal involving Arturo Vidal, Ivan Rakitic and Samuel Umtiti could be proposed to Inter, while a player plus cash offer including Junior Firpo is the third alternative.

     

    ROUND-UP

    - The Mirror says Chelsea are ready to swap goalkeepers. Unhappy with the world's most expensive keeper Kepa Arrizabalaga, Chelsea are ready to use the Spaniard as a makeweight in a deal to sign Atletico Madrid star Jan Oblak.

    Paris Saint-Germain are eyeing in-demand Salzburg sensation Dominik Szoboszlai, reports Tuttosport. The Hungary teenager has been heavily linked to Milan and Napoli, as well as Arsenal.

    Ajax are hopeful of keeping star goalkeeper Andre Onana for one more season, claims De Telegraaf. Onana has been linked to the likes of Chelsea, Manchester United and Barca.

    - Journalist Nicolo Schira reports Napoli are confident of reaching an agreement with Lille forward Victor Osimhen. The Nigerian has been tipped to join the Serie A side, who have prepared a five-year contract worth €3.5m per season amid talk of an €80m transfer.

    - While Osimhen could arrive, Napoli are set to lose Arkadiusz Milik. Calciomercato claims Italian champions Juventus are interested, while the likes of Atletico, Tottenham and Roma are also keen. Arsenal's Alexandre Lacazette is an alternative for Juve, as well as Atletico.

    - According to Calciomercato, Edinson Cavani has turned down a move to David Beckham's Inter Miami in MLS. A free agent since leaving PSG, Cavani is reportedly wanted by Roma.

    Everton and PSG both want to sign Napoli midfielder Allan, says Calciomercato. Napoli are looking to raise funds.

    Manchester City will accelerate their rebuilding plans after having their Champions League ban overturned, claims the Telegraph. Napoli defender Kalidou Koulibaly – also linked to United, Liverpool and Real Madrid previously – is reportedly high on the list of targets, which includes Leicester City full-back Ben Chilwell, Aston Villa captain Jack Grealish and Atletico star Saul Niguez.

  • MLS is Back Tournament: LAFC play out 3-3 thriller, Chicharito scores first Galaxy goal in loss MLS is Back Tournament: LAFC play out 3-3 thriller, Chicharito scores first Galaxy goal in loss

    Los Angeles FC rallied to rescue a 3-3 draw against Houston Dynamo in their MLS is Back Tournament opener, while Javier "Chicharito" Hernandez opened his account for LA Galaxy in a loss to Portland Timbers.

    LAFC overcame a 3-1 half-time deficit to salvage a point in Monday's Group F showdown with Houston at Walt Disney Resort in Orlando, Florida.

    Both teams were opening their MLS is Back Tournament campaigns after the 2020 season was postponed in March due to the coronavirus pandemic, which has wreaked havoc in the United States.

    The Dynamo made the perfect start thanks to Memo Rodriguez's first-half brace, sandwiched in between Bradley Wright-Phillips' goal for LAFC before Alberth Elis put Houston 3-1 ahead in the fifth minute of added time.

    While Houston dominated the opening 45 minutes, reigning Supporters' Shield holders LAFC fought back after the interval – Diego Rossi reducing the deficit with a thunderous strike in the 63rd minute.

    Brian Rodriguez completed the comeback six minutes later when slotted underneath Dynamo goalkeeper Marko Maric.

    With the result, Bob Bradley's LAFC became the second team in MLS history to play out two consecutive 3-3 draws after Chivas USA in July 2006 – the Los Angeles franchise drew 3-3 against Philadelphia Union prior to the postponement.

    In Monday's other Group F match, Los Angeles rivals the Galaxy lost 2-1 against the 10-man Timbers.

    Goals from Jeremy Ebobisse and Sebastian Blanco gave the Timbers a 2-0 lead after 66 minutes, following a goalless first half.

    Former Manchester United and Real Madrid striker Hernandez – who arrived from Sevilla in January – scored his first Galaxy goal with two minutes of normal time remaining after Portland's Dario Zuparic was sent off in the 75th minute but it was not enough.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.