Rumour Has It: Arsenal's Arteta talks annoy City, Ancelotti set for Everton

By Sports Desk December 17, 2019

Arsenal and Everton are moving closer to confirming their new bosses.

According to reports, the Premier League clubs have identified their preferred candidates and commenced discussions.

But while supporters appear to be onside, it seems Manchester City have been left upset by recent developments.

 

TOP STORY – ARSENAL MAKE PROGRESS WITH ARTETA PURSUIT

Arsenal have opened talks with City assistant Mikel Arteta and the Premier League champions are not pleased, according to The Athletic.

Arteta, 37, reportedly met with Arsenal's head of football Raul Sanllehi last week and discussions regarding his potential appointment are said to have advanced following discussions with key officials Vinai Venkatesham and Huss Fahmy.

The Athletic's report suggests that though the Spaniard has kept his employers informed, City have received no official approach from the Gunners – an oversight that has "angered" those at the Etihad Stadium, according to the Mirror.

Arteta spent five seasons with Arsenal as a player and was in the running to succeed Arsene Wenger in 2018, before the job went to Unai Emery.

 

ROUND-UP

- Arteta has also been linked with a return to Everton but the Toffees look set to land a vastly more experienced candidate. According to The Telegraph, Carlo Ancelotti is on the verge of becoming their new manager on a deal running through to 2024. Everton, however, have denied issuing any contract offers in the wake of Marco Silva's dismissal.

- "Senior stars" at Tottenham have urged Jose Mourinho to sign Wolves winger Adama Traore, reports Football Insider. Traore scored a goal and ran the Spurs defence ragged in his side's 2-1 defeat at Molineux on Sunday.

- LaLiga title hopefuls Real Madrid are taking a close look at teenage Rennes midfielder Eduardo Camavinga, claims L'Equipe. Camavinga has already accrued 20 Ligue 1 starts at the tender age of 17.

- Bayern Munich hope to sign Sevilla winger Lucas Ocampos but may be forced to wait until the end of the season, says Sky Sport Italia reporter Gianluca Di Marzio.

- Remaining with Bayern and, even though the Bundesliga champions sit six points adrift of leaders RB Leipzig, club executives are keeping the faith with interim head coach Hansi Flick, reports Bild. That means Thomas Tuchel will not be making a mid-season switch from Paris Saint-Germain.

- Serie A table-toppers Inter admire 20-year-old River Plate midfielder Cristian Ferreira and have discussed the possibility of a transfer with his agent, reports CalcioMercato. 

Related items

  • Coronavirus: Shevchenko sees similarities between pandemic and Chernobyl disaster Coronavirus: Shevchenko sees similarities between pandemic and Chernobyl disaster

    Former AC Milan and Chelsea forward Andriy Shevchenko believes the coronavirus pandemic is similar to the Chernobyl disaster.

    More than 30,800 people have died from coronavirus, with the number of cases worldwide exceeding 660,000.

    Shevchenko, who was a child at the time of the Chernobyl disaster in 1986 that reportedly killed 54 people and is said to have led to thousands of deaths, said he saw similarities.

    "I lived a moment very similar to this. At the time, I was nine years old," the Ukraine coach told Sky Sport.

    "The only thing we have to do is avoid stupid behaviour. None of us can be sure that we have no contracted the virus.

    "We must not go out, we must not think only of us, but above all of those people for whom the infection would be a greater problem."

    Shevchenko thanked doctors and nurses and urged people to respect guidance from their governments.

    Italy, where Shevchenko played with AC Milan from 1999-2006, has seen more than 10,000 deaths due to coronavirus.

    "The only solution is to respect the rules of the government – that is to stay at home and give doctors the opportunity to do their job, which is really huge," he said.

    "Give them volunteer nurses, they are the heroes of our time. They must be thanked for all they are doing."

  • Coronavirus: We were exposed until the last moment – Godin Coronavirus: We were exposed until the last moment – Godin

    Inter defender Diego Godin felt "exposed" to coronavirus until the last minute, saying Serie A tried to continue until it became "unsustainable".

    Serie A was suspended on March 9 due to the coronavirus pandemic, which has hit Italy hard.

    A day earlier, Inter suffered a 2-0 loss to Juventus and on March 12, defender Daniele Rugani tested positive for COVID-19.

    Godin said there was a push for football to continue until the situation was no longer under control.

    "We were exposed until the last moment. They kept pulling the rope to see if you could continue playing, until the situation was unsustainable," he told ESPN.

    "The health system collapsed, there are no intensive care beds to attend so many critically ill people and people who may have another illness, they cannot attend to them, so many professional doctors."

    Godin added: "We continued playing for several weeks, we continued training, playing behind closed doors, until the positive of a Juventus player was detected and we and the Juventus players were quarantined.

    "There the championship was stopped. Surely in that match there were other players who would already be infected, so they directly quarantined all of us."

    Italy has recorded more than 92,400 cases of coronavirus, reporting 10,023 deaths.

  • Coronavirus: Ex-Barcelona goalkeeper Rustu Recber hospitalised with COVID-19 Coronavirus: Ex-Barcelona goalkeeper Rustu Recber hospitalised with COVID-19

    Turkey great Rustu Recber has been hospitalised after testing positive for coronavirus, his wife Isil has revealed.

    Goalkeeper Rustu spent much of his club career at Fenerbahce, including a loan stint with the Turkish Super Lig giants during a three-year stay at Barcelona.

    A star of the 2002 World Cup, Rustu played just seven times for Barca - all within the 2003-04 season - but retired aged 39 in 2012 with 120 international caps to his name.

    The 46-year-old's wife Isil posted on her Instagram page on Saturday to inform fans of her husband's diagnosis.

    "I would like to give you more positive news while sharing the truth in the most transparent way, but I'm sorry to say that my husband Rustu is hospitalised with the diagnosis of COVID-19," she wrote.

    "We are shocked by the rapid symptoms that developed suddenly when everything was normal. These are critical and difficult times.

    "May Allah give emergency relief to all patients, including my dear husband.

    "My only request is that people can be a little more conscientious and respectful in the process. In the tests we have done, my daughter and son were negative and only my husband was positive.

    "For this reason, we are at home while he's in hospital, and we are not allowed to see him. In fact, this is the most difficult part, not being able to be with him.

    "Allah is great and is entrusted to him and the Turkish doctors. I hope this will pass."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.