Ramos: Let's have two Ballon d'Or awards - one for Messi and Ronaldo and one for everyone else

By Sports Desk December 10, 2019

Sergio Ramos has joked there should be one Ballon d'Or award for Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo - and an alternative trophy for the rest of the world's footballers to fight over.

Real Madrid captain Ramos has a stack of individual accolades alongside the host of trophies he has won in his Santiago Bernabeu career.

But like so many great players of the last 12 years, he has been put in the shade by Messi and Ronaldo when it comes to the biggest awards.

From 2008, when Ronaldo first landed the Ballon d'Or, through to Messi scooping the honour earlier this month, the pair have had a near total duopoly, interrupted only in 2018 by Luka Modric's success.

Ronaldo has taken the prize five times and Messi six, prompting Ramos to jest that the pair should be left alone to slug it out for one trophy, while giving everyone else a chance of taking another.

"They could make a Ballon d'Or only for Cristiano and Messi depending on results...and another for the rest," Ramos told Mexican broadcaster TUDN. "In the end it would be better for football."

Liverpool defender Virgil van Dijk split Barcelona star Messi and Juventus forward Ronaldo this year, taking second place in the vote conducted by France Football magazine.

But the star goal-getters have been the dominant figures in the world game for over a decade, establishing a rivalry for who will be remembered as the greatest of their generation.

Ramos played alongside Ronaldo for many years at Madrid, before the Portuguese moved to Italy in July 2018.

At the age of 33, and as he approaches 15 years as a Madrid player, the captain of Spain is targeting next year's Olympic Games football tournament and sees himself playing on for several seasons yet.

"I will play until the excitement goes, but my excitement is very great," Ramos said, according to Marca. "I will make the most of everything football has to offer for as long as I feel good. I look after myself well and I hope to continue for many years."

Related items

  • Las Pistas covered in snow ahead of Real Madrid visit Las Pistas covered in snow ahead of Real Madrid visit

    Real Madrid face lower-tier side Unionistas de Salamanca in the Copa del Rey on Wednesday and the minnows' tiny ground Las Pistas was caked in snow a day prior.

    Snow is not a thing that immediately comes to mind when it comes to Spanish weather but Salamanca in the centre of the country had its fair share.

    Unionistas host LaLiga giants Madrid, with their Las Pistas ground set to be packed to its 4,000 capacity.

    However, the groundsmen will have plenty of work to do to get the pitch into shape after the ground was covered in snow as temperatures dipped below freezing.

    Salamanca is set to warm up slightly on Wednesday, though Madrid's stars will be playing in conditions of around four degrees Celcius by the time of kick-off.

    While Unionistas will have to spend Tuesday clearing their ground of snow, Madrid trained in much better conditions in the capital.

    "We may play tomorrow on a carpet of white," the Segunda B side tweeted, along with a photo of their ground covered in snow. "That's how Las Pistas dawned after the snowfall last night."

  • Mbappe affirms PSG commitment amid Real Madrid links and says Liverpool are 'like a machine' Mbappe affirms PSG commitment amid Real Madrid links and says Liverpool are 'like a machine'

    Kylian Mbappe has reiterated his commitment to Paris Saint-Germain amid renewed links to Real Madrid, while the France forward described Liverpool as "like a machine".

    Mbappe has become one of the world's best strikers since joining PSG from Monaco in 2017, scoring 81 goals in all competitions in his two-and-a-half seasons at the club so far.

    Before signing for PSG, Mbappe was heavily linked with LaLiga giants Madrid, and speculation of a move to Santiago Bernabeu has never died down.

    However, the 21-year-old insists he has no plans to leave PSG just yet, adding it is not beneficial to the club or his development for a possible switch to Madrid to be continuously discussed.

    "Everyone talks about it - when I was young I talked about it too. But now I'm a player and I know it's not the moment," Mbappe, speaking at the launch of his charity "Inspired by Kylian Mbappe (IBKM)" told BBC Sport.

    "We are in January - it's the money time of the season. Imagine I answer your question and say something. Everybody will talk about it and it's not good for PSG.

    "Now I'm with PSG and I'm 100 per cent with the club. I want to help the club grow this season, to win a lot of titles, so for me it's not good to talk about [my future].

    "I think about the club because the club helped me. I came here at 18. I was a talent but I was not a superstar. Now I'm a superstar, thanks to PSG and the French national team.

    "I have to stay calm and stay focused on PSG. After that, at the end of the season, we will see. But now I'm focused on my game."

    Liverpool have also been linked with making a move for Mbappe to add to their fearsome attack, though Jurgen Klopp has previously said the forward is out of the club's financial reach.

    Mbappe, however, has been in awe of Liverpool's form this term, as the Reds storm towards the Premier League title.

    "What Liverpool do in this moment is amazing," Mbappe said of the defending European champions. "They're like a machine, they've found a rhythm and are like 'we play again, we play again'.

    "They've lost zero games. When you watch you think everything's easy but that's not easy. The guys are focused, they play games every three days and they win, they win, they win.

    "Now the problem is that everybody watches Liverpool, and everybody watches what we can do against them, so now they have to show they are strong again but it's a very good team with a very good manager."

  • Rumour Has It: Inter to increase offer in bid to seal Eriksen deal Rumour Has It: Inter to increase offer in bid to seal Eriksen deal

    Inter are reportedly "confident" of finally sealing a deal for Christian Eriksen.

    The Serie A title hopefuls are said to be preparing an improved offer as they seek to tempt Tottenham into selling the midfielder this month.

    On Monday, Inter sporting director Piero Ausilio confirmed an official bid had been lodged with the London club.

     

    TOP STORY – INTER BACK IN FOR ERIKSEN

    The chase for wantaway midfielder Eriksen could come to an end when Inter increase their proposal to €15million (£12.8m) plus add-ons.

    The Guardian suggests Tottenham will soon have another offer to contemplate after rejecting the Nerazzurri's previous approach, which involved an initial €10m (£8.5m) sum.

    Eriksen, also linked with Manchester United, is due to become a free agent at the end of the season.

     

    ROUND-UP

    - Ashley Young has arrived, Eriksen could be close and Inter's raid on English football is not finished there. Victor Moses has been pictured in Milan and Sky Sport Italia claims the Chelsea wide man will undergo a medical on Tuesday.

    - Eriksen's future is not Tottenham's only cause for concern. According to the Daily Mail, Danny Rose and manager Jose Mourinho were involved in a "heated exchange" on Sunday after the left-back took issue with his omission from the squad that draw 0-0 at Watford.

    - Chelsea have made enquiries about Edinson Cavani and are ready to rival Atletico Madrid for the Paris Saint-Germain striker's signature, reports the Telegraph.

    - LaLiga champions Barcelona admire Arsenal captain Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang more than the other centre-forwards on their shortlist of potential signings, says Mundo Deportivo.

    - Bayern Munich are hunting a new right-back and have identified Real Madrid defender Alvaro Odriozola as a strong candidate to fill the problem position, reports Sky Sport Germany.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.