Rumour Has It: Manchester United to make fresh Eriksen approach

By Sports Desk December 06, 2019

Christian Eriksen is back on Manchester United's transfer radar.

The Red Devils are said to be preparing a January bid for the Tottenham midfielder, whose contract expires at the end of the season.

Eriksen reportedly turned down a move to Old Trafford earlier this year.

 

TOP STORY – UNITED REIGNITE ERIKSEN INTEREST

Could Jose Mourinho unintentionally do his old employers another favour?

Tottenham lost to United in midweek and are now about to receive an offer for playmaker Eriksen from their Premier League rivals, reports The Mirror.

The Denmark international has not featured in the starting XI since Mourinho replaced Mauricio Pochettino and, though he prefers a move abroad, might have a decision to make when the transfer window reopens.

Seemingly not convinced by Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's side a few months ago, Eriksen can sign a pre-contract agreement with clubs overseas from January.

ROUND-UP

- Leicester City are set to hand in-demand manager Brendan Rodgers a bumper new deal in a bid to end interest from Arsenal, according to The Telegraph.

- David Moyes wants a long-term commitment from Everton before agreeing to a second stint in charge at Goodison Park, says The Sun.

- Contrary to recent reports, ESPN suggests Patrick Vieira is not at the top of Arsenal's shortlist of potential managers.

- Error-riddled Roberto's ill-fated period as a Premier League goalkeeper could soon be over. The Guardian reports West Ham will look to sell or loan the Spaniard in January, with Turkey a likely destination, as they pursue stronger competition for the injured Lukasz Fabianski.

- Serie A side  Milan have offered Zlatan Ibrahimovic a contract that could run for 18 months and will demand an answer from his agent Mino Raiola next week, claims CalcioMercato.

- Diego Simeone wants Atletico Madrid to prioritise signing a striker over Brazilian midfielder Bruno Guimaraes, according to AS. The Spanish newspaper links Krzysztof Piatek, Andrea Belotti of Torino, Chelsea centre-forward Olivier Giroud and Valencia's Rodrigo with moves to the Wanda Metropolitano.

- Staying with Atletico and the Rojiblancos have entered the race for rumoured Juventus, Inter and Borussia Dortmund target Sandro Tonali, says CalcioMercato. Tonali, 19, is in his third season in Brescia's first-team squad.

Related items

  • Sterling hoping Man City can reach two finals to finish season Sterling hoping Man City can reach two finals to finish season

    Raheem Sterling is hoping Manchester City can reach two finals to finish the season.

    With Liverpool having sealed the Premier League title, City's chances of adding to their Community Shield and EFL Cup successes this season are in the Champions League and FA Cup.

    Pep Guardiola's side will face Arsenal in the FA Cup semi-finals, while they will carry a 2-1 lead into their Champions League last-16 second leg against Real Madrid.

    Sterling, who scored in City's 4-0 thrashing of Liverpool on Thursday, is eyeing two finals to finish the campaign.

    "Hopefully, we can finish with an FA Cup final and a Champions League final," the star attacker said, via the club's website.

    "We are a team that missed out on the Premier League and we have got to go on and try to do our best as we can in all competitions and that is the FA Cup and the Champions League.

    "It is difficult seeing Liverpool take the title from us, but they have been brilliant all year.

    "On Thursday, it was just another game, but it was a chance to finish high. In the Premier League we need to win all our games and finish on a high in the FA Cup and the Champions League."

    City are away to Southampton in the Premier League on Sunday.

  • Man Utd still have so much to do – Solskjaer agrees with Neville Man Utd still have so much to do – Solskjaer agrees with Neville

    Ole Gunnar Solskjaer believes Manchester United are still a fair way off being Premier League contenders.

    Ahead of hosting Bournemouth on Saturday, United are on a 15-match unbeaten run and just three points behind third-placed Leicester City.

    But amid hopes United could be close to challenging for the title once more, former captain Gary Neville warned they still had "work to do in the transfer market".

    Solskjaer agreed with his former team-mate and said the transfer window would be key for United, who are 34 points adrift of newly crowned champions Liverpool.

    "Gary's right in a lot of things he says and of course we cannot think we're there," the United manager told reporters.

    "If you look at the table, we're nowhere near where we should be. Consistency has to be improved and we still have to improve on many aspects of the game.

    "I don't know how many points we're behind the top two but Gary's right – there's definitely not going to be any complacency and thinking we've cracked it because we've so much to do.

    "We can see improvements but, yes, we need to make one or two – or more – very good decisions. It's going to be an important summer, definitely."

    With six league games remaining, United are just two points behind fourth-placed Chelsea in the chase for a top-four finish.

    Solskjaer expects that race to go down to the final day of the season, when United visit Leicester City.

    "It's a short space of time and so many games in that time but I think it will go down to the last game," he said.

    "You have got Chelsea against Wolves and us against Leicester – so it might be a three-point advantage for us or Leicester and it is still an important game.

    "And I can't see the difference between us and Leicester being a lot more than three points either way and it is the same with Chelsea and Wolves.

    "It's looking exciting, it's a short space of time and so many games in that time but I think it will go down to the last game."

  • Simeone backs Joao Felix despite substituting Atletico attacker again Simeone backs Joao Felix despite substituting Atletico attacker again

    Diego Simeone backed Joao Felix despite substituting the attacker again in Atletico Madrid's 3-0 win over Real Mallorca in LaLiga on Friday.

    Joao Felix was replaced early in the second half at the Wanda Metropolitano, where Alvaro Morata scored a brace before Koke's sealer.

    A reported €126million signing from Benfica last year, the Portugal international has been substituted in 17 of his 21 LaLiga starts.

    But Atletico coach Simeone backed the 20-year-old and said he had full confidence in the attacker.

    "We are absolutely confident in his quality, his talent and the way he plays and we need him to reproduce on the field," he told a news conference, via AS.

    "We focus on the goal of the team and the club, we do not stop at individualities. On the basis of promoting individualities, we seek to improve the collective. If we stop at the singles it would be dangerous.

    "Joao started well against Osasuna, he had good games, [against Mallorca] he was not as fine in his game and he understood that the team needed other characteristics as with Vitolo, who worked for what the team needed."

    In 34 appearances in all competitions this season, Joao Felix has scored eight goals and provided three assists.

    Simeone, whose side consolidated third place in the table, said his message to younger players was simple.

    "I always try to convey to the young people who come here that this is a competitive team, that they have to win," he said.

    "And we work as a consequence of looking for the best to win, we have no commitment to anyone, only that things go towards where we understand that it is better."

    Atletico are in action again on Tuesday when they visit Celta Vigo.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.