Messi a fine Ballon d'Or winner, but Ronaldo was robbed last year – Chiellini

By Sports Desk December 02, 2019

Giorgio Chiellini was happy for Lionel Messi to win this year's Ballon d'Or, but the Juventus defender blasted the "theft" that meant Cristiano Ronaldo missed out in 2018.

Barcelona star Messi claimed the prize for a record sixth time on Monday, beating Liverpool defender Virgil van Dijk and Ronaldo.

It came a year after Real Madrid midfielder Luka Modric ended the 10-year dominance of Messi and Ronaldo, but it was that decision that upset Chiellini.

"It's OK the Ballon d'Or for Messi this year," the Juve captain told Sky Sport Italia at the Gran Gala del Calcio awards in Milan on Monday.

"The real theft was last year. Real Madrid decided that Cristiano should not win the Ballon d'Or. It was really strange."

Chiellini added: "Real didn't want him to win because he was no longer one of their players."

Ronaldo joined Juventus from Madrid in July last year, and was on Monday named the Serie A player of the year for 2018-19.

Juve and Ronaldo are yet to get to their best this season, now sitting a point adrift of leaders Inter through 14 Serie A games.

"I said that the real Juve will be seen at least from January. We need time," Chiellini said.

"We started very well with a great month and a half, then we suffered a bit of physiological decline, but the results weren't missed.

"Without the draw against Sassuolo [on Sunday], we would talk about super Juve."

Related items

  • Fiorentina 1-1 Inter: Vlahovic lifts Viola as Serie A title race takes another turn Fiorentina 1-1 Inter: Vlahovic lifts Viola as Serie A title race takes another turn

    Dusan Vlahovic scored a spectacular late equaliser as Fiorentina fought back to draw 1-1 with Inter and hand Juventus a boost in the Serie A title race.

    Borja Valero's early strike against his former club looked set to be enough to claim the points for Inter, who had temporarily fallen into second place due to Juve's comfortable win over Udinese earlier on Sunday.

    However, having seen a goal ruled out by the VAR before squandering several gilt-edged chances, Antonio Conte's side were unable to double their lead.

    Fiorentina took full advantage as teenager Vlahovic stepped up with a sensational solo strike in stoppage time to secure a lifeline for under-pressure coach Vincenzo Montella while ensuring Inter could only move level on points with Juve at the top.

     

  • Guardiola in awe of De Bruyne's 'superhuman' passing Guardiola in awe of De Bruyne's 'superhuman' passing

    Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola claims midfield superstar Kevin De Bruyne plays the type of passes other footballers are simply incapable of.

    The Belgium midfielder produced a dominant display to inspire City to a comfortable 3-0 away win over Arsenal in the Premier League on Sunday.

    De Bruyne scored two fine goals either side of an assist for Raheem Sterling, leaving defending champions City 14 points behind leaders Liverpool.

    The two-goal star played in a more advanced role and, while lauding his passing, Guardiola acknowledged the benefits of De Bruyne being shorn of defensive responsibility.

    "Kevin made an incredible two goals and an assist," Guardiola said in his post-match news conference.

    "He is an extraordinary player so we don't discourage his quality. He sees passes and action that normal humans can't see, having a special vision and assists.

    "Always we speak to him, 'You have to score more goals', and today he scored two incredible goals and got an assist for Raheem Sterling.

    "Kevin can play in different positions, but, of course, when they can think more in attack and less in defence, it is much better."

    Guardiola was satisfied with the performance of Phil Foden, who made his first Premier League start of the season against Arsenal.

    City frequently looked to hit the hapless Gunners on the break, though, which Guardiola suggested did not suit the 19-year-old's game.

    "Phil always plays good," the manager said. "He doesn't always touch the ball but he played well defensively.

    "We make the actions for the counter-attack but not as much ball possession, so that's why he did not touch the ball too much.

    "Always when he has the ball, he does another extraordinary thing. He is a great player.

    "He did what he should do and helped us to win the game, especially in the first half. He’s so clever with his passes and so on."

  • Lyon fear Depay is out for the season with knee injury Lyon fear Depay is out for the season with knee injury

    Memphis Depay is expected to be out for the rest of the season due to a serious knee injury, says Lyon sporting director Juninho.

    Depay was substituted at half-time during Sunday's Ligue 1 defeat at home to Rennes, having initially been hurt in a tussle with Hamari Traore.

    The forward sustained a suspected anterior cruciate ligament injury to his left knee that could rule him out of action for several months.

    Depay now faces a battle to return in time to feature for Netherlands at Euro 2020.

    "We expect Memphis' injury to be quite serious," Juninho told OL TV.

    "We expect it to keep him out for the rest of the season. He's our captain and I'm sad for him."

    Depay's injury came after they had also lost Jeff Reine-Adelaide to a suspected meniscus problem, with reports suggesting he could be out for around four months.

    The former Manchester United man has scored nine goals and assisted a further two in 13 Ligue 1 appearances this season, as well as netting five times in five Champions League games.

    Rennes moved up to fourth in the Ligue 1 table thanks to a 1-0 win earned by a late goal scored by 17-year-old Eduardo Camavinga, with Lyon sitting eighth after 18 games.

    Lyon coach Rudi Garcia said: "I'm not happy with the results or the performances. The evening is made worse by the fact that we lost Reine-Adelaide and Depay to injury."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.