Suarez 'very happy' at Barcelona but MLS switch a possibility

By Sports Desk November 22, 2019

Luis Suarez is "very happy" at Barcelona but admits he is open to the possibility of joining a Major League Soccer club.

The Uruguay international is in his sixth season at Camp Nou and has another full campaign left to run on his current deal.

Suarez, who turns 33 in January, has been touted as a possible target for David Beckham's Inter Miami franchise ahead of their MLS debut next year.

Several established stars have made the switch Stateside in recent years, including the likes of Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Wayne Rooney, while talented youngsters have been lured from South America.

"MLS is a competition which has grown a lot in the last few years and you can see that with the young players that have moved there in the last two years, above all the South Americans," Suarez told ESPN FC.

"That shows that the league wants to grow and not just bring in players of a certain age that are going to retire there. They look for that mix to make the league better."

Seattle Sounders midfielder Nicolas Lodeiro said earlier this month that international team-mate Suarez has discussed the possibility of joining him in MLS.

The former Liverpool striker confirmed those talks took place and is not ruling out a move further down the line, describing the thought of playing in America as a "nice possibility".

"I didn't commit to anything [with Lodeiro]," Suarez said. "I had a conversation with him. MLS is a league that any player would be interested in and I asked him about the competition and about his team-mates.

"I have a contract with Barca and I am very happy here. In the future you never know, it's an attractive league.

"Given that I have been lucky to have had success at the top level for a long time, what I would look out for next is stability for my family and the well-being of my children.

"They would all make the decision along with me and the United States is a nice possibility."

Related items

  • Smalling bids not enough for move, says Man Utd boss Solskjaer Smalling bids not enough for move, says Man Utd boss Solskjaer

    Manchester United manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer explained Chris Smalling is still at the Premier League club because his asking price has not been met.

    Smalling was left out of the United squad that beat Luton Town 3-0 in the third round of the EFL Cup on Tuesday.

    The 30-year-old defender impressed on loan at Roma last season and the Serie A outfit are understood to want to sign Smalling on a permanent deal, although United are reportedly holding out for an £18million fee.

    "At the moment, we've not had any bids up to the level that we want," Solskjaer said after the game at Kenilworth Road.

    "So that's the situation."

    "That [Smalling's valuation] is not down to me, is it? I'm not the one negotiating between the clubs, but we haven't had sufficient bids there and that's it."

    United led on the stroke of half-time through a Juan Mata penalty but were largely lacklustre and needed an excellent save from debutant goalkeeper Dean Henderson before substitutes Marcus Rashford and Mason Greenwood made the game safe.

    Luton, like United, were much-changed and Solskjaer paid tribute to Nathan Jones' side.

    "You can see we need match-time," he said, having watched his first-choice United side lose their Premier League opener 3-1 against Crystal Palace at the weekend.

    "These players need match-time for sharpness. Levels in English football are getting better, that's their cup team as well, it's not the league team.

    "The standard is high in Championship and they did well. They made us work hard to go through, but there were some positives as well.

    "I liked the last couple of goals when the ball goes quickly forward, we drive at them. Nice finishes as well."

  • Chelsea exits for Rudiger and Hudson-Odoi not ruled out by Lampard Chelsea exits for Rudiger and Hudson-Odoi not ruled out by Lampard

    Frank Lampard is not ruling out a move away from Chelsea for Antonio Rudiger or Callum Hudson-Odoi.

    Rudiger is yet to feature for Chelsea this season and was left out of the matchday squad for the 2-0 loss to Liverpool at Stamford Bridge on Sunday.

    Hudson-Odoi has struggled for regular game time since returning from an Achilles injury in September last year and has only started one match since January.

    Chelsea have added Timo Werner, Hakim Ziyech, Kai Havertz, Ben Chilwell, Thiago Silva and Malang Sarr to their ranks since last season, while goalkeeper Edouard Mendy is expected to joint his week.

    Asked if his squad was too big and he had some major decisions to make before the transfer window closes on October 5, Lampard said: "Yeah, there are decisions for me to make, for the club to make and for the players themselves to make. That's the situation.

    "Of course, I have an idea in my head of the number I want to make the squad healthy, to have healthy competition but not have too many players feeling like they're out of squads, not getting the minutes they want.

    "Those are very much conversations we'll have moving forward. It doesn't mean we're forcing any one of those positions or areas to move players on, but those conversations will be ongoing in the next few weeks."

    On whether Rudiger or Hudson-Odoi could be on their way out, he said: "It remains to be seen because we're also in a period where the market is not acting like it has done in recent years, in terms of how players move or what level they move at.

    "Again the competitive games have just started, I'm very open to those conversations with the players as the next couple of weeks go along. My priority will always be making sure I maintain and keep the strongest squad I can for this club.

    "Of course, after that, the individual questions, individual conversations will happen within that, and I will try and make sure I go into the season once the window shuts with a squad that is competitive in a healthy way."

    Mason Mount, Tammy Abraham and Fikayo Tomori established themselves in the Chelsea squad last season having spent previous campaigns out on loan.

    Despite signing a five-year contract after a move to Bayern Munich failed to come to fruition, Hudson-Odoi remains on the fringes and Lampard urged the 19-year-old winger to prove he merits a regular place in the starting XI.

    "You say the players we've got in his position, I think at the moment we have Christian Pulisic injured, Hakim Ziyech injured, we played Timo Werner on the wing the other day, but the absolute natural winger at the minute if he's fit is Callum," said Lampard.

    "We know in a Premier League squad and the amount of games we're going to play that we're going to need competition in various areas and back-up in those areas, and competition to make those positions their own. And that's where Callum's at.

    "When I talk about Callum, he needs to train, he needs to show in training every day and when he gets opportunities in games he has done, and he will tomorrow [Wednesday] – alright, he will play against Barnsley [in the EFL Cup] – to show in every minute what he can do on and off the ball for the team. That's the position he's at at the minute.

    "He's had an early breakthrough in his career because he came through with the talent he had, he's had the injury. Now I just want to see him flourish again."

  • Morata seals loan switch to Juventus Morata seals loan switch to Juventus

    Alvaro Morata has completed a return to Juventus on an initial one-year loan deal from Atletico Madrid, the clubs have announced.

    The Serie A champions confirmed the move on Tuesday, sealing Morata's services for a second spell.

    Juve will pay Atletico €10million, with the Italian club having an option to buy the 27-year-old striker for €45m or pay another €10m to loan him for a further campaign.

    Should the Bianconeri opt to extend the loan, they will be able to purchase Morata for €35m at the end of the 2021-22 season.

    A Juve statement read: "Memory albums are there to be opened, to reminisce upon old moments, but also to add new ones and we can’t wait to create many more memories, together once more!

    "Even though Alvaro left the club four years ago, after having won five trophies in two years: two Scudetti, two Coppe Italia, one Supercoppa Italiana, he has always remained Bianconero in his heart and his return will be as though he never even said goodbye."

    Morata scored 27 goals in 93 games across two seasons in Turin between 2014 and 2016.

    He then returned to Real Madrid for a year before joining Chelsea and later Atletico, where he netted 12 LaLiga goals in 34 games last term.

    With Gonzalo Higuain having left to join Inter Miami, Juve had been linked with Barcelona's Luis Suarez and Roma's Edin Dzeko.

    Morata's move could pave the way for Suarez to join Atletico.

    Juve have won nine consecutive Serie A titles and opened their campaign under Andrea Pirlo with a 3-0 win over Sampdoria on Sunday.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.