Wales, golf, Madrid... in that order – Bale celebrates Euro 2020 qualification

By Sports Desk November 19, 2019

Gareth Bale risked incurring the wrath of Real Madrid with his celebration of Wales' Euro 2020 qualification.

Wales – semi-finalists at Euro 2016 – booked their ticket to next year's European Championship with a 2-0 win over Hungary on Tuesday.

Aaron Ramsey's double in Cardiff ensured Wales leapfrogged Hungary and clinched the second automatic qualifying spot in Group E.

Bale and his team-mates celebratedly wildly post-game, with the former Tottenham talisman particularly catching the eye.

Tipped to leave Madrid and criticised for his priorities amid his love for golf, Wales fans have adopted the chant, "Wales, golf, Madrid", which has been heard during the international break.

And on Tuesday, Bale was seen celebrating in front of a Wales flag with the words: "WALES. GOLF. MADRID... IN THAT ORDER".

Related items

  • Rumour Has It: Griezmann not interested in Barcelona exit Rumour Has It: Griezmann not interested in Barcelona exit

    Barcelona forward Antoine Griezmann has no interest in leaving the LaLiga giants.

    Speculation over the France international's future has increased amid his, and Barca's, struggles.

    But the 29-year-old seemingly wants more than one season at Barcelona.

     

    TOP STORY – GRIEZMANN NOT INTERESTED IN BARCELONA EXIT

    Griezmann has no interest in leaving Barcelona, according to Le Parisien.

    Since arriving from Atletico Madrid for €120million, Griezmann has managed just 14 goals in 43 games this season.

    Griezmann was introduced as a 90th-minute substitute in Barca's 2-2 draw with his former club on Tuesday.

    ROUND-UP

    - Staying at Camp Nou and Quique Setien's future as Barcelona head coach remains a talking point after one win in four games. AS reports Setien is not in immediate danger but is far from safe, while Sport says his future is uncertain, although the club are hoping to keep him at the helm until the end of the season.

    - Manchester City look set for a rebuild in the close season. The Guardian claims Bayern Munich defender David Alaba, who is out of contract next year, is a target for the Premier League giants.

    - After making a stellar start to the season with Lyon before suffering a serious knee injury, Memphis Depay has been linked with a move. Le 10 Sport reports Arsenal want the attacker, who has 14 goals in 18 games this season.

    - Carlos Tevez's future remains uncertain. Ole says the former Manchester United and Manchester City forward, 36, could retire as he struggles to agree to a new contract with Boca Juniors.

    - With Bruno Lage on his way out as Benfica coach, the Portuguese giants are searching for a new boss. According to A Bola, Benfica have looked at the likes of Mauricio Pochettino, Ernesto Valverde and Laurent Blanc, but are now considering former Paris Saint-Germain and Arsenal coach Unai Emery.

    - Tottenham defender Serge Aurier could be set for a move. Sky Sports reports Monaco are interested in the Ivory Coast right-back.

  • I don't know if it's impossible – Newell's hopeful over Messi return I don't know if it's impossible – Newell's hopeful over Messi return

    Newell's Old Boys vice-president Cristian D'Amico is still hopeful Barcelona star Lionel Messi may one day return to the club.

    Messi, 33, left Newell's for Barcelona in 2001 and has developed into one of the best players of all-time, winning a record six Ballons d'Or.

    The Argentina captain has spoken about potentially returning to Newell's previously and D'Amico is hopeful, with the club having seen Diego Maradona arrive in 1993 after he starred in Europe.

    "I don't know if it's impossible," he told TNT Sports.

    "It's a decision exclusively made by him and his family. We have to have the best possible context to help make a decision.

    "When Maradona came to Newell's, nobody thought that he would come either. I hope to do something similar with Leo."

    Messi is contracted at Camp Nou until next year, although will reportedly extend that deal until 2023.

    D'Amico is staying calm about the star's potential return to Newell's, saying: "Obviously, that's not to be selling smoke.

    "It's a difficult topic. What Newell's fan would not dream to see the best player in the world with the jersey of their team on? Time might allow such things, you have to be calm."

  • Inter haven't spoken to Brescia about Tonali – Marotta Inter haven't spoken to Brescia about Tonali – Marotta

    Inter chief executive Giuseppe Marotta said the Nerazzurri have not discussed signing star midfielder Sandro Tonali with Brescia.

    Tonali is highly coveted following his exploits for Brescia – the Italian attracting interest from the likes of Serie A champions Juventus, Inter, Manchester United, Manchester City and Barcelona.

    Inter are tipped to prise Tonali from Brescia amid reports a five-year contract has already been agreed with the 20-year-old, who has been compared to Italian great Andrea Pirlo.

    Asked about an advertisement televised in China, showing head coach Antonio Conte painting an Inter jersey on Tonali, CEO Marotta – speaking prior to Wednesday's 6-0 Serie A rout of Brescia – told DAZN: "I think he painted the youngest player in the game, so it might be an auspice of youth that Inter would like in future.

    "Tonali is admired not just by me, but by all fans of Italian football.

    "He is still a Brescia player and we have not discussed it with them, despite having a good rapport."

    Tonali, who played a key role in Brescia's promotion from Serie B in 2018-19, has scored one goal and supplied five assists this season.

    The Italy international is reportedly set to follow Achraf Hakimi to Inter, who are poised to announce the signing of the Real Madrid full-back following a two-year loan spell at Borussia Dortmund.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.