Ibrahimovic wants to finish career in Italy, says Galaxy boss Schelotto

By Sports Desk November 14, 2019

Zlatan Ibrahimovic wants to see out his career in Italy, according to LA Galaxy head coach Guillermo Barros Schelotto.

Ibrahimovic revealed on Wednesday that he will not be renewing his contract with MLS side the Galaxy, where the 38-year-old arrived from Manchester United in 2018.

The ex-Paris Saint-Germain striker has been strongly linked with a return to Europe, with MLS commissioner Don Garber last week suggesting former club AC Milan are the frontrunners to re-sign the soon-to-be free agent.

Napoli, Bologna and Roma have also been touted as possible options for the former Sweden international should he return to Serie A, while A-League team Perth Glory have confirmed their interest in bringing Ibrahimovic to Australia on a guest deal.

Asked about Ibrahimovic's future, Galaxy boss Schelotto told Radio Kiss Kiss: "He does not know what he will do now.

"He is a wonderful player, but I don't know what his next step will be - perhaps he'll finish his career in Naples or with Milan. 

"I don't know where he will go but he deserves and wants to finish his career in Italy."

Ibrahimovic spent two seasons with Milan – winning the Serie A and Supercoppa Italiana – before leaving in 2012 for French giants PSG, where he worked under current Napoli coach Carlo Ancelotti.

"They know each other well," Schelotto said. "Zlatan evidently has the characteristics that Napoli needs."

Related items

  • Lyon president Aulas names Arsenal while addressing Aouar future Lyon president Aulas names Arsenal while addressing Aouar future

    Lyon president Jean-Michel Aulas named Arsenal while discussing the future of in-demand star midfielder Houssem Aouar.

    Aouar has been linked with Premier League outfit Arsenal, as well as Manchester City, Paris Saint-Germain and Chelsea following Lyon's memorable run to the 2019-20 Champions League semi-final.

    Lyon value Aouar at €60million (£55m) and are refusing to lower their demands as Mikel Arteta's Arsenal struggle to raise the necessary funds.

    Asked if Aouar could remain at the Ligue 1 club, Aulas told Le Progres: "Financially, Arsenal are like everyone else [in a tricky spot amid the coronavirus pandemic].

    "And Houssem could say to himself that the best thing would be to stay with us."

    Lyon captain Memphis Depay has also been linked with Barcelona and Milan, while Moussa Dembele continues to attract interest from across Europe.

    "From the start I said that we would not lose the three players announced every day in the newspapers," Aulas said.

    "Ten days before the end of the transfer window, none of the three have gone. And I don't imagine that will happen. If one or two leave, they will be replaced."

    Lyon have endured a difficult start to the 2020-21 season, winning just one of their opening four matches to sit 12th in the standings.

    But amid doubts emerging over head coach Rudi Garcia's future, Aulas insisted: "Rudi is with us. He has been cited as one of the best 10 managers in Europe. News gets invented, it is sad.

    "We are not going to respond to such nuisances. Rudi Garcia is and will be our manager, that is clear. And we are going to have a great team."

  • FIFA suspends TTFA indefinitely - letter warns federation's actions are threat to global football stability FIFA suspends TTFA indefinitely - letter warns federation's actions are threat to global football stability

    The Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA) has been suspended indefinitely by FIFA, after its failure to comply with a request to withdraw a legal case against the global football body currently before the courts of Trinidad and Tobago.

    The case was brought before the High Court of Trinidad and Tobago by former TTFA president William Wallace and other deposed executives.  The members had taken umbrage with FIFA’s disbanding of the then four-month-old administration and its installation of a normalisation committee to take over the country’s football affairs.

    According to a letter issued by FIFA on Thursday, however, the actions were in direct violation of article 59 of the FIFA Statutes and that the issue had been recommended by the Bureau of the Council, who took action.

    “The Bureau took note that this course of action breached art. 59 of the FIFA Statutes, which expressly stipulates the prohibition on recourse to ordinary courts of law unless specifically provided for in the FIFA regulations,” the letter read.

    “Additionally, the Bureau was informed that the institution and maintenance of those proceedings by these individuals, purporting to act in the name of the TTFA, in complete disregard for the FIFA Statutes threatens the stability of the structure of football governance, both in Trinidad and Tobago and globally.”

    The letter also pointed out that FIFA had given the TTFA until September 16, to withdraw the case before the court and subsequently given a final deadline of September 23 at 3:00 pm, which was also not met.

    As a result of the suspension, the TTFA will be deprived of its rights as a member, which means that neither its clubs nor national teams will be allowed to compete in any international competitions.  Funding for development programs will also immediately be cut.

    The letter gave three conditions under which the renegade body would be re-admitted to global football.

    1. The TTFA complies with the terms and conditions of its membership of FIFA as set out under the FIFA Statutes, including in particular Article 59 of the FIFA Statutes;
    2. The TTFA acknowledges and confirms FIFA’s power and authority to appoint a Normalisation Committee subject only to the right of the TTFA to appeal such a decision to the Court of Arbitration for Sport;
    3. The TTFA Statutes are amended to ensure that all type of disputes may only be submitted to the established dispute resolution forum at CAS.

    The suspension will immediately impact the country’s participation in the upcoming FIFA World Cup qualifiers.

  • Juventus having more fun under Pirlo than Sarri – Ramsey Juventus having more fun under Pirlo than Sarri – Ramsey

    Juventus are having "more fun" under new boss Andrea Pirlo compared to last season when Maurizio Sarri was in charge, according to midfielder Aaron Ramsey.

    Pirlo was named as Sarri's successor last month and marked his first competitive game in charge with an impressive 3-0 win over Sampdoria last weekend.

    Ramsey, who was in and out of the side last season, enjoyed arguably his best game for Juve as he created an unrivalled six chances – including an assist for Cristiano Ronaldo.

    And the Wales international revealed the mood has now changed in the dressing room on the back of iconic former midfielder Pirlo's appointment.

    "We have a new coach, a new staff, new ideas and the players are very involved in this," he told Sky Sport Italia.

    "I think we are having more fun than last year. The training sessions are hard but there is also a little bit of joy."

    Dejan Kulusevski and Leonardo Bonucci were also on target for Juventus in their opening match, but Ramsey believes there is still more to come from his side ahead of Sunday's trip to Roma.

    "We started well but we still need to improve," he said. "In this team there are many great players, who can all play and help the team reach their goals.

    "I'm happy to be able to play together with these top-quality attackers."

    Inter finished just a point behind Juve last season and are expected to push the champions all the way this campaign after spending big during the close season.

    Ramsey is predicting a tight battle at the top this term, adding: "Inter are a great team and have signed a lot of players. They are are one of the contenders for the Scudetto.

    "Like Napoli, who are very strong. Milan finished last season well and started the same way. Serie A is a very tough league."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.