Atletico hit with Costa injury concern

By Sports Desk November 14, 2019

Diego Costa has been diagnosed with a cervical disc herniation in a fresh blow to goal-shy Atletico Madrid.

Scans undertaken in recent days identified the issue, which relates to the spine, but a rehabilitation programme has not yet been formulated.

Atletico said the 31-year-old requires special neurosurgery assessment before the full scale of the injury can be established.

"The medical services of the club have conducted radiological tests of Diego Costa to assess the cervical discomfort suffered in recent days," read an Atletico statement.

"These tests have determined that the forward suffers a cervical disc herniation.

"In the next few days he will be evaluated by specialists in neurosurgery to establish the definitive treatment."

Former Chelsea striker Costa trained earlier this week after appearing for the final 10 minutes of Atletico's 3-1 win over Espanyol on Sunday.

Prior to that match, Diego Simeone's men had managed 12 goals in as many LaLiga games in a lean start to the new season.

Costa has found the net twice from 15 appearances in all competitions this term.

Related items

  • Setien 'delighted' with Barca squad amid reports Rodrigo deal is off Setien 'delighted' with Barca squad amid reports Rodrigo deal is off

    Quique Setien would welcome any new arrival at Barcelona in January but is happy to work with what he has for the remainder of the season.

    A deal to sign forward Rodrigo Moreno appeared to be on the cards after Valencia boss Albert Celades confirmed on Tuesday the two clubs were in negotiations over the Spain international.

    However, reports in the Catalan media suggest that move will not be happening, leaving Barca light up front in the absence of Luis Suarez, who is set to miss the rest of the campaign with a knee injury.

    Setien confirmed the reigning LaLiga champions are interested in adding to their options before the transfer window closes, though he is prepared to push for glory on three fronts with the squad at his disposal.

    "First of all, I'm delighted with what I have in my squad," Setien told the media ahead of Thursday's Copa del Rey tie against Leganes.

    "We are not going to deny that it would have been interesting to bring in a player, but I always focus on what I have. 

    "If anyone comes in, they will be welcome. If it doesn't happen, though, I will be delighted to work with the squad I have available.

    "I've come here from working at other sides, I'm used to working with what I have. I'm sure that this side is prepared to compete in every competition."

    While there may be no further arrivals this month, Carles Perez seems set to depart Camp Nou. 

    The 21-year-old has been a peripheral figure this season under Ernesto Valverde and new head coach Setien, with Roma rumoured to be his next destination.

    Asked to clarify why Perez has not featured more in the early weeks of his reign, Setien said: "It's a shared decision [with the club]. What I've spoken about with the player is very clear – the reality is I'm not going to speak about private decisions.

    "It's a decision by the club and I've given my opinion – it is what it is."

    Setien also refused to rule out further departures, adding: "I can't guarantee anything – we will see. These are decisions that the club takes. They are the ones who make the best decisions."

  • BREAKING NEWS: Manchester United agree Bruno Fernandes deal BREAKING NEWS: Manchester United agree Bruno Fernandes deal

    Manchester United have agreed a deal to sign Bruno Fernandes from Sporting CP, it was announced on Wednesday.

  • Injured Atletico forward Joao Felix set to miss Madrid derby Injured Atletico forward Joao Felix set to miss Madrid derby

    Joao Felix appears set to miss Atletico Madrid's derby against Real Madrid after sustaining an unspecified muscle injury to his right leg.

    The Portugal forward suffered the setback during Sunday's goalless draw against Leganes and was unable to train on Tuesday or Wednesday.

    "Joao Felix suffered a muscle injury to his right leg during Sunday's match against Club Deportivo Leganes," read a club statement.

    "Given the ongoing pain after the day of rest, the club's medical services have performed tests to diagnose the injury. He is pending response to treatment."

    While no timescale has been put on a recovery, reports in Spain suggest the injury is not serious but he will miss Saturday's trip to the Santiago Bernabeu.

    Joao Felix arrived at the Wanda Metropolitano in a €126million deal from Benfica in July.

    The 20-year-old has endured mixed fortunes in Spain thus far, scoring twice and providing just one assist in 17 LaLiga appearances.

    Atletico are fifth in the table, 10 points adrift of leaders and city rivals Madrid.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.