I would love to be a success there - Achraf confident he can make an impact at Real Madrid

By Sports Desk October 04, 2019

Achraf Hakimi would love to become a Real Madrid success story and believes he can make an impact at his parent club once his Borussia Dortmund loan expires.

The 20-year-old is a little over halfway through a two-season loan spell with Dortmund and has established himself as a first-team regular under Lucien Favre.

Achraf has predominantly been fielded at full-back but was used in a more advanced left-wing position against Slavia Prague in midweek, the Morocco international further highlighting his versatility with both goals in the 2-0 win.

He progressed through Madrid's academy and is confident in his ability to prove his worth at the Santiago Bernabeu, though his only focus right now is on continuing his development with Dortmund.

"I'm not going to lie, I'd love to be a success there, of course," he told AS. "I grew up at Madrid, it's the club I call home and I'd like to keep on growing as a player there, but if it isn't to be I'll look to be a success somewhere else.

"Right now, I'm only focusing on taking each game as it comes and performing to the best of my ability. Next summer's still a little way off and we'll just have to see what happens. 

"I shouldn't start thinking about next year - I just have to concentrate on having a good campaign. That's the only way I'll have options open to me come the end of the season.

"My deal here lasts for two years. When the time comes, I'll see whether I've done enough over these two years and whether I'm ready for Real Madrid. 

"Right now, I feel like I'm doing well, and that if I keep playing like this I could do a job for Madrid. But I can't say whether or not I'm ready until the end of the season. Ask me in May."

Dortmund CEO Hans-Joachim Watzke made it clear earlier this week that he will do everything possible to sign the youngster at the end of the season, but Madrid may opt against cashing in.

Asked about Watzke's comments, Achraf said: "It's always nice, being told that they'd like you to stay for good when you've only been there for a year.

"You're left thinking that you're doing well, that they're happy with you and that you are with them too. But that's a decision which I don't think is down to me; that's something the two clubs have to talk about with each other, and with my agent. 

"I'm going to keep on working to help Dortmund and hopefully we can achieve big things together."

Related items

  • Coronavirus: Liverpool slammed by former Red Carragher over furlough decision Coronavirus: Liverpool slammed by former Red Carragher over furlough decision

    Jamie Carragher has blasted Liverpool for their decision to place staff impacted by the Premier League suspension on furlough, suggesting the move loses the club "respect and goodwill".

    Members of the workforce that are affected can claim 80 per cent of their wages – up to £2,500 a month – from the United Kingdom government, though Liverpool will top up any shortfall in their pay.

    The Reds announced these measures on Saturday, with Tottenham, Newcastle United, Norwich City and Bournemouth all previously taking advantage of the government scheme.

    Other clubs have been criticised for furloughing non-playing staff, with detractors suggesting clubs owned by wealthy individuals or companies should not be getting assistance from the British taxpayer to cover wage costs.

    In Carragher's opinion, Liverpool's decision has seen them lose much of the respect Jurgen Klopp and players had earned the club for their behaviour and attitudes earlier in the crisis, with Jordan Henderson reportedly spearheading an attempt from Premier League players to raise funds for the National Health Service.

    Writing on his official Twitter account, Carragher said: "Jurgen Klopp showed compassion for all at the start of this pandemic, senior players heavily involved in Premier League players taking wage cuts.

    "Then all that respect and goodwill is lost, poor this @LFC."

    The Premier League announced on Friday it will not resume action in early May as had previously been planned.

  • Ireland make early Kenny appointment as McCarthy steps down Ireland make early Kenny appointment as McCarthy steps down

    Stephen Kenny has replaced Mick McCarthy as Republic of Ireland manager, the Football Association of Ireland (FAI) announced on Saturday.

    The former Dundalk boss was primed to take the helm after Euro 2020, but the postponement of that tournament to next year amid the coronavirus pandemic has forced the FAI's hand.

    Ireland face Slovakia in the play-offs for the continental competition, but that tie is also subject to an indefinite delay.

    McCarthy, whose contract was due to expire on July 31, has therefore stepped aside early, with Under-21s boss Kenny officially taking on the role earlier than his previous start date of August 1.

    "The Football Association of Ireland announces that Mick McCarthy is to be succeeded as national team manager by Stephen Kenny with immediate effect," read a statement from the governing body.

    "The handover has been agreed with both men in light of the delay to the European Championship play-offs caused by the COVID-19 pandemic.

    "Mick McCarthy's contract was due to expire on July 31 after the UEFA Euro 2020 finals, with Stephen initially scheduled to step up from his Under-21 team role on August 1.

    "This move allows Stephen Kenny time to plan for the European Championship play-off semi-final against Slovakia later in the year."

  • Calcio in mourning as 'Italian George Best' Ezio Vendrame dies Calcio in mourning as 'Italian George Best' Ezio Vendrame dies

    Ezio Vendrame, a cult footballer who became known as the 'Italian George Best', has died at the age of 72.

    Vendrame was fondly remembered in Italy on Saturday as a maverick winger of the 1970s whose good looks and playboy lifestyle evoked comparisons to Manchester United and Northern Ireland great Best.

    La Gazzetta dello Sport remembered Vendrame as "a symbol of the seventies" as well as a "rebellious" player, who went on to write poetry and books.

    Vendrame appeared largely for Vicenza in Serie A, and the shaggy-haired, bearded player had a short spell at Napoli, with Udinese and Padova also among his former clubs.

    Accounts of his life were colourful, with Vendrame once detailing his relationship history by explaining: "How many women have I brought to bed? Hundreds, but I loved them one by one. I never made love without feeling."

    Vicenza said Vendrame died on Saturday at his home in Conegliano Veneto, describing him as a "genius, icon and symbol of a football that no longer exists". A number of reports stated Vendrame had been suffering with a tumour.

    He wrote a warts-and-all account of his career in a book titled 'If you send me to the stands, I'll be glad', and is said to have once stopped a match to greet his musician friend Piero Ciampi after spotting him in the stands.

    In a final interview, in October 2019, Vendrame apparently explained why he was rarely seen in public, saying: "If I have to talk to imbeciles, I'd prefer to die of loneliness."

    And describing the coaching of young players that earned him an income in the 1980s, he once said: "But some parents detest me, I dream of coaching a team of orphans."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.