Fekir didn't hesitate 'for one second' ahead of surprise Real Betis move

By Sports Desk September 20, 2019

France international Nabil Fekir insists he never hesitated when joining Real Betis, despite having been linked with bigger clubs.

Fekir, 26, joined Betis in July in a deal that could cost them almost €30million, having established himself as one of Ligue 1's biggest stars with Lyon.

His move came a year after a transfer to Liverpool reportedly fell through due to concerns over his knee, though he has since accused the Reds of creating that "excuse" in order to not sign him.

Fekir remained at Lyon for a further season and departed in search of a new challenge, becoming the central figure of a new era at Betis, essentially replacing Giovani Lo Celso after his move to Tottenham.

Despite many expressing surprise at Fekir leaving Lyon – who are in the Champions League – for a club not even in the Europa League, he insists he had no doubts about the switch.

Fekir told LaLiga: "I had a meeting with the board or directors and it went well, they explained to me the project they had.

"They wanted to be [near] the top of the table to qualify for Europe next season, I liked that and I did not hesitate one second.

"That [qualifying for Europe] will be complicated, but we are going to give our best. We have to be ambitious and I believe all players here are ambitious and we are all eager to play at the highest level, and the highest level is in Europe. We are going to give our all to achieve that.

"In Lyon I had a lot of freedom too, but I had been there a long time and I needed new challenges. I came here with great ambition and they paid a high amount for me, so I will give my all to show the level that they are expecting from me."

Fekir is one of six players to play in all of Betis' first four games of the season, with club icon Joaquin also accomplishing that despite turning 38 in pre-season.

The Betis captain's larger-than-life personality and penchant for a joke are renowned in Spanish football and Fekir is enjoying his company.

"He is very good, I have no complaints," the Frenchman said. "He gives us his good humour and it is important to have someone like him on the team that gives his support to everyone.

"He has a good spirit and the mood you always need to have, and in spite of being a 38-year-old, he still has great quality. You can see that on the pitch."

Related items

  • Rakitic returns to Barcelona with Achilles injury Rakitic returns to Barcelona with Achilles injury

    Ivan Rakitic has left the Croatia squad to return to Barcelona with an Achilles injury.

    The midfielder had been called up by head coach Zlatko Dalic for Saturday's final Euro 2020 qualifying match against Slovakia, in which a draw will be enough for the World Cup finalists to progress from Group E.

    Croatia then meet Georgia in a friendly match next week.

    However, Rakitic has gone back to Catalonia due to a heel problem and has not been named in the Barca squad for a charity game against Cartagena, the club confirmed on Tuesday.

    He told Novi List in his homeland: "I'm afraid I cannot help the team, but I'm convinced my team-mates will have success without me."

    The 31-year-old has struggled for regular football this season, starting just once in LaLiga for Ernesto Valverde's side.

    The former Sevilla star has been linked with a possible January move, with Juventus, Inter and AC Milan among the clubs said to be interested.

  • Ferdinand accuses Southgate of hanging Sterling out to dry Ferdinand accuses Southgate of hanging Sterling out to dry
  • Sterling and Gomez train with England after bust-up Sterling and Gomez train with England after bust-up

    Raheem Sterling and Joe Gomez trained with England on Tuesday after their altercation rocked the build-up to Thursday's Euro 2020 qualifier against Montenegro.

    Sterling will not be considered for selection when England play their 1,000th international at Wembley this week after an incident in a private team area at St George's Park.

    Manchester City forward Sterling clashed with Liverpool defender Gomez during the closing stages of his club's 3-1 defeat at Anfield on Sunday and, in an Instagram post, he conceded he let his emotions get the better of him when the pair were reunited on international duty.

    Despite saying he and Gomez had since put the flashpoint behind them, England manager Gareth Southgate decided to take action.

    Nevertheless, Sterling is still with the England squad and will be expected to return to the fray for the subsequent trip to Kosovo.

    It meant he was in attendance to train at St George's Park alongside Gomez, wrapped up in a snood and woolly hat to guard against the elements.

    Gary Neville has backed Southgate's decision to remove Sterling from England's next game, but Rio Ferdinand, the ex-Manchester United defender's team-mate for club and country, accused the Three Lions boss of hanging the 24-year-old "out to dry".

    Sterling has scored 18 goals in 21 appearances for City and England in 2019-20.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.