Schick loaned to RB Leipzig by Roma

By Sports Desk September 02, 2019

RB Leipzig have signed Roma forward Patrik Shick on loan for the rest of the season.

The Bundesliga club will pay a fee of €3.5million, with a further €500,000 depending on certain performance-related conditions being met.

If Leipzig qualify for the 2020-21 Champions League, they will have the option to make Shick's transfer permanent for €29m.

The 23-year-old Czech Republic international joined Roma on an initial loan from Sampdoria in August 2017, having impressed with 11 goals in his maiden Serie A season.

A youth product from Sparta Prague, Shick had seen a proposed move to Juventus collapse despite undergoing a medical in Turin – a saga that seemingly lingered over an underwhelming start to life in Italy's capital.

Over the course of 57 appearances for Roma in all competitions, he managed eight goals and will now look for a new lease of life with Julian Nagelsmann's Bundesliga pacesetters.

"I am very happy to be part of this great, young team and look forward to my new job," Shick, who has eight goals in 18 appearances for the Czech Republic, told his new club's official website.

"Of course, I came here to help the team and achieve our goals together. I am glad that everything worked out in the end with RB Leipzig."

Leipzig are the only team in Germany's top flight with a 100 per cent record from their opening three matches and host Bayern Munich in a mouth-watering clash on their return to action following the international break.

Roma have bolstered their attacking options on transfer deadline day with the loan signing of Nikola Kalinic from Atletico Madrid, with Henrikh Mkhitaryan also on the verge of completing a switch from Arsenal.

Related items

  • Leicester pledge to support striker Vardy after WAG saga Leicester pledge to support striker Vardy after WAG saga

    Leicester City striker Jamie Vardy has the support of the club after the spat between his wife Rebekah Vardy and Coleen Rooney, manager Brendan Rodgers has said.

    Coleen Rooney, wife of England's record goalscorer Wayne Rooney, last week alleged that stories about her personal life had been leaked to a newspaper by someone with access to Rebekah Vardy's Instagram account.

    By changing her privacy settings to mean only those logged in on Rebekah Vardy's account could view her Instagram stories, Coleen Rooney said she posted a series of fabricated tales about her personal life which made their way into print.

    Rebekah Vardy strenuously denied any involvement in passing on details to The Sun newspaper and hit back at Coleen Rooney.

    Rooney was nicknamed 'WAGatha Christie' by British media for the elaborate way in which she claimed to have worked out how the stories reached the public domain.

    Rebekah Vardy blamed "various people having access to my insta" and said she was "disgusted" to have to deny involvement at a time when she was heavily pregnant.

    The unusual saga came during football's international break. Wayne Rooney and Jamie Vardy are former England team-mates but have retired from playing for their country.

    Rodgers addressed the matter at a news conference on Thursday and said: "It's something that is personal and outside of our remit. All we ever offer is support to the players and their families.

    "I was aware of what went on last week. I actually gave Jamie an extra few days away with his family to have a rest and I'm sure that was a difficult week for them. We're here to support him, and his family if they need it."

    Rodgers added: "I spoke to Jamie earlier on in the week. He has trained fine and been great this week."

    Wayne Rooney, who is also Manchester United's record scorer, will return to English football following his time with MLS team DC United when he joins Championship club Derby County in January.

    Jamie Vardy has scored five Premier League goals for Leicester this season, with Rodgers' men riding high in fourth position. They play Burnley on Saturday.

  • Spanish federation poised to deliver Clasico verdict Spanish federation poised to deliver Clasico verdict

    A decision on whether next week's Clasico between Barcelona and Real Madrid can go ahead at Camp Nou is set to be made on Thursday, Royal Spanish Football Federation (RFEF) president Luis Rubiales said.

    Violent scenes broke out in Barcelona at the start of the week after nine Catalan political leaders received long prison sentences for their roles in the region's 2017 referendum and subsequent declaration of independence.

    A rally in the city has been called by pro-independence politicians for October 26, the day Barca are due to host bitter rivals Madrid.

    Barcelona's main airport was briefly closed on Tuesday due to the tension, with Spanish league officials raising concern the Clasico could be affected by protests.

    One option would be to move the game to Madrid and for Barca to host the second Clasico of the season, but that was opposed by Blaugrana head coach Ernesto Valverde on Thursday.

    There have also been suggestions the match should be postponed and an alternative date in the calendar found. Valverde thinks the game should go ahead as planned.

    Rubiales said Barca and Madrid swiftly submitted their observations on the matter and the RFEF would be seeking to make an early decision.

    "I can assure that we will work to try to have a resolution this evening, because there are people involved, supporters with booked trips, tickets, media, and that is what we have done," Rubiales said.

    "Regarding the government, what I can say is that this is a matter of football, and it is the competition committee which has to decide. So the government hasn't contacted us or asked for one or another thing."

  • Roma coach Fonseca's touchline ban reduced to one match Roma coach Fonseca's touchline ban reduced to one match

    Roma coach Paulo Fonseca has had his Serie A touchline ban reduced from two matches to one.

    Fonseca was handed a two-game ban by the Lega Serie A after continuing to aggressively shout at referee Davide Massa following his dismissal in Roma's 1-1 draw with Cagliari on October 6.

    However, the 46-year-old appealed the decision and will now only miss one game - Sunday's trip to Sampdoria - before returning to the dugout for next week's home meeting with AC Milan.

    Roma, who confirmed the news on their official Twitter page on Thursday, sit fifth in Serie A ahead of their return to action this weekend.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.