Fernando Llorente joins Napoli on free transfer

By Sports Desk September 02, 2019

Napoli have sealed the signing of free agent Fernando Llorente.

The former Juventus striker returns to Italy following the expiry of his contract with Tottenham.

Llorente, 34, spent two seasons in north London, scoring two Premier League goals and three in the Champions League, including the controversial effort which earned Spurs a semi-final triumph over Manchester City in April.

The former Athletic Bilbao, Sevilla and Swansea City centre-forward previously scored 16 times in a title-winning Serie A campaign for Juve.

Napoli have not confirmed the length of the deal, but reports in Italy indicate it is for two years.

Llorente's move to Stadio San Paolo could herald the end of the club's reported interest in Inter star Mauro Icardi, who has been told he can leave.

Carlo Ancelotti's men have scored eight goals in their two matches this term but lost 4-3 to defending champions Juve in their final outing before the international break, Kalidou Koulibaly's late own goal settling Saturday's thriller.

Related items

  • Messi: PSG star Neymar not wanted at Barcelona by some Messi: PSG star Neymar not wanted at Barcelona by some

    Lionel Messi believes a return to Barcelona for Paris Saint-Germain forward Neymar is "complicated" because some people do not want him back at the club.

    Neymar attempted to engineer a return to Camp Nou during the previous transfer window, just two years after leaving for the Ligue 1 side in a world-record €222million deal.

    The strained relationship between the two clubs was said to have impacted transfer discussions, however, and the Brazil international remains a PSG player.

    Messi starred in a front three alongside Neymar and Luis Suarez and they remain in contact, but the Argentina star is unsure if a reunion at Barca will be possible.

    "We talk often and we have a group chat with Luis Suarez," Messi told Buenos Aires radio station Metro 95.1. 

    "The issue of his return is complicated. Firstly, because it was difficult to see him leave, secondly because of how he left.

    "There are people from the club and members who do not want him to return. If it is for sporting reasons, Neymar is one of the best in the world, but I understand the other factors."

    Messi, presented with the European Golden Shoe for a sixth time this week, recently declared he intends to see out the remainder of his career at Barcelona.

    However, unlike fellow club icon Andres Iniesta, he has ruled out signing a lifetime contract

    "That was talked about a while ago, as was done with Iniesta and the others," he said.

    "I don't want a contract to tie me up because I don't know how I'm going to feel. I don't want to be [under contract] if I'm not well.

    "I'm going to compete as long as I feel good physically, but obviously I would stay a lifetime."

    Messi also opened up on his rivalry with Cristiano Ronaldo, who he competed with for team and individual honours for just short of a decade during the Portuguese forward's time at Real Madrid.

    Ronaldo moved to Juventus in 2018 and Messi admits Barca's Clasico showdowns with Madrid have lost some lustre as a result.

    "Yes, it was good when he was in the Spanish league," Messi said.

    "It made the Clasicos more special and gave them more value."

  • Ancelotti thanks De Laurentiis for clearing up Napoli 'lies' Ancelotti thanks De Laurentiis for clearing up Napoli 'lies'

    Carlo Ancelotti is pleased to have the full backing of Aurelio De Laurentiis and has thanked Napoli's chairman for clarifying "lies" that surfaced in the media.

    Italian outlet Corriere dello Sport this month reported Ancelotti is considering his future at Stadio San Paolo following a difficult run of form.

    Napoli entered the international break on the back of one win in four matches in all competitions and already trail Serie A leaders Juventus by six points.

    De Laurentiis this week rubbished suggestions he had fallen out with Ancelotti and assured the veteran coach he can stay on for another decade should he wish.

    Ancelotti has reiterated he is happy in Naples and is keen to get his side's campaign back on track, starting with victory at home to Hellas Verona on Saturday.

    "De Laurentiis' comments cleared up the rubbish we've heard people saying about us," he said at Friday's pre-match news conference.

    "We have an excellent relationship and I'm very happy here. What the president said came from the heart. 

    "I'm pleased he has confidence in me and I'm also happy he cleared up some of the lies that have been going around.

    "What matters now is that we look forward and get back to winning again. We have a very important game tomorrow which gives us the chance to pick up three points and get going again."

    Back-to-back goalless draws have been compounded by tension between Ancelotti and captain Lorenzo Insigne, who was left out of the squad for the stalemate with Genk.

    Insigne admitted this week he does not always see eye-to-eye with his coach, though Ancelotti has talked up the forward's importance.

    "The situation with Lorenzo is not at all complicated," he said. "He made an excellent start to the season then he had a dip in form and I decided to rest him. 

    "He's a key player when he's relaxed, happy and able to fire up the team as he does so well. He's less effective when he's on edge because he's not able to express his full potential.

    "I didn't think he looked sharp in training and decided that it was best [to leave him out against Genk] - a strong decision perhaps but it's all cleared up. I repeat, Insigne is a hugely important player for us."

  • Injury setback delays Sensi return for Inter Injury setback delays Sensi return for Inter

    Inter midfielder Stefano Sensi is set to miss out on a reunion with Sassuolo after suffering another injury to his right thigh.

    The on-loan Italy international was being reintegrated into training ahead of this weekend's Serie A fixture when he reported a "small" problem, according to an Inter statement.

    An MRI scan on Friday detected a strain in the same thigh he injured in the 2-1 loss to Juventus before the international break.

    Sensi lasted until the 34th minute of that match and could now miss next week's crucial Champions League clash against Borussia Dortmund, along with Sunday's trip to face the club he left in July.

    "Today's tests revealed a strain to the psoas muscle," Inter's statement read. "His condition will be assessed in the next few days."

    Sensi is on loan at Inter from Sassuolo but is widely expected to make the move permanent for a reported €25million fee at the end of the campaign.

    The 24-year-old has been one of the key factors in the Nerazzurri's strong start under Antonio Conte, scoring three goals in seven league appearances.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.