'We'll see if he goes to a team outside of Italy' – Icardi's agent hints at PSG move

By Sports Desk September 01, 2019

Mauro Icardi's agent and wife Wanda Nara hinted the Inter outcast could join Paris Saint-Germain before Monday's transfer deadline.

The transfer window is set to close and Icardi's future is still unresolved amid links to Ligue 1 champions PSG, LaLiga outfits Atletico Madrid and Valencia, as well as Napoli.

Inter are determined to sell star forward Icardi, who was stripped of the captaincy last season and is not wanted by head coach Antonio Conte.

Amid reports Icardi could make a deadline-day move to PSG on loan, Nara told Tiki Taka: "I'll work until the end of the transfer window.

"There are a couple of teams. My relationship with the Inter board is very good.

"Boca Juniors would be difficult, but there are solutions in Europe.

"We'll see if he goes to a team outside of Italy."

It comes amid speculation Icardi's lawyer is reportedly threatening to sue Inter over his exclusion from the first team.

Gazzetta dello Sport reported Icardi's legal team will seek to bring action against Inter in order to have the former club captain reinstated in the squad, which necessitates a claim for damages.

An Inter spokesperson declined to comment on the matter when contacted by Omnisport.

When asked about the Icardi saga prior to Sunday's 2-1 win over Cagliari, Inter CEO Giuseppe Marotta told Sky: "We have been very clear before and we are calm today.

"We will also face this situation, but I think it is right to give space to the players who go on the pitch, to the fans, and to the club.

"It is not a question to be solved. It is not a problem; it is ordinary football management. At the end of the transfer window, it will be clearer."

Related items

  • Favre: Everything still possible despite Dortmund defeat Favre: Everything still possible despite Dortmund defeat

    Borussia Dortmund head coach Lucien Favre remains upbeat about his team's qualification chances, despite their loss to Inter in the Champions League.

    Dortmund left Milan emptyhanded after going down 2-0 to hosts Inter in Group F action on Wednesday.

    Favre's side succumbed to goals from Lautaro Martinez and Antonio Candreva at San Siro, where Inter leapfrogged Dortmund into second position on goal difference.

    Inter and Dortmund are level on four points after three matchdays, three points adrift of leaders Barcelona.

    Reflecting on the match, Favre – whose position has reportedly come into question amid Jose Mourinho being linked to his job – said: "We played well; in the first half we were very solid, too bad that we conceded that first goal.

    "Except for that, it was okay. We didn't have lots of chances but played rather well. We waited patiently and avoided counterattacks. We had a clear chance which we should have done better with.

    "We went in at the break a goal down, then had a couple of chances before they made it 2-0. We should have done better with those chances.

    "It was our plan to play a compact game and press them in the right moment. We cannot expect to have 10 chances against this team. It is a difficult group, but everything is still possible."

    Dortmund are fourth in the Bundesliga and only one point off the pace after their win over leaders Borussia Monchengladbach last week.

    However, Favre – who saw Dortmund finish runners-up to Bayern Munich last season after surrendering a lead atop the table – has still been criticised in Germany.

    "Some things were missing, we did not get bodies into the box," Dortmund general manager Sebastian Kehl said, in quotes published on UEFA.com. "Nevertheless, we didn't necessarily have to lose 2-0 today.

    "The coach had an idea how to change things, it did work out quite well, we did not allow them a lot, but we were asleep for the opener. I don't think the tactical set-up was the problem."

  • Ancelotti hails Mertens after Belgian beats Maradona's Napoli record Ancelotti hails Mertens after Belgian beats Maradona's Napoli record

    Napoli head coach Carlo Ancelotti hailed Dries Mertens' record-breaking performance as "great" after the Serie A outfit edged Salzburg 3-2 in an entertaining Champions League clash in Austria.

    Mertens put Napoli in front on two occasions before Lorenzo Insigne came off the bench to get the winner for Ancelotti's men in Group E action on Wednesday.

    Belgium international Mertens has now scored 116 goals for Napoli, second only to former captain Marek Hamsik (121).

    Mertens' brace saw him move past Napoli legend Diego Maradona on the club's list of all-time scorers and kept the Italian side on top of Group E, one point ahead of Champions League holders Liverpool.

    "It's a great night for him, for us," Ancelotti told Sky Sports Italia. "We fought hard. It was a fascinating match and we stayed focused for 90 minutes. It's a great result.

    "We started strong, took the lead, struggled a little and then got it back under control. Those who came off the bench gave an excellent contribution and it's a wonderful night for everyone."

    Ancelotti also praised super-sub Insigne for his late, vital contribution.

    "I had told before the game, 'You will play and decide the match, but I don't know if you'll play 10, 20 or 30 minutes'. I'm not a magician – but I told him that!"

    The 32-year-old Mertens arrived at Napoli in 2013 from PSV.

    His best season in front of goal for Napoli was the 2016-17 campaign, when he netted 28 times in the Serie A and added six more in cup competitions.

    Mertens has already scored three goals in this season's Champions League after also netting in Napoli's 2-0 win over Liverpool last month.

    Napoli host Salzburg in their next Champions League fixture on November 5.

  • Conte: Borussia Dortmund were afraid of Inter Conte: Borussia Dortmund were afraid of Inter

    Antonio Conte claimed Borussia Dortmund feared Inter following the Nerazzurri's 2-0 Champions League victory on Wednesday.

    Lautaro Martinez and Antonio Candreva both scored for Inter at San Siro, where the Italian side registered their first Champions League win under Conte.

    Martinez – who also had a second-half penalty saved – made it five goals in four games for Inter as he opened the scoring in the 22nd minute before Candreva sealed the Group F points with a minute of regulation remaining.

    It was Inter's first victory over German opposition since March 2011 and head coach Conte told Sky Sport Italia: "Borussia Dortmund changed their system to five at the back, which means they were afraid of us and wanted to play by changing their approach to mirror ours.

    "We had prepared for a very different match, but did well to adjust. When Dortmund switched back to 4-2-3-1 after the break, we adjusted again and took control.

    "We had prepared to press them in certain areas of the pitch and they changed their system, so that was no longer valid. The most important thing I told the lads was not to lose possession in central areas, as that is where they push forward on the counter.

    "Roberto Gagliardini, Nicolo Barella and Marcelo Brozovic did a great job both in defending and attacking. I often tell Brozo off for attacking too much, but he had a great game tonight with both phases. Barella is so generous and passionate, but he does give me anxiety attacks when he gets booked after 10-15 minutes."

    Inter now have four points from three games in Group F and moved up to second – ahead of Dortmund on goal difference – and three points adrift of leaders Barcelona.

    "It's tough against Borussia Dortmund, who are a very good team. It's still difficult to qualify, but we know that we're alive and kicking," Conte added.

    "It is not a simple situation. The lads did well and dealing with a series of injuries, we still put in a great performance. I am happy above all for the players, as these nights reward them for their sacrifices.

    "I told the team that they worked so hard with Luciano Spalletti to qualify for the Champions League, so it was important we give our all to keep that dream going.

    "We're not the favourites in this group, but we had to win to stay in the running and we did it. Now we've got Parma coming up, not even three days away, so we need to be very wary, as Saturday is the toughest game and not tonight."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.