Pogba could use Real Madrid and Zidane, says United star's brother

By Sports Desk August 26, 2019

Mathias Pogba said everyone knows that Manchester United midfielder Paul Pogba could use Real Madrid and Zinedine Zidane amid continued links to the LaLiga giants.

Paul Pogba reportedly remains a target for Madrid, who are keen to bring the United star to the Santiago Bernabeu before the European transfer window shuts on September 2.

United are believed to want close to the world-record €222million fee Paris Saint-Germain paid Barcelona for Neymar in 2017.

Mathias Pogba – Paul's older brother who plays in the fourth tier of Spanish football – was asked about the French World Cup winner's future.

"I don't know, I'm not inside the Bernabeu. In football you never know," Mathias Pogba told AS when asked if a move to Madrid is still possible.

"He is very well, as always. No one expects me to say something bad about United. He is a professional and his present is there. 

"The future? It depends on the clubs: that Manchester wants to sell and that Madrid wants to buy. This is business.

"Everyone knows that my brother could use Real Madrid and Zidane. Those who have to talk are Madrid and Manchester United."

"I don't know what to say ... Zidane has always spoken well of my brother, it's an honour," he continued.

Paul Pogba, who arrived from Juventus in 2016, has tallied two assists in three matches for United this season.

The 26-year-old set up two goals in United's 4-0 rout of Chelsea in their Premier League opener, while he missed a penalty in a 1-1 draw at Wolves on August 19.

United were stunned 2-1 by Crystal Palace last week to be left with four points from three matches to start the season.

Related items

  • Benteke & Tomkins renew Crystal Palace contracts Benteke & Tomkins renew Crystal Palace contracts

    Christian Benteke and James Tomkins have signed new deals with Crystal Palace, the Premier League club have announced.

    Belgium striker Benteke has scored just one top-flight goal since the start of last season and was due to be out of contract next June.

    The 28-year-old has agreed to stay on for a further 12 months, however, while centre-back Tomkins has extended his deal through to the end of 2021-22.

    Tomkins has played 87 times for the south London side since joining in 2016, but he has not featured since injuring his groin in April.

    Palace confirmed the new deals on their official website on Thursday and chairman Steve Parish added: "I'm pleased that agreements have been reached with these two important senior players. 

    "Both James and Christian bring vast Premier League experience, commitment and professionalism to the squad.  

    "These new deals show that we recognise their levels of performance in recent seasons, that we believe in both players, and that they are hugely motivated by the direction the club is heading."

  • Spanish federation poised to deliver Clasico verdict Spanish federation poised to deliver Clasico verdict

    A decision on whether next week's Clasico between Barcelona and Real Madrid can go ahead at Camp Nou is set to be made on Thursday, Royal Spanish Football Federation (RFEF) president Luis Rubiales said.

    Violent scenes broke out in Barcelona at the start of the week after nine Catalan political leaders received long prison sentences for their roles in the region's 2017 referendum and subsequent declaration of independence.

    A rally in the city has been called by pro-independence politicians for October 26, the day Barca are due to host bitter rivals Madrid.

    Barcelona's main airport was briefly closed on Tuesday due to the tension, with Spanish league officials raising concern the Clasico could be affected by protests.

    One option would be to move the game to Madrid and for Barca to host the second Clasico of the season, but that was opposed by Blaugrana head coach Ernesto Valverde on Thursday.

    There have also been suggestions the match should be postponed and an alternative date in the calendar found. Valverde thinks the game should go ahead as planned.

    Rubiales said Barca and Madrid swiftly submitted their observations on the matter and the RFEF would be seeking to make an early decision.

    "I can assure that we will work to try to have a resolution this evening, because there are people involved, supporters with booked trips, tickets, media, and that is what we have done," Rubiales said.

    "Regarding the government, what I can say is that this is a matter of football, and it is the competition committee which has to decide. So the government hasn't contacted us or asked for one or another thing."

  • Roma coach Fonseca's touchline ban reduced to one match Roma coach Fonseca's touchline ban reduced to one match

    Roma coach Paulo Fonseca has had his Serie A touchline ban reduced from two matches to one.

    Fonseca was handed a two-game ban by the Lega Serie A after continuing to aggressively shout at referee Davide Massa following his dismissal in Roma's 1-1 draw with Cagliari on October 6.

    However, the 46-year-old appealed the decision and will now only miss one game - Sunday's trip to Sampdoria - before returning to the dugout for next week's home meeting with AC Milan.

    Roma, who confirmed the news on their official Twitter page on Thursday, sit fifth in Serie A ahead of their return to action this weekend.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.