Dembele 'not at all threatened' by potential Neymar return to Barcelona

By Sports Desk August 21, 2019

Ousmane Dembele "doesn't feel at all threatened" by the possibility of Neymar going back to Barcelona, the forward's agent has said.

Speculation persists over Neymar's future at Paris Saint-Germain, with the latest reports saying Barca have had a bid of a two-year loan with an option to buy rejected by the Ligue 1 champions.

Should the Brazil star secure a return to Camp Nou, though, it is likely to leave Dembele's position in the first team unclear, with the France international struggling for consistency and fitness since his move from Borussia Dortmund for an initial €105million in 2017.

However, his representative, Moussa Sissoko, says Neymar's future will have no impact on Dembele's determination to succeed with the Spanish champions.

"When you are a high-level sportsman, you have to accept that you are praised but also subjected to criticism," he told RMC Sport. "[Dembele] is focused on his goals, and he knows what he has to do in order to succeed at Barca.

"He doesn't feel at all threatened. When you play for Barca, you expect there to be competition. Neymar or anyone else - he does not care about that and [only] cares about what he has to do."

Sissoko says there has been interest in Dembele but that all those clubs, PSG included, have been told the player has no desire for a transfer.

"We received notice of interest from big clubs," he said. "But we were clear on the fact that he did not want to leave. I told them from the start that he wants to succeed at Barcelona. The door is closed, and Paris or any other club are aware of our intentions.

"In our plans, he wants to stay and all his work is towards that. We are working on that."

Dembele was diagnosed with a hamstring injury this week that is likely to keep him out for over a month, furthering suggestions his lifestyle is hampering his fitness and professional development.

His former chef told Le Parisien on Wednesday: "Ousmane is a good guy but he doesn't have control of his life. He lives with his uncle and his best friend, who don't dare say anything to him. It's a crazy life.

"I've never seen him drink alcohol but he doesn't respect his rest times, there's no professional structure around him."

However, when asked about those comments, Sissoko said: "I do not want to give an advertisement to the chef who criticised him. Ousmane chose him, and it's me who stopped working with him, because he didn't correspond to what we wanted."

Related items

  • Leon Bailey set to miss Reggae Boyz’ Nations League outing Leon Bailey set to miss Reggae Boyz’ Nations League outing

    Reggae Boy Leon Bailey will not play for the country when it takes on a pair of games against Aruba in October.

    The Reggae Boyz begin their CONCACAF Nations League tie against Aruba at the National Stadium in Kingston on October 12 but then move on to Curacao for the away leg two days later.

    Bailey’s unavailability was confirmed when scans showed a muscular tear following Bayer Leverkusen's UEFA Champions League game against Locomotiv Moscow.

    Bailey has proved a little underwhelming, since coming into the Reggae Boyz line up for, first the Gold Cup, and now the CNL, but managed to score his first goal for the outfit earlier this month as the side crushed Antigua & Barbuda 6-0.

    Bailey will be absent for about a month and won’t be available until November 15 and 18 when the Reggae Boyz take on Antigua & Barbuda and Guyana.

  • Reggae Boyz Nations League game moved to Curacao Reggae Boyz Nations League game moved to Curacao

    Jamaica were to have their next CONCACAF Nations League away game against Aruba on October 15 but that has been changed to a fixture in Curacao.

    According to reports, Aruba’s home field, did not meet the FIFA and CONCACAF standards to host international fixtures.

    The Reggae Boyz have played at the Ergilio Hato Stadium before when they visited Bonaire in Nations League action from last year.

    It has been 22 years since the Reggae Boyz last played Aruba in a 6-0 affair and based on the start the team has had, that kind of result could be on the cards for the tiny island nation.

    The Reggae Boyz started League ‘B’ positively, winning their first two games against Antigua & Barbuda and Guyana, 6-0 and 4-0 respectively.

    Aruba, on the other hand, have found the league’s Group C a rough place to be, losing their games to remain rooted to the foot of the table without a point. Aruba lost to Antigua & Barbuda 2-1, before suffering a 1-0 loss to Guyana.

    The tie between the teams could be well and truly over with the Reggae Boyz first facing them in a home game at the National Stadium in Jamaica on October 12.

  • Simeone ignoring reports Griezmann negotiated Barca commission while at Atletico Simeone ignoring reports Griezmann negotiated Barca commission while at Atletico

    Diego Simeone dodged questions relating to Antoine Griezmann on Friday after reports claimed the France international negotiated a €14million signing-on fee with Barcelona while still an Atletico Madrid player.

    Griezmann joined Barca in July when the Catalan club deposited the €120m to activate his release clause, which had dropped from €200m at the start of that month.

    It brought an end to prolonged speculation about the attacker's future, though Atletico were adamant Barca and the player had struck some form of deal before July, meaning they felt they were owed a further €80m.

    Barca insisted they only began negotiations in July, but Spanish newspaper El Mundo claimed on Thursday they had obtained evidence suggesting Griezmann discussed a commission in March.

    Simeone was unwilling to address the matter in his pre-match news conference ahead of Saturday's visit of Celta Vigo, however.

    "I'm thinking about Celta, I'm not interested in anything else," he told reporters.

    "With all due respect to you, I understand the questions, but honestly, after playing on Wednesday we use the time to think about Celta.

    "They have a reinforced team, the talent they have, the arrival of Rafinha, the presence of [Santi] Mina that creates an important attack. We are more focused on that.

    "I understand your objective, but I've got mine."

    New Atletico signing Renan Lodi received his first senior Brazil call-up on Friday, with the left-back having caught the eye during his early days at the club.

    Although he was shown a red card on his LaLiga debut, he appears to have made the spot on the left of defence his own and Simeone is pleased with the 21-year-old's impact.

    "He has been doing a great job since the first day he arrived," Simeone said. "He has extraordinary attributes that will grow with work.

    "Hopefully he can maintain this situation of wanting to improve and I'm happy he's been selected by the national team."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.