Real Madrid's Brahim Diaz suffers latest injury setback

By Sports Desk August 20, 2019

Brahim Diaz is set for another spell on the sidelines after suffering an abdominal injury, Real Madrid have confirmed.

The 20-year-old forward only returned to training last week having missed the bulk of pre-season due to a hamstring problem.

A timeframe has not been placed on Diaz's recovery.

A club statement read: "Following the tests carried out today on our player, Brahim Diaz, by the Real Madrid medical department, he has been diagnosed with a muscular injury to his right anterior rectus.

"His recovery will continue to be assessed."

Diaz joined Madrid from Manchester City for an initial €17million in January and started four of their final five LaLiga games last season, scoring his maiden goal in a 3-1 defeat at Real Sociedad.

This bout of fitness problems has proved particularly untimely, denying Diaz the chance to press his claims amid the arrivals of Luka Jovic, Rodrygo and Eden Hazard – although the latter two have also been hit with injury setbacks.

Related items

  • Simeone confident Atletico results will soon match his desire Simeone confident Atletico results will soon match his desire

    Diego Simeone insists his desire cannot be doubted despite Atletico Madrid's dismal early Copa del Rey exit and is confident the team will soon return to form.

    Atleti were the victims of a major upset on Thursday, crashing out to third-tier Cultural Leonesa 2-1 in the last 32.

    Simeone's side have now lost their past three matches in all competitions, with just six wins in 17 in LaLiga games since early September.

    But the coach says he will continue to knuckle down, just as he battled on after a pair of Champions League final defeats to rivals Real Madrid, and backed his side to turn the corner.

    "I have the desire to work like every day since I arrived," he told reporters.

    "The penalties or the extra time in the Champions League didn't change me, nor will going out in this round.

    "I have an important squad and results will come soon."

    He added: "You are in the position to have an opinion on what you feel and we don't have the choice but to work, me and my players," he said.

    "We couldn't be clinical in front of goal - that's football - and when you can't score, everything is more difficult."

  • Rumour Has It: Eriksen to Inter a 'done deal' ahead of Monday medical Rumour Has It: Eriksen to Inter a 'done deal' ahead of Monday medical

    The Christian Eriksen saga could reach an end point as soon as Monday.

    Reports in Italy indicate the midfielder's move to Inter is all but complete and a medical has been scheduled.

    Eriksen's uncertain future has troubled Tottenham since well before Mauricio Pochettino's departure, with the Denmark international due to become a free agent at the end of the season.

     

    TOP STORY – ERIKSEN DEAL AGREED

    Eriksen, 27, will undergo a medical in Milan at the beginning of next week, according to various reports in Italy.

    CalcioMercato claims Tottenham owner Daniel Levy has accepted an offer from Inter worth €15million (£12.6m), plus €5m (£4.2m) in add-ons.

    Eriksen's new contract will reportedly run through to 2024 as the playmaker looks for a fresh start after growing stale in the Premier League.

    If the move goes ahead, he will become Antonio Conte's third signing of the January transfer window after wing-backs Ashley Young and Victor Moses.

     

    ROUND-UP

    - Manchester United could face frustration in their long-running negotiations for Bruno Fernandes, which The Sun says have "collapsed" due to Sporting CP's valuation.

    - United, meanwhile, are considering a shock move to bring Boca Juniors striker Carlos Tevez, 35, back to Old Trafford, claims Tuttosport. The Red Devils are in need of attacking reinforcements after losing Marcus Rashford to injury.

    - Arsenal captain Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang has given LaLiga giants Barcelona the green light to begin transfer talks, according to Mundo Deportivo.

    - Bayern Munich have commenced "concrete discussions" with Lyon over 19-year-old winger Yaya Soumare, reports L'Equipe. Salzburg and Bayern's Bundesliga rivals RB Leipzig are also said to be interested.

    - Brazilian attacking midfielder Lucas Paqueta asked Stefano Pioli to be left out of Milan's match against against Brescia because he is keen to leave the club, claims CalcioMercato. Paris Saint-Germain are said to be interested.

  • Warner given official nod for UK Privy Council appeal Warner given official nod for UK Privy Council appeal

    Former FIFA vice Jack Warner has officially been given final approval to appeal extradition proceedings filed against him to the UK Privy Council.

    Warner, the disgraced former CONCACAF boss, has been battling to avoid extradition to the United States since 2015.  The ex-football official faces charges of corruption stemming from alleged financial impropriety committed during a long tenure with world football’s governing body. 

    Last year, Warner tried and failed to have the extradition appeal dismissed on procedural grounds.  The three judges of Trinidad and Tobago’s Court of Appeal opted to uphold the original decision to dismiss Warner’s review, which was made in September 2017.

    Warner, who was also been ordered to pay US$79m in damages to CONCACAF by a federal judge in New York City last summer, is currently out on $TT 2.5m bail and banned for life by FIFA.

    The authority to proceed (ATP) with Warner’s extradition as part of the FIFA indictments, was signed in 2016 by Trinidad and Tobago Attorney General Faris Al-Rawi.  Warner is wanted on various counts of corruption, graft, bribery and money laundering.

     

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.