Perisic: When Bayern Munich come calling, you cannot say no

By Sports Desk August 14, 2019

Ivan Perisic had no doubts about joining Bayern Munich once the Bundesliga champions came calling, even if he was not their first-choice target.

Perisic signed for Bayern on Tuesday, arriving on an initial one-season loan from Inter, with an option to buy.

Bayern had looked set to make a move for Leroy Sane throughout the transfer window, but any possibility of signing the Manchester City winger was ended when the 23-year-old sustained knee ligament damage in the Community Shield clash with Liverpool on August 4.

The move for Perisic was made swiftly, though not all Bayern fans have been pleased by the transfer, with coach Niko Kovac hitting out at suggestions the Croatia forward was not of the standard required.

Although Perisic acknowledged he was not Bayern's primary candidate, the former Borussia Dortmund and Wolfsburg man insisted it was a simple decision to move back to the Bundesliga.

"It happened really quickly. Everybody knows what happened [with Sane], and I hope he recovers well and quickly," Perisic told a news conference ahead of Bayern's opening Bundesliga fixture on Friday.

"But when they called me, I took only a few hours to take my decision with my family. When a club like Bayern call, you cannot say no.

"That's the reason I’m here. I want to do the best here every day, each game and I hope it's going to be a successful year."

Perisic will have to compete with Kingsley Coman, Serge Gnabry and youngster Alphonso Davies for a spot in Kovac's side, though at 30, he adds some more experience to Bayern's attack following the departures of Arjen Robben and Franck Ribery.

"I'm coming here to be part of the team, and to play. There are a lot of games, and at this level you cannot play all the games," Perisic said.

"We need everybody, at least 17, 18 players if you want to be on top. You know during the season there's going to be injuries, so we'll need everybody."

Perisic scored eight Serie A goals for Inter, who he joined in 2015, last term, though believes his form was hindered due to a lack of rest following Croatia's run to the World Cup final.

"The last year was a really difficult one after the final. I had not even 20 days for recovery," he added.

"When I returned to Inter I was back in the side for the first game of Serie A. That was the reason the season was many ups and many downs.

"When you look at all the players who played in the final, you will see maybe one or two that had a really good season.

"But this season I had a really good pre-season with Inter, with the new coach [Antonio] Conte he is a really hard worker, and it's going to help me a lot here."

Related items

  • Favre refuses to discuss Sancho's suspension after Dortmund win without star Favre refuses to discuss Sancho's suspension after Dortmund win without star

    Borussia Dortmund head coach Lucien Favre refused to discuss Jadon Sancho being dropped for the victory over Bundesliga leaders Borussia Monchengladbach.

    Dortmund suspended star Sancho for Saturday's clash following reports he returned late from international duty with England this week.

    Favre's Dortmund won 1-0 without 19-year-old sensation Sancho thanks to Marco Reus' 58th-minute goal at home to Gladbach.

    Asked about Sancho – who has been heavily linked to Premier League giants Manchester United – Favre told reporters: "I am not going to comment on that. It was a disciplinary measure.

    "Tomorrow is a new day. That's all. It stays internal."

    Sancho has scored three goals and supplied five assists in Bundesliga games this season but started on the bench in the 2-2 draw against Freiburg on October 5.

    The Englishman – who arrived from Manchester City in 2017 – scored 12 goals and supplied 14 assists as Dortmund finished runners-up to Bayern Munich last season.

    "We have a responsibility for the club and, in this case, also for the hygiene of the squad," Dortmund's sporting director Michael Zorc said.

    "And therefore the decision was without an alternative. [Sancho] trained alone today and we'd like to think he'll be back against Inter [in the Champions League].

    "He is only suspended today [Saturday]. Jadon is a good lad, but he's very young and shot to the top. He might test his limits and that's why we decided to not call him up today."

  • Challengers make hay, CIC relegation woes worsen Challengers make hay, CIC relegation woes worsen

    Secondary Schools Football League (SSFL) Premier Division challengers, St Anthony’s College and Presentation College both took advantage of idle leaders and defending champions Naparima College with wins in Saturday’s round of games.

    Getting into the business end of the tournament, the defending champions will have to keep winning now, as St Anthony’s College are three points adrift of the leaders, while last season’s runners up, Presentation College are four points away, having played one less game.

    The difference between the teams if everybody keeps winning is just one point. Presentation kept things close by virtue of a 1-0 win over Trinity College East, while St Anthony’s kept up the pressure by dominating relegation-troubled Malick Secondary 4-1.

    At the other end of the table, St Mary’s College continue to find this season more than a little challenging, remaining rooted to the foot on four points after a 5-0 loss to Carapichaima East Secondary.

    In other games on Saturday, Pleasantville Secondary were 3-1 winners over Speyside, East Mucurapo College beat Trinity College Moka 5-2, while Queen’s Royal College clipped St Benedict’s College 1-0.

    San Juan North Secondary continued to do good work toward the top of the table, with a 3-1 win over St Augustine Secondary, leaving them lying seventh.

     

    Pos

    Team

    P

    W

    D

    L

    F

    A

    +-

    Pts

    1

    Naparima College

    11

    9

    2

    0

    30

    10

    20

    29

    2

    St Anthony's College

    11

    8

    2

    1

    35

    11

    24

    26

    3

    Presentation College

    10

    8

    1

    1

    26

    6

    20

    25

    4

    Carapichaima East Secondary

    11

    6

    4

    1

    21

    14

    7

    22

    5

    East Mucurapo Secondary

    11

    6

    3

    2

    23

    11

    12

    21

    6

    Queen's Royal College

    10

    6

    1

    3

    19

    20

    -1

    19

    7

    San Juan North Secondary

    11

    5

    2

    4

    26

    10

    16

    17

    8

    St Augustine Secondary

    11

    3

    4

    4

    26

    21

    5

    13

    9

    Pleasantville Secondary

    11

    4

    1

    6

    15

    17

    -2

    13

    10

    Trinity College East

    10

    3

    2

    5

    13

    17

    -4

    11

    11

    St Benedict's College

    11

    3

    1

    7

    12

    20

    -8

    10

    12

    Speyside Secondary

    11

    2

    2

    7

    14

    34

    -20

    8

    13

    Malick Secondary

    11

    2

    1

    8

    16

    26

    -10

    7

    14

    Trinity College Moka

    11

    1

    1

    9

    13

    38

    -25

    4

    15

    St Mary's College

    11

    1

    1

    9

    5

    39

    -34

    4

     

     

     

  • Ancelotti: I'll call Ibrahimovic about Napoli move Ancelotti: I'll call Ibrahimovic about Napoli move

    Carlo Ancelotti joked he will call Zlatan Ibrahimovic about a move to Napoli following Saturday's 2-0 win over Hellas Verona.

    LA Galaxy superstar Ibrahimovic talked up his chances of a return to Serie A as the 38-year-old expressed his interest in playing for Ancelotti's Napoli.

    Former Juventus, Inter and AC Milan striker Ibrahimovic claimed he would score 20 goals a season in Italy's top flight during an interview with Gazzetta dello Sport.

    Responding to Ibrahimovic's comments after Arkadiusz Milik's double guided Napoli past Verona, head coach Ancelotti told Sky Sport Italia: "I'll call him tonight and say we're waiting!

    "I have a great deal of affection for him, I saw he scored 29 goals in 30 MLS games.

    "Tomorrow, after I've called him, I'll let you know how it went!"

    Ibrahimovic and the Galaxy are in action in the MLS play-offs on Sunday.

    The Galaxy will meet Minnesota United for a spot in the Western Conference semi-finals against Supporters' Shield champions Los Angeles FC.

    Ibrahimovic netted 30 goals during the regular season, four adrift of top scorer and LAFC captain Carlos Vela.

    Ex-Manchester United star Ibrahimovic is out of contract at the end of the season and the veteran has been linked with a return to Italy, as well as Argentine giants Boca Juniors – where Roma great Daniele De Rossi is based.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.