Klopp wary of UEFA Super Cup opponents Chelsea

By Sports Desk August 13, 2019

Jurgen Klopp questioned Liverpool's favourites tag and warned that his side will have to be at their very best to overcome Chelsea in the UEFA Super Cup.

Last season's Champions League winners take on domestic rivals Chelsea, holders of the Europa League, in Istanbul on Wednesday with silverware on the line.

Liverpool kicked off their Premier League campaign with a 4-1 win over Norwich City at Anfield, while Chelsea suffered a 4-0 loss to Manchester United in Frank Lampard's first game in charge.

Despite the contrasting opening weekend results, Klopp is expecting a tough test against Lampard's men.

"They have a clear way of playing," he told Liverpool's official website. "It's a football-playing side, it’s flexible, they have different formations and stuff like this and I like what I saw to be honest, but yes, they lost 4-0 – that's then a really hard lesson. 

"United was pretty clinical and that's how football can be, but of course we don't have lesser respect because they lost 4-0 against Man United. No, it's the other way around – especially in the first 60 minutes they were just really good. 

"They are a good football team and we use three games and try to make the right conclusion of that and do the right things in the game.

"Everybody will be ready for their first title. They will be 100 per cent ready and we have to be, too. But we have to ignore what everybody says about us before the game."

Liverpool had a disrupted pre-season due to a number of key players being granted extra leave for international commitments, with Senegal forward Sadio Mane only linking up with the squad last week.

But Klopp is happy with his side's fitness levels after brushing aside Norwich last Friday, five days on from losing on penalties to Manchester City in the Community Shield following a 1-1 draw after 90 minutes.

Speaking at Tuesday's pre-match media conference, the German coach said: "It was a difficult pre-season, so you never know how we will play in the first game. But I was really happy with the performance against City. 

"The important thing was the second half – it was a sign that we are nearly ready. Physically we are there now, we are where we want to be. We're not 100 per cent but all the clubs are the same. 

"Tomorrow night, everything is different. We have to prepare for a final, make a few decisions about the line-ups. It can be unpredictable for the opponent because we don't know how they play."

Victory for Liverpool over Tottenham in June's Champions League final softened the blow of missing out on a first Premier League title.

The Reds finished one point below Manchester City and have been tipped to challenge at the top again this time around, but Klopp was unwilling to prioritise one competition over the other.

"Unfortunately, I'm not good enough to decide that," he said. "I have to take what I can get. 

"Last year we won the Champions League and didn't win the Premier League. We only try to win the next football game, and that's tomorrow night.

"I'm not a genius, so I take what I can get, but I cannot decide."

Related items

  • Werner extends RB Leipzig contract to 2023 Werner extends RB Leipzig contract to 2023

    Timo Werner has signed a new contract until 2023 with RB Leipzig, preventing him leaving on a free transfer next year.

    Werner, 23, has been strongly linked with a move to Bayern Munich in recent months, as the Bundesliga champions look to refresh their squad with younger talent.

    But the Germany international looks set to remain at Leipzig for the time being, with the contract extension putting the club in a much stronger negotiating position for any future transfer.

    Managing director Oliver Mintzlaff said: "We are glad that the negotiations with Timo Werner have now come to a positive conclusion and he has decided to extend the contract with us.

    "We have had many intensive discussions over a long period of time and have been very attentive to and valued by Timo.

    "We are glad that we now have clarity and are pleased that Timo remains an important part of our team."

    With Bayern reportedly unwilling to meet Leipzig's valuation of €40million, it was claimed the Bavarians planned to wait until his contract expired and lure him away on a free transfer.

    The extension ends that plan, although media reports suggest Werner's new deal does include a release clause of €30m, bringing his price down significantly.

    Either way, Werner insists he is excited to continue developing with Leipzig.

    "I'm glad that I signed with RB Leipzig and thus extended my contract," he said. "Of course, this process has been going on for a very long time, but I really wanted to be completely sure that I could take the next steps in the development of this club.

    "And for the right decisions you just need a little longer. Now I can fully concentrate on playing as successful a season as possible with our team."

  • BREAKING NEWS: Werner extends RB Leipzig contract to 2023 BREAKING NEWS: Werner extends RB Leipzig contract to 2023
    Timo Werner has signed a new contract until 2023 with RB Leipzig, preventing him leaving on a free transfer next year.
  • Man City without injured Jesus for Silva's 400th appearance Man City without injured Jesus for Silva's 400th appearance

    Manchester City are without Gabriel Jesus for Sunday's Premier League clash with Bournemouth due to the Brazil forward suffering a hamstring injury.

    Jesus appeared as a substitute in City's 2-2 draw with Spurs last time out, scoring what he thought was the winner before the goal was disallowed for handball.

    It had been suggested he might be in line to take the place of Sergio Aguero in the starting XI after Pep Guardiola engaged in a touchline squabble with the Argentina striker after his substitution against Spurs.

    But Guardiola has little choice but to keep Aguero – who scored last week – in the side after Jesus injured his hamstring in training.

    The injury is not thought to be serious, with City expecting him back after the international break.

    However, that does mean they anticipate him being unavailable to face Brighton and Hove Albion next Saturday.

    David Silva is set to make his 400th appearance for the club away to Bournemouth, starting in midfield alongside Ilkay Gundogan and Kevin De Bruyne.

    Fernandinho and Rodri will start on the bench, with City seemingly not anticipating a huge amount of defensive work.

    Joao Cancelo continues to wait for his Premier League debut after joining from Juventus.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.