Joao Felix has pressure to deliver at Atletico Madrid – Mourinho

By Sports Desk August 12, 2019

Jose Mourinho believes Joao Felix's huge price tag means he must produce the goods at Atletico Madrid despite his tender years.

The 19-year-old forward joined Diego Simeone's Atletico from Benfica in a €126million move last month and has turned in some dazzling pre-season displays.

As such, his famed Portuguese compatriot Mourinho believes there will be a demand for instant results.

"He has a challenge due to the extent of his talent and because of the investment the club have made on him," Mourinho told the Portuguese Football Federation's (FPF) television channel, Canal 11.

"I believe that he can't escape this responsibility. It doesn't matter if he's 18, 20 or 25.

"What matters is his talent and the responsibility he has."

That responsibility extends to spearheading a challenge for the top honours in Spain and Europe, according to Mourinho.

Despite losing Lucas Hernandez, Rodri, Diego Godin and Antoine Griezmann - the France star's long-anticipated move to Barcelona eventually coming to fruition – Atletico have reinforced impressively.

Kieran Trippier, Marcos Llorente and Hector Herrera are among those to have bolstered Simeone's squad and Mourinho feels they must now look to match Spain's heavyweight duo.

"Atletico Madrid's level of investment leaves them with responsibility to fight for the Champions League and LaLiga," he said.

"It's clear that Barcelona and Real Madrid have to be there because of their power, financial capability, culture and quality.

"Atletico in recent years have been without this responsibility, but the level of investment they've made is incredible.

"It's time to say, 'We're here, we're big, we want to be big and we are here to win'." 

Atletico begin their LaLiga campaign at home to Getafe on Sunday.

Related items

  • Juventus defender De Sciglio eyes Premier League challenge in Champions League last 16 Juventus defender De Sciglio eyes Premier League challenge in Champions League last 16

    Mattia De Sciglio hopes Juventus draw an English club in the Champions League last 16 after getting a taste of the Premier League two seasons ago.

    Juve battled to a 4-3 aggregate victory over Tottenham in the first knockout round in 2017-18 after settling for a 2-2 draw in the opening encounter in Turin.

    The Serie A champions eventually lost out to Real Madrid in the quarter-finals and had their hopes dashed by Ajax at the same stage last term.

    Maurizio Sarri's men will expect to go further after topping Group D and defender De Sciglio said he now wants to face either of their two possible English opponents, Spurs or Chelsea.

    "If you want to get to the end of the competition, sooner or later you have to meet all the strongest opponents," the Italy international told Sky Sport Italia.

    "Personally I'd like to play against an English team, like we did two years ago, because it's nice to play against them."

    The draw for the last 16 takes place in Nyon on Monday.

    Before then, Juve must negotiate Sunday's Serie A home game against struggling Udinese.

    The Bianconeri, 2-0 winners at Bayer Leverkusen in midweek, drew with Sassuolo and lost to Lazio in the two fixtures that followed their previous European engagements.

    "It's true that we have had some difficulties after Champions League matches, but so far we have lost only once in the league and we are right there, attached to Inter," De Sciglio said.

    "Udinese will be another tough game. There are no easy games in Serie A. But if we play like Juve, we will take the three points."

    Juve sit two points behind leaders Inter, who visit Fiorentina on Sunday.

  • Rumour Has It: Arsenal seek Nuno talks and keep Martinez in mind Rumour Has It: Arsenal seek Nuno talks and keep Martinez in mind

    Arsenal appear to have strengthened their interest in Nuno Espirito Santo.

    Just over two weeks after dismissing Unai Emery, the Gunners are reportedly ready to hold talks with one of the top contenders to take over at Emirates Stadium.

    But the Portuguese is not alone when it comes to candidates with Premier League experience.

     

    TOP STORY – GUNNERS STEP UP NUNO CHASE

    Arsenal will ask Wolves for permission to conduct formal discussions with Nuno next week, according to the Daily Mail.

    The north Londoners are reportedly ready to "set to accelerate their interest" in the 45-year-old former Valencia and Porto head coach.

    Belgium boss Robert Martinez is also said to have been approached, while Mauricio Pochettino, Mikel Arteta and Patrick Vieira continue to be linked.

    Freddie Ljungberg has overseen two draws, a defeat and a solitary victory since taking charge on an interim basis.

    ROUND-UP

    - Like his former employers, ex-Arsenal boss Emery will not be rushed into a decision on his next move. Marca says the Spaniard has turned down the chance to speak to two Chinese clubs and managerless Everton since becoming a free agent on November 29.

    - Premier League champions Manchester City hope to bring wantaway winger Jadon Sancho back to the Etihad Stadium after losing him to Borussia Dortmund in 2017, reports the Daily Mail.

    - On the outer at Chelsea, Olivier Giroud appears to be moving closer to the Stamford Bridge exit door. L'Equipe claims the France striker is close to agreeing personal terms on a January switch to Inter, where he would reunite with Antonio Conte.

    - Serie A side Milan will be offered the chance to sign Luka Jovic on loan from Real Madrid in January, according to Tuttomercatoweb.

    - Barcelona will listen to offers of €10million for teenage defender Jean-Clair Todibo, reports Mundo Deportivo. The Spanish newspaper claims Bayer Leverkusen, Milan, Monaco, Southampton and Watford have submitted bids.

    - Real Betis have sealed a deal to sign former Atletico Madrid winger Yannick Carrasco from Chinese Super League side Dalian Yifang, according to Deportes Cuatro.

  • Mourinho praises Eriksen, won't discuss midfielder's future Mourinho praises Eriksen, won't discuss midfielder's future

    Tottenham head coach Jose Mourinho praised Christian Eriksen's performances, but refused to discuss the midfielder's future.

    Eriksen's future has been widely spoken about with the Denmark international coming out of contract at the end of the season.

    However, Mourinho is more concerned with the 27-year-old's performances and said he was pleased with Eriksen, who has made just one start since the Portuguese tactician's arrival.

    "I only know his contract ends at the end of the season and the conversations I have had with Christian are private conversations that I am not going to share," Mourinho told UK newspapers.

    "He was so honest with me and I was so on honest with him – our relationship is really, really good. We have a very good relationship that started on day one. I am not going to betray that trust and relationship.

    "I just share this intimate conversation with the structure of the club and Christian obviously knows I am an important part of the club and my job is to share with the structure but to you, it is not for me to say. It is up to Christian to tell anything he wants to or not.

    "Every time I play him, I think he shows clearly the quality he has and he tries to help the team when he's on the pitch which is an important thing for me, independent of his future."

    Eriksen has previously been linked with a move to Real Madrid, while Manchester United are also reportedly interested.

    But, asked if Eriksen would leave in January, Mourinho said: "I cannot answer that. I don't know."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.