Eintracht 'still optimistic' about keeping Rebic

By Sports Desk August 11, 2019

Eintracht Frankfurt sporting director Bruno Hubner said the Bundesliga side are "still optimistic" about keeping star Ante Rebic.

Rebic has been heavily linked to Serie A side Inter, while neighbours AC Milan have also emerged as a possible destination for the Croatia international forward.

Eintracht – who reached the Europa League semi-finals last season – have already lost star duo Luka Jovic (Real Madrid) and Sebastien Haller (West Ham) during the transfer window.

However, after Rebic's hat-trick in Eintracht's 5-3 win over Waldhof Mannheim in the first round of the DFB-Pokal, Hubner said: "We are still optimistic."

Rebic was the hero away to the 3.Liga side on Sunday, scoring three goals in 12 minutes as Eintracht came from behind to win.

Mannheim led 2-0 after 11 minutes and 3-2 with 18 minutes remaining before Rebic's three-goal haul.

Asked about Rebic, Eintracht head coach Adi Hutter replied: "It's always an individual situation for each player.

"If someone has the opportunity to go to a top club, it will be difficult to keep him at the club."

Rebic has flourished since arriving from Fiorentina on an initial loan deal in 2016, scoring 17 Bundesliga goals and 25 in all competitions.

Related items

  • Waterhouse takes crack at reigning champs Herediano Waterhouse takes crack at reigning champs Herediano

    Waterhouse of Jamaica will be the first team to take a crack at reigning Scotiabank Concacaf League champion CS Herediano of Costa Rica when the two sides meet in the first leg of their 2019 SCL Round of 16 series on Thursday night at the National Stadium in Kingston, Jamaica.

    The Caribbean club is making its maiden voyage in the SCL and will be relying on Andre Fletcher and Keithy Simpson to handle the goalscoring duties.

    Both Fletcher and Simpson tallied two goals in Waterhouse’s second place finish at the 2019 Flow Concacaf Caribbean Club Championship.

    The SCL is familiar territory for Herediano, who took home the crown in the 2018 edition by showcasing a dazzling brand of attacking football, combined with solid defensive play.

    The hot boot at present for the Ticos belongs to Francisco Rodriguez, who has three goals in his last two Costa Rican Apertura 2019 matches. Another threat is Jose Guillermo Ortiz, who has two goals this season and scored in last year’s SCL.

  • Ribery hopes to play to 40 but won't be Ronaldo rival Ribery hopes to play to 40 but won't be Ronaldo rival

    Franck Ribery hopes to play on beyond the age of 40 after joining Fiorentina but says he does not intend to be a rival to Cristiano Ronaldo.

    Ribery's 12-year stay at Bayern Munich concluded when his contract expired at the end of the 2018-19 season, in which he won a ninth Bundesliga title.

    Following prolonged speculation about his next move, the former France winger agreed a two-year deal with La Viola.

    And Ribery, who plans to follow in the footsteps of Serie A veterans such as Francesco Totti, is aiming to lead Fiorentina back into the Champions League.

    "We have had a very long negotiation, but I am very happy to be here in Florence," said the 36-year-old.

    "I saw great motivation and great confidence in me from the management, and that is why I am here. Naturally, my wife also helped in the choice, because my family is very important.

    "I am very motivated, I always want to play. I have a two-year contract and I want to be decisive and help the young players. I want to give something new to this club, I want to bring Fiorentina into the top three of the table.

    "I came here to help my team, which is Fiorentina. I am not here to be a rival to Ronaldo. Serie A is a great tournament with many excellent players. Inter bought well on the market, as did Juventus.

    "The thing I appreciate the most is that people here love and live for football. It's a wonderful experience and I want to enjoy myself on the field.

    "Football is my life. It's the reason I wanted to remain in Europe and I was fortunate to find Fiorentina. I hope to continue playing until the age of 40, just like Francesco Totti."

    Fiorentina open the new Serie A season at home to Napoli on Saturday but Ribery is not expecting to be involved.

    "I am not ready to start, but I am happy that I got to train with the squad today, which is very different to training by yourself," he added. 

    "I need a week or two to be ready to play, but if the coach [Vincenzo Montella] tells me that I'm needed, I will step up."

  • Serie A 2019-20: The five best signings ahead of the new season Serie A 2019-20: The five best signings ahead of the new season

    It's been all change in Serie A ahead of the 2019-20 season, with five of last season's top six changing their head coach.

    As such, an action-packed close season in the transfer market followed.

    Champions Juventus have done big business, but could any of the chasing pack - including Antonio Conte's Inter - catch them after a busy window?

    Although Italian clubs can buy until September 2, we take a look at five of the best signings in Serie A before the action gets underway.

     

    5. Aaron Ramsey (Juventus)

    Juventus are the masters of the free transfer and nothing changed this year, with two huge midfield signings arriving without a fee. Adrien Rabiot is a massive talent who will improve Maurizio Sarri's options, but Ramsey may well prove the real star.

    In an Arsenal team where big wages and large fees were spent on the likes of Mesut Ozil, Ramsey was perhaps their most consistent performer, playing a key role in their FA Cup successes.

    The Gunners will likely rue the expiration of Ramsey's contract and the Welshman already looks like he will settle quickly in Turin, after giving an introductory statement to the media in Italian.

    4. Radja Nainggolan (Cagliari)

    Nainggolan was one of Europe's dominant midfielders just a couple of years ago, so it seems incredible that he is on loan at Cagliari at the age of 31.

    But after falling out of favour with Belgium coach Roberto Martinez, Nainggolan had a stop-start first season at Inter - although his form picked up towards the end of the campaign - and Conte has seemingly decided he does not need the former Roma man.

    All of this works out wonderfully for Cagliari, though, who had Nainggolan for four years earlier in his career and will welcome him back with open arms. His midfield alliance with Nahitan Nandez, an exciting acquisition from Boca Juniors, will be a must watch.

    3. Diego Godin (Inter)

    Godin has perhaps been Europe's best centre-back in recent seasons and so, even at 33, his expiring Atletico Madrid contract would have made him a target for many top sides.

    But this move to Inter was long mooted and he should form a formidable three-man defence alongside Stefan de Vrij and Milan Skriniar.

    If Conte's reign at the Nerazzurri is to be a success, they will need to deliver at both ends of the field. It is on Romelu Lukaku's shoulders to provide the goals, while Godin will surely perform at the back, even if he endured a rocky campaign last time out.

    2. Kostas Manolas (Napoli)

    This list might be dominated by centre-backs and Serie A, to many the home of defending, will see some of the very best in action again next season. Manolas is certainly among them.

    The Greece international might be best remembered for his Champions League goalscoring exploits at Roma, but he was a consistent star in defence over five seasons in the capital.

    Quick and strong enough to mix it with Serie A's very best attackers, Manolas will leave a big hole in the Roma back line and instantly find a home at Napoli alongside Kalidou Koulibaly.

    1. Matthijs de Ligt (Juventus)

    It is an obvious answer, but every club on the planet would have loved to have brought in former Ajax captain De Ligt.

    He was inspirational both on and off the pitch for the Dutch giants last season, as well as starring for Netherlands. Brilliant at the back and a threat in attack, De Ligt is still just 20, too, and will only get better.

    That he cost a relatively reasonable €75million, considering the reported £80million spent on Harry Maguire, is merely a bonus. Juve should be set for years to come.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.