Pochettino calls Premier League transfer window policy a 'big mistake' amid Eriksen exit rumours

By Sports Desk August 09, 2019

Tottenham manager Mauricio Pochettino fears the early end to the transfer window in England could create a "mess" for Premier League clubs.

Tottenham squeezed Ryan Sessegnon and Giovani Lo Celso through the door on deadline day and kept hold of Danny Rose after reportedly rejecting an offer from Watford.

Pochettino confirmed left-back Rose remains a "very important part" of his plans but did not delve into Christian Eriksen's situation.

Linked to both Madrid clubs, the creative midfielder could still leave for LaLiga as the transfer window in Spain does not shut until September 2, consistent with France, Italy and Germany.

"It is not right to talk about personal situations. It is all rumours. We cannot waste time talking about every single rumour," Pochettino told reporters when asked about Eriksen.

"The players who are here, I am more than happy to have.

"Of course, we are at this point where European clubs have 20 days more and I think that was a big mistake.

"We open the door to other clubs to cause a confusion within your squad. I think we need to go back and change to operate in the same way [as the rest of Europe].

"The Premier League cannot give this advantage to the European clubs. It can create a mess in clubs in England."

One of the clubs said to be interested in Eriksen, Atletico Madrid, took Kieran Trippier away from Spurs last month.

That deal and the loss of Juan Foyth to an ankle injury until September leaves Pochettino with a decision to make at right-back, not that the manager is concerned.

"We can create players who can play in different positions," he said. "We try to find the best solution and I love the challenge to try and create that dynamic."

Tottenham begin their Premier League campaign at home to Aston Villa on Saturday.

Related items

  • Southampton goalkeeper Forster returns to Celtic on loan Southampton goalkeeper Forster returns to Celtic on loan

    Celtic have signed their former goalkeeper Fraser Forster on loan from Southampton.

    Forster played for the Glasgow giants between 2011 and 2014, initially on loan from Newcastle United, before leaving for the Saints.

    The 31-year-old initially thrived at St. Mary's but lost the gloves during the 2018-19 campaign.

    With Angus Gunn now installed as Southampton's number one, Forster has been allowed to rejoin Celtic on a season-long loan.

    The goalkeeper, who has six England caps, will wear the number 67 during his time back at Celtic Park.

    "I'm absolutely delighted to be here, it feels like I'm coming home and I'm buzzing to be back at this great club," Forster told Celtic's official website.

    "Obviously, I know what the number 67 means to this great club. It’s an honour to wear the shirt and an even bigger honour to wear this number.

    "I loved my time here before and I felt like it was the right number for me, I'm really proud to wear it, and I want to do my absolute best for this club.

    "The gaffer [Neil Lennon] has always been brilliant with me, and when the opportunity came up to come back and work with him again, it was one that was too good to turn down."

  • Oxlade-Chamberlain: It's like Champions League triumph didn't happen for Liverpool Oxlade-Chamberlain: It's like Champions League triumph didn't happen for Liverpool

    Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain says it is like Liverpool's Champions League success did not happen as the team are so hungry for more trophies.

    Jurgen Klopp's side triumphed against Premier League rivals Tottenham to be crowned kings of Europe for the sixth time in the club's glittering history.

    Oxlade-Chamberlain missed the vast majority of the 2018-19 season due to a serious knee injury but he signed a new long-term deal, reported to run to 2023, on Thursday.

    The England midfielder feels the desire for further silverware is fuelling Liverpool, who have won their opening two Premier League fixtures as well as clinching UEFA Super Cup glory against Chelsea.

    "I think it is obvious to see the team is progressing. Even when we're not playing well, we still manage to grind out results and that's a really positive thing," Oxlade-Chamberlain told Liverpool's official website.

    "In times when we are playing well, it sort of speaks for itself, we thrive and we have the ability to steamroll teams. From the outside, it would look like a really good time to sign – and I can speak even more from the inside about how good the group of lads is.

    "It is a really, really good group of players, not only talent but characters and how much everyone respects each other. The manager and the coaches, the backroom staff, they're all a massive part of it. The whole set-up, the structure, is perfect at the moment.

    "Last year was the first sign of that going in the right direction with the Champions League. Now, in a weird way, it is almost like it didn't happen, but I think that's credit to everyone around the building – everyone is hungry for the next thing and what's next.

    "That's the right attitude to have to go on and be more successful and go on to win more things. That's the plan, hopefully we can follow it through and win some more things."

    Reds boss Jurgen Klopp is similarly thrilled to have Oxlade-Chamberlain commit his future to Anfield.

    "When I heard Ox had signed his new contract with us, I am sure my emotions were the same as every Liverpool fan hearing the news tonight – absolutely delighted," Klopp said.

    "This is because an absolutely outstanding player and person has shown his belief and commitment to our project here and it's a deal I think makes sense on both sides.

    "I think Ox has said himself it feels to him like he has been here a lot longer than he actually has and that is something I would agree with. I think that's down to his personality around the place here at Melwood.

    "I have said in the past, one of the best things about him is what an outstanding human being he is, one of the nicest guys you will meet. Of course, he is also an outstandingly talented footballer, too."

  • Martial and Rashford driving each other on for Man United Martial and Rashford driving each other on for Man United

    Anthony Martial believes his training ground scoring competitions with Marcus Rashford are helping to give Manchester United an extra edge this season.

    Romelu Lukaku's departure to Inter has placed an extra onus upon Rashford and Martial, who have two goals apiece in the Premier League after United's opening games against Chelsea and Wolves.

    Martial has regained the club's number nine shirt and is revelling as Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's attacking spearhead, with Rashford operating to the left of the France international and linking pleasingly.

    "At training, we have this competition between us about scoring goals," Martial told Sky Sports. "We measure who does the best finishing and who scores the most.

    "Who's winning? Well, that depends... Sometimes it's him, sometimes it's me. In games, Marcus likes to play in the middle, like me. I don't mind dropping off, dropping out, we interchange during games.

    "It doesn't bother me to let him take the lead occasionally. It helps us to terrorise opposition defences and I hope we can keep it up over the course of the season."

    Martial joined the ranks of players expressing solidarity with Paul Pogba, after his countryman was subjected to online racist abuse in the aftermath of his penalty miss in the 1-1 draw at Molineux.

    "It's something you can't really eradicate from society," he said. "Out there on the pitch, we can't do anything about it per se.

    "As players, we are there among white people, black people, people of all colours.

    "The French expression is 'we're all the same'. Bans should be brought about for people who give out this hatred.

    "People go to football stadiums to have a good time and enjoy the game, and there's no place for it. I'm in favour of the love, not the hate."

    United are set to meet representatives from Twitter over the coming weeks to discuss possible solutions with regards to players being abused on the social media site.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.