Gundogan signs four-year Man City contract extension

By Sports Desk August 09, 2019

Ilkay Gundogan has ended speculation over his future by signing a new four-year deal with Manchester City.

The midfielder has recommitted until 2023 in a boost to the Premier League champions a day out from their season opener away to West Ham.

There were fears Germany international Gundogan would leave on a free in 2020 after entering the final 12 months of his previous contract.

Talks over an extension broke down during the second half of last season but Gundogan expressed a willingness to reopen negotiations at the end of City's treble-winning campaign and an agreement has now been reached.

"I have hugely enjoyed the last three years here at City and everyone at the club has helped make me feel at home from my very first day," Gundogan told his club's website.

"It's a privilege to be a part of this team, playing the style of football we do and winning trophies. It's very difficult to do that and I'm delighted to be a part of it.

"I'm really excited about what we can go on to achieve in the next few seasons."

Gundogan joins full-back Kyle Walker in recently agreeing fresh terms at the Etihad Stadium.

The former Nurnberg and Borussia Dortmund player became Pep Guardiola's first signing for City when he arrived in 2016, although a cruciate knee ligament injury curtailed his debut season before the turn of the year.

He has since won two Premier League titles, two EFL Cups and an FA Cup but was linked to Real Madrid and Inter towards the end of last term.

City director of football Txiki Begiristain hailed Gundogan's new contract as an "excellent" development for City.

"He has shown how important he is to the team and has played a huge part in everything that we have achieved so far," Begiristain said.

"We are thrilled he has committed his long-term future to Manchester City."

Related items

  • We're still in a backward society - Fred hits out after allegedly being racially abused and struck by lighter We're still in a backward society - Fred hits out after allegedly being racially abused and struck by lighter

    Fred hit out at the "backward society" we live in after the Manchester United midfielder was allegedly racially abused and struck by a lighter in his team's 2-1 derby win over Manchester City.

    A City supporter appeared to make racial gestures in the direction of Fred and team-mate Jesse Lingard in Saturday's Premier League showdown at the Etihad Stadium.

    The incident happened when Fred went to take a corner in the second half, with a series of objects also being hurled towards the Brazil international.

    City released a statement to say they are working closely with Greater Manchester Police and have vowed to ban for life any supporter found guilty of racism.

    Former Shakhtar Donetsk midfielder Fred confirmed he was hit by one missile and is eager for the matter to be dealt with but does not want to give attention to the perpetrators.

    "Unfortunately we are still in a backward society," he told ESPN Brazil. "[It's a shame] we still have to live with that in 2019. 

    "On the field I didn't see anything; I only saw it in the locker room afterwards.

    "The guys showed me. [Someone] even threw a lighter and it hit me. I try not to care about that. I try to look ahead.

    "Unfortunately, this is happening in some stadiums. It happened here, it happened in Ukraine with some friends. It's sad, but we have to keep our heads up and forget about that.

    "We can't give them any attention because that's all they want. I spoke to the referee after the match, they will do something about it and that's all.

    "We are all the same regardless of skin colour, hair and gender. We came from the same place and we all go to the same place when it's all said and done."

    Fred was hailed by United manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer for his star performance against City, and the 26-year-old is grateful for the support he has received.

    "Thank God I have a lot of friends here in the locker room who hugged me, like Lingard," he added.

    "I don't want to think about [what happened]. I just want to move on."

  • Guardiola: It is 'not possible to control' pace of Man Utd trio James, Martial & Rashford Guardiola: It is 'not possible to control' pace of Man Utd trio James, Martial & Rashford

    Pep Guardiola conceded Manchester City could not live with the pace of Manchester United's attacking players in Saturday's 2-1 derby defeat.

    Visitors United constantly exposed their opponents on the counter at the Etihad Stadium, helping them move into a two-goal lead inside the opening half-hour.

    Marcus Rashford won and then converted a penalty before Anthony Martial fired in a second after being picked out by Daniel James.

    Guardiola talked up United's counter-attacking threat on the eve of the match, but the City head coach has admitted his side ultimately had no answer to the trio.

    "I like how my team played," he said at his post-match news conference. "We conceded a little bit more space - not more than usual, but more than last year against United.

    "We knew about the pace they have, with James, Martial and Rashford, but sometimes it is not possible to control it."

    Nicolas Otamendi pulled a goal back for City five minutes from the end, but there was to be no comeback for the reigning champions as their title hopes were dealt another blow.

    "In general, we did what we like," Guardiola added. "We arrived in the final third many, many, many, many times. 

    "Unfortunately, we couldn't finish a little bit more, but I like to watch my team. I know nobody agrees but I like it."

    Third-place City are now 14 points adrift of leaders Liverpool, who beat Bournemouth 3-0 earlier on Saturday, and travel to Arsenal for their next league outing.

    The home loss means Guardiola has the lowest points tally after 16 games of a season in his senior coaching career, but he is not surprised by the drop-off in form since last term.

    "Sometimes it happens," he added. "Sometimes you don't win and the others are better and you lose. Normal is not winning the league always, sometimes you lose.

    "It is important not to give up and try to do what we do as a team. All the games we play a season we play the game I want my team to play. 

    "After that, the counter-attacks, the final third, when we struggle in some departments okay, it's part of the process. Maybe next season we will be better."

  • Sarri disagrees with Cuadrado red card in first Juventus loss Sarri disagrees with Cuadrado red card in first Juventus loss

    Juan Cuadrado was wrongly sent off as Juventus lost 3-1 away to Lazio in Serie A on Saturday, according to Maurizio Sarri.

    The Bianconeri coach saw his side lose for the first time since his arrival despite Cristiano Ronaldo's goal putting the champions in front at the Stadio Olimpico.

    Luiz Felipe headed Lazio's equaliser before the turning point of the match, Cuadrado seeing red after bringing down Manuel Lazzari as he ran through on goal.

    Referee Michael Fabbri initially opted to book Cuadrado but then changed the yellow card to red after consulting pitchside monitors, and Lazio made the most of their man advantage.

    Sergej Milinkovic-Savic brilliantly scored from Luis Alberto's lofted pass, and Felipe Caicedo struck deep in added time to secure Lazio's first home league win over Juve since 2003.

    "We didn't respect our duties, because players were in the wrong position," Sarri told DAZN of the incident leading to Cuadrado's dismissal. "It was a distraction and you pay for that.

    "We had decided before the game on certain positions and we didn't cover them.

    "I do not entirely agree that it was a clear scoring opportunity, as the ball was going wide. I thought a yellow card was the right ruling, but the fact remains that is out of our control and we made a mistake to create the situation."

    Sarri, who said Rodrigo Bentancur needs tests on a ligament injury, felt there were positives to take from Juve's performance despite a second straight league game without a win.

    "In the second half, when the game seemed to be in a more balanced state, the red card changed everything," he said. "We lost the match, but, to be honest, I saw improvements in my team."

    Lazio have won seven games in a row in Serie A and are only five points behind leaders Inter, prompting suggestions they could be in the title race.

    They last won the league 20 years ago, and coach Simone Inzaghi feels topping the table may be a realistic target for his impressive side.

    "We are in a great period of form," he told DAZN. "We should be ambitious, knowing also that six weeks ago people said we weren't getting results but I remained calm.

    "The club was always close to me, even when we lost, reassuring me there were no problems.

    "I also have a squad that is always at the disposal of my staff and I. Now we enjoy this victory, which we hadn't managed for 16 years here, a game I remember, because I was on the bench.

    "We enjoy it for a few hours, but from Thursday we must get right back on track and aim to stay in the Europa League. We played well, created many chances and could have scored more goals, so I praise these lads for something extraordinary."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.