David Luiz completes stunning £8m Arsenal move

By Sports Desk August 08, 2019

David Luiz has completed a sensational deadline-day move from Chelsea to London rivals Arsenal.

The 32-year-old Brazilian centre-back has signed what is believed to be a two-year deal at Emirates Stadium, helping to plug the gap left by captain Laurent Koscielny's departure to Bordeaux.

Omnisport understands the transfer is worth around £8million, bringing an end to David Luiz's second spell at Chelsea after a two-year stint at Paris Saint-Germain where he worked with Unai Emery.

"David has huge experience and I look forward to working with him again. He is a well-known player and adds to our defensive strength," said head coach Emery.

David Luiz first joined Chelsea from Benfica in 2011, before departing for Paris three years later. He returned to west London in 2016 and won the Premier League title in his first season back at the club.

The defender was a regular under Maurizio Sarri last term and it appeared he would again play a key role under new boss Frank Lampard.

However, reports emerged on Wednesday that David Luiz was keen on a move to Arsenal and he could now make his debut away at Newcastle United in the Gunners' Premier League opener on Sunday.

Chelsea released Gary Cahill at the end of last season and cannot replace either their former skipper or David Luiz due to a transfer ban, although Kurt Zouma and Fikayo Tomori have returned from loan spells and Antonio Rudiger is nearing a return to fitness.

Related items

  • Cavani move ruled out by Boca president Cavani move ruled out by Boca president

    Boca Juniors will not be signing Edinson Cavani when his Paris Saint-Germain contract expires because the Superliga champions feel he is out of their reach financially, according to the club's president.

    Cavani's seven-year stay with PSG looks set to be coming to an end, with the 33-year-old striker's deal in Paris due to expire in June.

    The Uruguay international has enjoyed a wonderful spell at the Parc des Princes, winning 18 domestic trophies and becoming the club's all-time leading goalscorer, surpassing Zlatan Ibrahimovic.

    But the writing was on the wall for Cavani when PSG signed Mauro Icardi from Inter on an initial loan last year – the former Napoli star subsequently falling out of favour, with Kylian Mbappe and Neymar also ahead of him in the pecking order.

    Boca emerged as a potential next destination after club adviser Jorge Bermudez hinted at their interest and the player's apparent desire to represent the Xeneizes, but president Jorge Amor Ameal has since discounted their chances.

    "We are proud that a player like Cavani says he wants to wear our shirt, but our economic reality doesn't match with his," Ameal is quoted as saying to Radio Splendid by EFE.

    "Of course, no one is going to argue that Cavani isn't a great player, but we have to think more about our existing players and believe in them."

    Cavani had been strongly linked with a move to Atletico Madrid in January, but a transfer failed to materialise.

  • Eddie Jones extends deal to coach England at 2023 Rugby World Cup Eddie Jones extends deal to coach England at 2023 Rugby World Cup

    England coach Eddie Jones has signed a contract extension through until the end of the 2023 Rugby World Cup.

    Jones, 60, took the helm of England in late 2015 and has been rewarded for what has been a successful stint in charge.

    The Australian has overseen 42 wins in 54 Tests as England coach, including leading them to last year's Rugby World Cup final, where they were beaten by South Africa.

    Jones has re-signed through until the end of the Rugby World Cup in 2023, which is due to be hosted by France.

    "The extension is a great honour for me, but in the current environment, it is only right to acknowledge what a difficult time the world is facing," the England coach said.

    "We are all looking forward to a time when we can get back to playing rugby and use the sport as a force for good in bringing people back together.

    "I never thought coming here four years ago I would be doing a second four years, but the circumstances are right.

    "Obviously it is important for the team that we keep improving and my focus will be solely on that."

    Jones' 78 per cent win ratio is the best of any England coach in the nation's history.

    During his tenure, Jones has led England to two Six Nations titles - including a Grand Slam in 2016 - a 3-0 series victory in Australia and an 18-match unbeaten run.

    Jones added: "I am excited about raising the standards again. We have a great team. We set out four years ago to be the best team in the world and unfortunately we missed that by 80 minutes.

    "Now we want to be the team that is remembered as being the greatest team the game has ever seen. It's a big ambition but I believe we are capable of doing it.

    "We have players with an enhanced reputation, we have a team that is expected to do well, so it's a great opportunity for us to keep moving forward."

  • Rumour Has It: Barcelona to offer Griezmann to PSG in Neymar deal Rumour Has It: Barcelona to offer Griezmann to PSG in Neymar deal

    Barcelona are prepared to use Antoine Griezmann in a deal to land Neymar from Paris Saint-Germain.

    Neymar, 28, has constantly been linked with a return to Camp Nou, but ended up staying at PSG during the last close season.

    It seems Barcelona will pursue the Brazil international again and they may be prepared to offer Griezmann in a deal.

     

    TOP STORY – BARCELONA TO OFFER GRIEZMANN TO PSG IN NEYMAR DEAL

    Despite it proving such an ordeal to sign Griezmann in the first place, Barca will try to use him as a makeweight in a deal to land Neymar, according to Sky Sports.

    The report says the Spanish giants are prepared to let Griezmann go just one season after signing him from Atletico Madrid, as they reportedly also target Inter forward Lautaro Martinez.

    Barca will try to sell the forward elsewhere if PSG are not interested, the story claims, with the Frenchman underwhelming since his switch to Camp Nou.

    ROUND-UP

    - Liverpool are apparently preparing for a battle with Germany. The Mirror reports Germany see Jurgen Klopp – contracted at Anfield until 2024 – as a successor to coach Joachim Low.

    Manchester United remain interested in Erling Haaland. ESPN claims the Premier League club are again ready to compete for the forward's services with Real Madrid if the Norway international decides to leave Borussia Dortmund.

    - Will Gareth Bale remain at Real Madrid? The Mirror suggests the Wales international is ready to fight for his place at the Santiago Bernabeu despite his differences with coach Zinedine Zidane.

    Saul Niguez is apparently wanted in the Premier League. AS says Man United are willing to pay around £71million (€80m) for the Atletico midfielder, who has a release clause of £132.5m (€150m).

    Barcelona may be prepared to sell players this close season, but Arthur will not be among them. Sport reports the Spanish champions see the midfielder as a key player. Meanwhile, it is also claimed Gent star Jonathan David has been offered to the Blaugrana.

    Juventus have reportedly secured the futures of two players. Rai Sport understands Blaise Matuidi has extended his contract with Juve until 2021, while Marko Pjaca – who is on loan at Anderlecht – has agreed to a deal until 2023.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.