Galaxy seal Pavon loan ahead of potential record MLS deal

By Sports Desk August 08, 2019

LA Galaxy have confirmed the loan signing of Argentina winger Cristian Pavon from Boca Juniors.

Pavon, who made four appearances at last year's World Cup, completed his switch to the Galaxy before Wednesday's MLS deadline, with the transfer confirmed the following day.

The 23-year-old's temporary deal through to the end of the 2019 season will be covered by targeted allocation money.

The Galaxy then reportedly have the option to extend Pavon's deal for another season, at which point the club would need to free up a Designated Player slot - their three are occupied by Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Jonathan dos Santos and Romain Alessandrini.

LA were forced to cut Giovani dos Santos from their squad this season - he subsequently joined Club America - after Ibrahimovic agreed an improved contract.

It is said the Galaxy could sign Pavon to a permanent deal at the end of the 2020 campaign, with an MLS record $20million fee agreed.

Pavon had been linked with a move to the Premier League with Arsenal earlier this year.

The Galaxy's rivals and runaway Supporters' Shield frontrunners Los Angeles FC boosted their own attack with Brian Rodriguez arriving from Penarol as a Young Designated Player.

LAFC sent United States international Christian Ramirez to Houston Dynamo, while Real Salt Lake signed Kelyn Rowe, and New York Red Bulls brought in Southampton's Josh Sims until the end of the season as a Young Designated Player.

Related items

  • Benteke & Tomkins renew Crystal Palace contracts Benteke & Tomkins renew Crystal Palace contracts

    Christian Benteke and James Tomkins have signed new deals with Crystal Palace, the Premier League club have announced.

    Belgium striker Benteke has scored just one top-flight goal since the start of last season and was due to be out of contract next June.

    The 28-year-old has agreed to stay on for a further 12 months, however, while centre-back Tomkins has extended his deal through to the end of 2021-22.

    Tomkins has played 87 times for the south London side since joining in 2016, but he has not featured since injuring his groin in April.

    Palace confirmed the new deals on their official website on Thursday and chairman Steve Parish added: "I'm pleased that agreements have been reached with these two important senior players. 

    "Both James and Christian bring vast Premier League experience, commitment and professionalism to the squad.  

    "These new deals show that we recognise their levels of performance in recent seasons, that we believe in both players, and that they are hugely motivated by the direction the club is heading."

  • Spanish federation poised to deliver Clasico verdict Spanish federation poised to deliver Clasico verdict

    A decision on whether next week's Clasico between Barcelona and Real Madrid can go ahead at Camp Nou is set to be made on Thursday, Royal Spanish Football Federation (RFEF) president Luis Rubiales said.

    Violent scenes broke out in Barcelona at the start of the week after nine Catalan political leaders received long prison sentences for their roles in the region's 2017 referendum and subsequent declaration of independence.

    A rally in the city has been called by pro-independence politicians for October 26, the day Barca are due to host bitter rivals Madrid.

    Barcelona's main airport was briefly closed on Tuesday due to the tension, with Spanish league officials raising concern the Clasico could be affected by protests.

    One option would be to move the game to Madrid and for Barca to host the second Clasico of the season, but that was opposed by Blaugrana head coach Ernesto Valverde on Thursday.

    There have also been suggestions the match should be postponed and an alternative date in the calendar found. Valverde thinks the game should go ahead as planned.

    Rubiales said Barca and Madrid swiftly submitted their observations on the matter and the RFEF would be seeking to make an early decision.

    "I can assure that we will work to try to have a resolution this evening, because there are people involved, supporters with booked trips, tickets, media, and that is what we have done," Rubiales said.

    "Regarding the government, what I can say is that this is a matter of football, and it is the competition committee which has to decide. So the government hasn't contacted us or asked for one or another thing."

  • Roma coach Fonseca's touchline ban reduced to one match Roma coach Fonseca's touchline ban reduced to one match

    Roma coach Paulo Fonseca has had his Serie A touchline ban reduced from two matches to one.

    Fonseca was handed a two-game ban by the Lega Serie A after continuing to aggressively shout at referee Davide Massa following his dismissal in Roma's 1-1 draw with Cagliari on October 6.

    However, the 46-year-old appealed the decision and will now only miss one game - Sunday's trip to Sampdoria - before returning to the dugout for next week's home meeting with AC Milan.

    Roma, who confirmed the news on their official Twitter page on Thursday, sit fifth in Serie A ahead of their return to action this weekend.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.