Chelsea apologise over 'unchallenged' sex abuse by former club scout Eddie Heath

By Sports Desk August 06, 2019

Chelsea have apologised after young players were exposed to "a dangerous and prolific child abuser" who was able to offend "unchallenged" at the club during the 1970s.

An external review conducted by barrister Charles Geekie QC was published on Tuesday and details shocking grooming and abuse of boys aged 10 to 17 by Chelsea's former chief scout Eddie Heath.

Heath died in December 1983, aged 54, and the report states that, as far as investigators could determine, he "was never investigated for, or charged with any, offences during his lifetime".

Evidence from 23 witnesses paints a grim picture of the historic abuse, and Chelsea's current board said in a statement: "The board wishes to thank all the survivors and witnesses who came forward to assist the reviews and the club apologises unreservedly for the terrible past experiences of some of our former players."

The present-day Chelsea board members and signatories of the statement - Bruce Buck, Marina Granovskaia, Eugene Tenenbaum and Guy Laurence - were not part of the club at the time of the abuse.

Chelsea's statement continued: "It is evident from the review that Heath was a dangerous and prolific child abuser. His conduct was beyond reprehensible.

"The report details how abuse was able to occur unchallenged, and the life-changing impact it had on those affected."

One witness told the review: "The boys all knew it was safety in numbers; you didn't want to be the last in the van, you risked being groped by him or having your bum slapped. He was regarded as 'nightmare Eddie'. I think all associated with the youth team knew or suspected something as there was so much talk about it between the boys there. I did not talk to any adults about what was happening at the club."

Chelsea, in their statement on Tuesday, said: "Although the club today is a very different place from the club then, with new ownership, operational structures and safeguarding procedures in place, we will not shy away from responsibility for what happened in the past.

"The intention of the review was to shine a bright light in the dark corners of the club’s history so that we can learn lessons to help protect the players of the future. We also have no desire to hide any non-recent abuse we uncover."

The club added: "We must continue to challenge ourselves to do better as a club and as a sport. This is an issue that has affected all of football. Police data indicated that by March 2018, 340 clubs had already been impacted, 300 alleged perpetrators identified and over 2,800 referrals and reports received. Tragically the number of victims stood at almost 850.

"While we implement the recommendations of the report, it is important that we also look to the future and ensure that abuse like this never happens again anywhere in football.

"Survivors of child sexual abuse are also able to claim compensation by writing to the club. Claims for compensation are being assessed and managed by the club’s insurer and the club will support survivors through the process."

Former Chelsea assistant manager Dario Gradi, who denies any wrongdoing, is also criticised in the report.

Gradi, who went on to manage Crewe, was made aware of the abuse by one of the alleged victims, according to the review.

The review states: "[Witness] AV reported his complaint of abuse by Mr Heath to Mr Gradi. Mr Gradi did not make the management of the club aware of the complaint.

"Mr Gradi's inaction cannot be said to be 'inappropriate' as specifically defined by the terms of reference nor can it be said to have been contrary to any child protection or safeguarding rules or procedure in place at that time.

"My judgement that his response was inadequate is made by reference to the mores and expectations of the time as to responsible adult behaviour.

"I have concluded that he should have reported the matter to more senior staff. Accepted practice at the time would have been to do so and he failed to act."

Gradi told the review: "I completely deny that I ever attempted at any stage to smooth over the matter as has been reported in the press."

Related items

  • I don't even know what I want – Ibrahimovic unsure about future I don't even know what I want – Ibrahimovic unsure about future

    Zlatan Ibrahimovic is unsure what his future holds amid reports he will leave AC Milan at the end of the season and possibly retire.

    Ibrahimovic, 38, returned to Milan in December and scored four goals in 10 appearances before the campaign was stopped due to the coronavirus pandemic.

    The former Barcelona, Inter and Manchester United star is reportedly considering his future, with his contract at Milan expiring at season's end.

    But Ibrahimovic said even he was unsure about what was ahead as he considers his options.

    "Let's see," he told Svenska Dagbladet on Wednesday.

    "I don't even know what I want. Something new happens every day. Who could have predicted this with corona? We just have to try to live and enjoy life.

    "Don't worry too much. I have a family to take care of, they feel good so I feel good."

    Italy has been hit hard by coronavirus, reporting more than 110,000 cases and 13,100 deaths.

    Ibrahimovic said the health of the community had to come first, with the Serie A season suspended indefinitely.

    "It started to spread to football. They shut down the whole training facility, we were not allowed to move outside," he said.

    "It is tragic that football leagues shut down, but we must respect the system and be patient. They must find a solution that is good for the whole community.

    "Health is above all sport. I'm not worried about corona. I think it will be solved, it's just to wait until the experts know what to do."

  • Coronavirus: Walker hopes Premier League season resumes, but says football must 'take a back step' Coronavirus: Walker hopes Premier League season resumes, but says football must 'take a back step'

    Manchester City defender Kyle Walker hopes the Premier League season can resume, but said "football has to take a back step for now".

    The campaign has been suspended due to the coronavirus pandemic, which has brought sport to a standstill around the world.

    It remains unclear when, and if, the Premier League campaign will resume, but Walker is hoping the season can get back underway.

    "Football has to take a back step for now because that is the least important thing on everyone's mind in the football world," the right-back said.

    "The health of family members and other people's family members is the most important.

    "But, I hope, and I am sure everybody else hopes, that football will come back and we will be able to finish off the season, but if it is not a possibility, then everyone does understand that people's health is more important than a game of sport."

    Walker discussed how City – who were second to Liverpool in the Premier League when the season was stopped – were keeping up team spirit using group chats.

    But the 29-year-old revealed manager Pep Guardiola, who donated €1million to the coronavirus fight in Spain, was not in the players' chat.

    "Obviously Pep is not in the group chat! I dropped him a text message last night saying hope you are OK, and I hope the family is well and fair play for donating the amount of money that you have donated," Walker said.

    "That says a lot about him as a person. Put football aside, that has come from his heart and it is something that should definitely be recognised."

  • Coronavirus: Serie A clubs banned from team training until at least April 13 Coronavirus: Serie A clubs banned from team training until at least April 13

    Italian prime minister Giuseppe Conte has banned Serie A clubs from returning to team training until at least April 13.

    The Serie A season was suspended indefinitely last month with Italy hit hard by the coronavirus pandemic.

    Napoli and Lazio were among the clubs to backtrack on plans to return to training last month and with Italy extending their nationwide lockdown until April 13, Conte ruled out any team sessions taking place.

    "Actual measures are extended until April 13. We know we are asking another effort, another sacrifice," he said on Wednesday.

    "We have to understand one thing – if we stop following the rules or reduce these measures, we will waste our efforts."

    Conte added: "The only news introduced is about athletes' training sessions … training sessions are not allowed in clubs' headquarters.

    "It doesn't mean athletes cannot train themselves, they can do it individually."

    More than 13,100 people have died from coronavirus in Italy, with the global death toll exceeding 46,000.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.