Norwegian club IK Start battle to keep Lowe - Defender target of numerous clubs during window

By Sports Desk July 30, 2019
Jamaica defender Damion Lowe. Jamaica defender Damion Lowe.

Norwegian division one club IK Start has refused to entertain offers for Jamaican international Damion Lowe, despite several proposals put on the table for the player this transfer window, reports have claimed.

The 26-year-old defender has been a standout performer in recent times and played a crucial role for Jamaica in a third straight run to the CONCACAF Gold Cup semi-finals.

The defenders outstanding performances have not escaped the attention of scouts, with sources claiming the player has already received offers from Turkey, Belgium, Russia, Germany, Norway and the United States MLS. 

According to the club’s Sporting Director Tor-Kristian Karlsen, who earlier this year outlined a plan for the team becoming one of Norway’s elite in three-years, the club is not inclined to easily part with one of its prized assets.

“I can confirm that there has been great interest in Damion both from the Elite series and from abroad but we want to keep him,” Karlsen said.

“I can confirm that there have been bids that we have rejected, but I do not want to go into which clubs they are from,” he added.

Lowe, the son of former Jamaica international Onandi Lowe, has made 17 appearances for Jamaica’s national team.

Related items

  • Borja Mayoral expects clarity over Real Madrid future after this season Borja Mayoral expects clarity over Real Madrid future after this season

    Borja Mayoral expects to receive clarity over his Real Madrid future after this season but accepts matters are not solely in his hands.

    The striker has been on loan at Levante since August 2018, scoring eight goals in 54 LaLiga appearances in that time.

    Mayoral, who was previously with Wolfsburg for the 2016-17 campaign, is approaching the final year of his contract with boyhood club Madrid.

    While he is staying calm over his future, particularly with football seasons mostly on hiatus during the coronavirus pandemic, the 22-year-old hopes to have more concrete ideas about where he will be playing in the coming months.

    "I try to focus on the present," he told AS. "There are still matches [to play this season] and hopefully the competition will resume. Now, I think about finishing LaLiga in the best possible way. Then there will be time to think about what follows.

    "Ultimately, I'm calm because I have one year left with Real Madrid. I've had two years at Levante and it's true that this summer I think a different decision will be made regarding me.

    "But, as I say, I'm facing it in the best possible way, with all the excitement. What will come will come. I'm really happy, and calm above all, which is what is important.

    "I've not been contacted personally [by Madrid]. My agent handles that more, but I don't think they've been contacted.

    "I also think that everything will return to normal when this happens, and there will be more conversations about my future.

    "I'm young, I know I have a lot of potential to give yet. In the end, if a player is expensive, it's because he's good and because he's loved.

    "In the end, as I've told you before, it doesn't just depend on me, it also depends on Real Madrid and what they want to do with me."

    Mayoral, who still has friends and family in Madrid, revealed it had been a challenging time during Spain's nationwide lockdown aimed at curbing the coronavirus spread.

    "I have a lot of friends there and my whole family are from there," he said. "I'm constantly in contact with them to ask how they are, with my grandparents, too, who we know are risk factors. I try to speak with them almost every day."

  • Nubel will learn behind Neuer at Bayern Munich, says Kahn Nubel will learn behind Neuer at Bayern Munich, says Kahn

    Manuel Neuer will be number one at Bayern Munich next season and will help Alexander Nubel to develop, according to Oliver Kahn.

    Neuer's contract expires in 2021 and there are reports of an impasse in talks over a new deal, leading to suggestions the 34-year-old could be moved on at the end of the season.

    Bayern have already signed Nubel on a five-year deal, with the Schalke goalkeeper to switch to the Allianz Arena on a free transfer ahead of the next campaign.

    However, Bayern board member and former keeper Kahn expects Nubel to be second choice next term, as he predicts Neuer will continue at the highest level for some time.

    "In general, as I have shown myself, goalkeepers can of course play into old age, but maintaining a high level is a great challenge," Kahn, who retired at 38, told Sport Bild.

    "In Alexander Nubel, we get a highly talented goalkeeper, who has the chance to develop and learn behind Manuel Neuer. Not many have the opportunity to work with the best goalkeeper in the world every day."

    While 2019-20 is on hiatus due to the coronavirus pandemic, Bayern are said to be putting transfer plans in place ahead of next season.

    Interim boss Hansi Flick said this month that he believes coaches should have the power to veto transfers proposed by club managers, amid suggestions he has been at odds with sporting director Hasan Salihamidzic over Bayern's planning.

    Kahn admits it is important that Bayern "march in one direction in order to develop the team further".

    He added: "Of course, the coach is a very important factor in terms of transfer plans. Hasan Salihamidzic, Hansi Flick and I discussed and coordinated this and other topics intensively.

    "The coach can and should put forward his ideas."

  • Ceballos uncertain on Arsenal future and 'wants to be important' Ceballos uncertain on Arsenal future and 'wants to be important'

    Dani Ceballos recognises he faces an uncertain future at Arsenal and wants to "be important for my new team".

    Spain midfielder Ceballos is on a season-long loan at the Gunners from Real Madrid, a deal which is due to expire on June 30.

    With nearly all of European football on lockdown due to the coronavirus pandemic, it remains to be seen when or even if the season will be finished and what the situation is for players like Ceballos if the campaign heads into July.

    Ceballos has had a hit-and-miss time at Arsenal, missing chunks of the season due to injury, but had worked his way into Mikel Arteta's plans before the Premier League ground to a halt.

    And the 23-year-old is unsure how things will pan out.

    "I finish my contract on June 30 but I would have to [continue to] play for Arsenal [when football returns]. I don't know how [that would work with his loan technically having finished]," he told El Chiringuito de Jugones.

    "It would be irresponsible from my side to talk about my future. The most important thing will be to be important for my new team. 

    "I came to Arsenal to be an important player but in the last month that all disappeared [due to coronavirus stopping football]."

    In January, it was reported Valencia were interested in taking over Ceballos' loan, while he has also been linked with Sevilla.

    However, the latter move is not one that particularly appeals given he used to play for Sevilla's fierce rivals Real Betis.

    "I knew about Valencia's interest in having my services. There was also talk of Sevilla and Betis," he added.

    "When they connect you with these teams it is for a reason. I am very Betis and it would be difficult for me to play for Sevilla. 

    "I would only play for Betis, it is my team and the one that gave me the opportunity to be a footballer. I did not get to speak with Julen Lopetegui to sign for Sevilla."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.