Lucas backs Leonardo to do right by PSG amid Neymar uncertainty

By Sports Desk July 21, 2019

Lucas Moura expects Leonardo to do right by Paris Saint-Germain amid the uncertainty surrounding the future of Neymar. 

Brazil star Neymar is keen to leave Parc des Princes, with a return to Spain via Barcelona or Real Madrid considered his most likely escape route. 

Despite the forward's apparent eagerness for a transfer, sporting director Leonardo says they have yet to receive a concrete offer for a player who only joined two years ago for a world-record fee of €222million. 

Tottenham forward Lucas left Brazil for PSG in 2013 after Leonardo helped to broker a deal with Sao Paulo for the much-coveted winger. 

The 26-year-old has never forgotten Leonardo's impact on his career and believes his return to PSG will be a huge boost to the club, although he does not know what the future will hold for Brazil team-mate Neymar. 

"It's amazing," he said of Leonardo returning. "He is a friend who helped me a lot. He is an incredible person; he is very smart. I am sure he will do good things for the club." 

On Neymar, he added: "I don't know, it's difficult. He is a great player. I'm sure PSG want to keep Neymar. But I don't know what will happen. We will see in the next days." 

Lucas was speaking after Tottenham beat Juventus 3-2 in an International Champions Cup meeting in Singapore, in which he scored his side's second goal and set up Harry Kane to net an incredible winner from near the halfway line. 

"It was a very difficult game, with the heat," he said. "But I am very happy. We played very well, we worked very well. It's important to start like that, with a success against a great team. We have to keep going. I'm very happy." 

Lucas reserved praise for Tanguy Ndombele, who marked his first appearance for the club with an assist for the Brazilian's goal. 

"He is a great player," Lucas added. "He will help us a lot. I am happy for him. He is a young player with a great [football] culture. It's a good thing to have him with us in Tottenham." 

Related items

  • Rumour Has It: Haaland, Mane top targets for Real Madrid Rumour Has It: Haaland, Mane top targets for Real Madrid

    Real Madrid are reportedly preparing for a rebuild and Erling Haaland and Sadio Mane are their top transfer targets.

    The LaLiga club appear set for a busy close season amid links to numerous players.

    While Arsenal forward Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang is said to be a target, it seems Madrid have other priorities.

     

    TOP STORY – HAALAND, MANE TOP TARGETS FOR REAL MADRID

    Borussia Dortmund forward Haaland and Liverpool star Mane are Real Madrid's top targets, according to the Daily Express.

    The report says Aubameyang is also wanted at the Santiago Bernabeu, but is behind Haaland and Mane.

    Real Madrid were two points behind LaLiga leaders Barcelona when the season was suspended due to the coronavirus pandemic.

    ROUND-UP

    - Staying at Real Madrid and the LaLiga giants are tracking Sao Paulo midfielder Igor Gomes, according to AS. A Brazil youth international, Gomes, 21, has been compared to former AC Milan star Kaka.

    - Ousmane Dembele is seemingly unwanted at Barcelona and could be set for a move. Sport reports Liverpool and Jurgen Klopp want Dembele, who has struggled with injuries since joining the LaLiga club.

    - Barcelona are continuing their bid to land Lautaro Martinez. Sport claims left-back Junior Firpo could be part of a deal to bring the Inter star to Camp Nou. It says Inter, and Roma, are interested in the left-back and Barca would want the €18million they paid Real Betis for Junior last year.

    - Manchester United could be set to make a big move this close season. The Daily Star reports the Premier League club are confident of landing Atletico Madrid midfielder Saul Niguez for a club-record £135m (€150.8m).

    - Perhaps Manchester United had another target. However, Sport says Real Madrid have told United that midfielder Federico Valverde is worth his incredible release clause – £448m (€500m).

    - Henrikh Mkhitaryan is loving life in Rome. The Daily Mail reports the midfielder, who is on loan at Roma from Arsenal, wants to stay at the club and hopes they can agree to a €11.2m (£10m) deal.

  • Cavani to Boca Juniors? Hopefully very soon – Bermudez Cavani to Boca Juniors? Hopefully very soon – Bermudez

    Boca Juniors sporting director Jorge Bermudez is hopeful Paris Saint-Germain star Edinson Cavani will join the Argentine giants "very soon".

    Cavani is out of contract in June and the Uruguay international has been linked with a move away from PSG following his failed transfer to Atletico Madrid in January.

    The 33-year-old – PSG's all-time leading goalscorer – has also reportedly emerged as a target for new MLS franchise Inter Miami.

    But Bermudez believes Boca, where club legend Juan Roman Riquelme is now vice-president, can lure the PSG forward to Buenos Aires.

    "Knowing Riquelme and the distance to [former Uruguay international Diego] Forlan, and knowing the category of Cavani, hopefully it will be very soon," Bermudez told Radio Cooperativa. 

    "He would give us a great hand and be very supportive. I think he wants to come to Boca."

    Bermudez added: "If he comes it is for a real desire and the signs are clear."

    Prior to the postponement of Ligue 1 and football due to coronavirus, Cavani had scored seven goals across all competitions in 2019-20.

    Cavani has called Paris home since swapping Napoli for PSG in 2013.

  • Tottenham allow Son and Bergwijn to return home Tottenham allow Son and Bergwijn to return home

    Tottenham duo Son Heung-min and Steven Bergwijn have been allowed to return to their home countries for personal reasons while the Premier League season is suspended due to the coronavirus pandemic.

    The club released a statement confirming that Son has travelled to South Korea, while Bergwijn is in the Netherlands awaiting the birth of his child.

    Bergwijn has been in recovery from an ankle injury since Tottenham's 1-1 draw with Burnley on March 7, with the club saying he will do rehabilitation work while with his family.

    Son has scored nine goals in 21 Premier League appearances this season but has not played since scoring a brace in a 3-2 victory over Aston Villa in February.

    He fractured his right arm during the win at Villa Park and will continue his recovery in South Korea.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.