Knockaert joins Fulham after losing Brighton spot

By Sports Desk July 21, 2019

Anthony Knockaert has completed a loan move to Fulham from Brighton and Hove Albion.

The 27-year-old has agreed a 12-month deal, with the move expected to be made permanent for an agreed undisclosed fee at the end of 2019-20.

Brighton boss Graham Potter suggested the winger would not have been part of his plans had he stayed at the Amex.

"The move is a good one for the club and Anthony. The wide positions are areas in which we have a lot of competition within the squad," he said via Brighton's website.

"I've only worked with Anthony for a short period of time, but that's been a pleasure and he's been very professional and hardworking throughout pre-season. On behalf of the club, I would like to wish him well with Fulham."

Knockaert joined from Standard Liege in January 2016 and was named the Championship Player of the Year as Brighton won promotion the following year.

He scored two goals in 30 Premier League appearances last term as Brighton narrowly avoided relegation.

"It feels amazing to be here. I feel really welcome already. It just feels great to get this done and for me to be a Fulham player," he said.

"The goal is to get back to the Premier League where Fulham belongs. I have come here with the clear intention to get promoted and I want to help in any way that I can."

Related items

  • Olmo opts for RB Leipzig according to Dinamo Zagreb coach Bjelica Olmo opts for RB Leipzig according to Dinamo Zagreb coach Bjelica

    Dani Olmo is set to join Bundesliga leaders RB Leipzig despite reported interest from Barcelona, Milan and Chelsea, Dinamo Zagreb's coach has confirmed.

    Olmo, who impressed for Spain Under-21s at last year's European Championships, has scored eight goals in all competitions this season, including five in the Champions League.

    The playmaker's form had seen him linked with a return to Barca, who he left to join Dinamo in 2014, while Premier League side Chelsea and Serie A club Milan also reportedly hold an interest.

    However, the 21-year-old has opted to make a move to Germany, with Leipzig his destination, according to Zagreb boss Nenad Bjelica, who believes Olmo has made the right decision for his career.

    "He had really good offers, he opted for Leipzig," Bjelica told Croatian media outlet 24sata. "We believe he will show his best as he did here at Dinamo.

    "From the numerous offers he had, he picked Leipzig. In my opinion it is the best club for him to develop.

    "Leipzig is a club at the top of the Bundesliga, they are growing year after year and playing the Champions League."

    Bjelica also revealed Olmo said his farewells to the Dinamo squad on Thursday, prior to flying to Leipzig to complete the formalities of the transfer.

    "We will have to do without him, we wish him the best," he said. "He said goodbye to the boys, he tried to say something more but did not succeed, it was difficult."

    Reports of the fee have varied between €20million and €35m plus add-ons. It is expected Olmo - who earlier in January claimed Barca had made his representatives a formal offer - will undergo a medical on Friday.

  • Mane forced off injured in first half of Liverpool's clash with Wolves Mane forced off injured in first half of Liverpool's clash with Wolves

    Sadio Mane went off injured in the first half of the Premier League clash between Wolves and Liverpool at Molineux.

    The Senegal star pulled up after running to meet a Mohamed Salah backheel around 32 minutes into the game.

    Mane immediately signalled to the Liverpool bench that he needed to come off and he was replaced soon after by recent arrival Takumi Minamino.

    It was unclear what the problem was with Mane, although it appeared to be muscular as he made his way down the tunnel.

    Any long-term problem for Mane would be a blow to Jurgen Klopp, the forward having scored 11 and assisted a further six goals in the league this season.

    The Reds were 1-0 up at the time of the injury, Jordan Henderson having broken the deadlock with a header from Trent Alexander-Arnold's corner.

  • Sporting sign striker Sporar as Man Utd talks for Fernandes reportedly collapse Sporting sign striker Sporar as Man Utd talks for Fernandes reportedly collapse

    Sporting CP have announced the signing of striker Andraz Sporar, while talks with Manchester United over Bruno Fernandes have reportedly collapsed.

    The Portuguese side were said to be eager to generate significant income this month, but a deal with United over midfielder Fernandes appears to have been stalling for some days.

    According to the latest reports, United co-chairman Joel Glazer has stepped in to make it clear the Red Devils will not match Sporting's asking price of €80m.

    Despite their need for funds, Sporting have still invested in Slovenia striker Sporar, who has signed a five-year contract with the club that contains a €60m release clause.

    Reports in Portugal say the 25-year-old has joined in a €6m deal from Slovan Bratislava, having passed his medical after arriving in Lisbon late on Tuesday.

    Sporar had been linked with Scottish champions Celtic and Turkish giants Besiktas.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.