James set for Atletico? That's a stretch – Cerezo

By Sports Desk July 16, 2019

Atletico Madrid president Enrique Cerezo denied James Rodriguez is poised to join the LaLiga side, adding there have not been negotiations for the Real Madrid midfielder.

Tipped to move to Napoli throughout the off-season, Atletico have reportedly emerged as the favourites to sign James as the Italian outfit and Madrid struggle to reach an agreement.

James is set to leave Madrid following a two-year loan spell at Bayern Munich, who opted not to make the deal permanent at the end of 2018-19.

Asked about Colombia star James, Cerezo told reporters: "Atletico are interested in great players and James is a great player, but from that to he's going to come, there's some distance.

"Negotiations? Not that I know of, no."

Atletico have been busy in the transfer market, breaking a club record to sign Portuguese sensation Joao Felix, while also adding Marcos Llorente, Hector Herrera, Felipe, Renan Lodi and Ivan Saponjic following the departures of stars like Antoine Griezmann, Rodri, Lucas Hernandez and Diego Godin.

Diego Simeone's transfer business is far from over, however, with Tottenham right-back Kieran Trippier and Espanyol defender Mario Hermoso reportedly close to moving to the Spanish capital.

"We've had a few signings and are in negotiations for a few more," Cerezo said. "Negotiations can end well or badly, but there are negotiations.

"Everything's going well, the team is training well, blending in well and very happy at Los Angeles de San Rafael. Now we're waiting for next season with a month left to go."

Related items

  • Cuisance to join Bayern Munich immediately, Gladbach confirm Cuisance to join Bayern Munich immediately, Gladbach confirm

    Mickael Cuisance has passed his Bayern Munich medical and left Borussia Monchengladbach after the Bundesliga clubs reached a transfer agreement.

    Gladbach confirmed the midfielder will join the champions with immediate effect following the completion of relevant paperwork on Saturday.

    Bayern are yet to verify whether Cuisance has officially signed his contract at the Allianz Arena.

    Their sporting director, Hasan Salihamidzic, announced the France Under-20 international's imminent arrival on Friday as he confirmed a deal was in place to secure Barcelona midfielder Philippe Coutinho on an initial season-long loan.

    "After two seasons with Borussia, Mickael Cuisance will leave to join Bayern Munich with immediate effect," read a Gladbach statement.

    "The 20-year-old midfielder completed a medical in Munich on Friday, with both clubs reaching an agreement on the transfer deal on Saturday."

    Bayern commenced their title defence with a 2-2 draw against Hertha Berlin, while Gladbach begin their season on Saturday at home to Schalke.

  • Ronaldo left out of Juventus squad for final pre-season friendly Ronaldo left out of Juventus squad for final pre-season friendly

    Cristiano Ronaldo has been left out of Juventus' squad for their final pre-season friendly against Triestina.

    The Portugal international sat out Wednesday's intra-squad practice match with slight fatigue to his left adductor and will not participate in Saturday's match at Stadio Nereo Rocco as a precautionary measure.

    He also missed an exhibition match against Team K League in Seoul last month but had featured in Juve's other outings prior to this week, including a 71-minute appearance in the 2-1 loss to Atletico Madrid seven days ago.

    Serie A champions Juventus, who begin their title defence with a trip to Parma next Saturday, can call upon new signing Aaron Ramsey for the first time since he joined the club as a free agent.

    Ramsey has spent the last two weeks training after recovering from a muscle injury and is part of Juve's 24-man squad for the match with Serie C side Triestina.

    Head coach Maurizio Sarri will not be present, though, having been struck down by flu this week.

  • Barcelona confirm calf injury for Luis Suarez Barcelona confirm calf injury for Luis Suarez

    Luis Suarez is out for an indefinite period after injuring his right calf in Barcelona's LaLiga loss to Athletic Bilbao on Friday, the club have confirmed.

    The 32-year-old striker had to be replaced before half-time at San Mames after receiving treatment following a shot that hit the post.

    Lionel Messi missed the match with a calf issue of his own suffered shortly before Barca travelled to the United States for two friendly matches against Napoli last week.

    Their absences were felt as Ernesto Valverde's men succumbed to a stunning late winner from Athletic veteran Aritz Aduriz.

    "Tests carried out on Saturday morning have confirmed Luis Suarez has an injured right calf," Barca said in a statement.

    "His recovery will dictate his return to action."

    Suarez's early withdrawal was the first time he has been substituted in the first half of a LaLiga game since he joined Barca from Liverpool in 2014.

    The champions suddenly look light on forwards, with Philippe Coutinho set to join Bayern Munich on loan with a view to a permanent deal.

    Antoine Griezmann debuted against Athletic, but Suarez's injury and Coutinho's departure could see Barca ramp up their interest in former player Neymar, who looks increasingly likely to leave Paris Saint-Germain.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.