Bayern forced to 'wait and see' on Sane

By Sports Desk July 12, 2019

Bayern Munich have to "wait and see" whether a possible deal to sign Manchester City star Leroy Sane can be agreed, chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge says.

Sane has long been earmarked as one of Bayern's top choices to replace veteran wingers Franck Ribery and Arjen Robben, who left at the end of last season.

President Uli Hoeness and head coach Niko Kovac have spoken highly of the Germany international, who had to battle for a place in Pep Guardiola's starting line-up in 2018-19.

Any potential deal appears a long way from coming to fruition but Rummenigge is nonetheless keeping his ear to the ground in case Sane makes it clear he wishes to move during Bayern's pre-season trip to the United States.

"He wanted to think about his future on holiday. We have to wait and see if something moves on. We are ready," he told Bild.

"The transfer window is open until September 2. Nothing has been decided at all yet. The spatial distance will of course increase [because of the USA trip], but that's no problem at all."

Bayern have also been linked with a bid for Barcelona's Ousmane Dembele as they look to bolster their wide options for the new season.

The France international could be sold to accommodate Antoine Griezmann, who is expected to join from Atletico Madrid in the coming days.

However, former Bayern star Lothar Matthaus has advised them against signing Dembele, who went on strike to force a move away from Borussia Dortmund in 2017.

Related items

  • West Ham 1 Arsenal 3: Ljungberg off the mark as Pepe inspires Gunners comeback West Ham 1 Arsenal 3: Ljungberg off the mark as Pepe inspires Gunners comeback

    Arsenal ended a seven-match Premier League winless run as they came from behind to beat West Ham 3-1 and give Freddie Ljungberg his first victory as interim head coach.

    The sacking of Unai Emery had not yielded the expected upturn in fortunes most would have expected, with Ljungberg overseeing a 2-2 draw at Norwich City and a 2-1 home defeat to Brighton and Hove Albion in his first two games in charge.

    It looked set to be another chastening evening for Ljungberg when Angelo Ogbonna put West Ham ahead in the 38th minute at London Stadium.

    Arsenal's display had been limp and lifeless in the first half but Gabriel Martinelli's goal on his full Premier League debut sparked them into life.

    A spectacular Nicolas Pepe strike made it 2-1 and Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang converted a cross from the former Lille star for the Gunners' third goal in the space of nine minutes, a blitz Manuel Pellegrini's struggling Hammers never recovered from.

    The early omens for Arsenal were worrying as they lost Hector Bellerin to injury in the warm-up.

    Ainsley Maitland-Niles took his place in the starting XI and, having been deprived of one full-back, the Gunners then saw another forced off as Kieran Tierney suffered a shoulder injury and was replaced by Sead Kolasinac.

    There was further frustration for the visitors when Mesut Ozil headed over from point-blank range from Aubameyang's left-wing cross.

    The impact of that miss was exacerbated as Ogbonna broke the deadlock.

    Arsenal failed to clear a Snodgrass corner and Pablo Fornals whipped a right-wing delivery in for Ogbonna, whose effort deflected in off Maitland-Niles and was allowed to stand despite it appearing to come off his shoulder.

    Ljungberg's men had offered little to suggest a fightback was on the cards but, against the run of play, they levelled matters as Martinelli got off the mark in the Premier League.

    Kolasinac did excellently to pick out the Brazilian, who found the bottom-right corner with a confident first-time finish, and six minutes later the turnaround was completed in stunning fashion.

    Pepe cut in from the right and bent an unstoppable strike into the far corner before then lofting a cross into the box for Aubameyang to fire an acrobatic strike into the ground and beyond David Martin, who, despite getting a hand to the ball, could not keep out a shot that proved the telling blow in the contest.

  • 'No chance' of imminent return to Premier League, insists Benitez 'No chance' of imminent return to Premier League, insists Benitez

    Rafael Benitez says he would like to go back to the Premier League in the future but insists there is "no chance" of an imminent return.

    The Spaniard left Newcastle United following the expiry of his contract at the end of June before joining Chinese Super League club Dalian Yifang – a move Magpies managing director, Lee Charnley, said was motivated by money.

    Everton and Arsenal are in the market for new managers after recently sacking Marco Silva and Unai Emery respectively, while West Ham boss Manuel Pellegrini is under intense pressure.

    Benitez says he remains open to a return to the English top flight but has no intention of leaving China just yet.

    "Obviously in the future I would like to come back to the Premier League, but at the moment I must be very clear, there is no chance I will come back now," he told Sky Sports' Monday Night Football.

    "I am happy, really pleased, they trust me, we have a lot of staff working on a big project.

    "We want to leave a legacy, it's a challenge for me, and I'm learning a lot, it's a great experience, and I'm quite happy at the moment."

    Benitez enjoyed a successful spell in charge of Liverpool between 2004 and 2010, guiding them to Champions League success in 2005, before leading Chelsea to the Europa League as caretaker boss in 2013.

  • Haaland: It's not hard to deal with transfer speculation Haaland: It's not hard to deal with transfer speculation

    Erling Haaland is not finding it difficult to deal with the transfer speculation that has unsurprisingly followed his remarkable run of goalscoring form.

    The teenage Salzburg striker is enjoying an excellent campaign and has scored eight goals in five Champions League games to go with 16 in 14 in the Austrian Bundesliga.

    Should Haaland score against Liverpool on Tuesday in their Group E finale, in which Salzburg could knock out the holders, he will become the first player to score in his first six Champions League matches.

    Manchester United – managed by Haaland's former Molde coach Ole Gunnar Solskjaer – have been heavily linked with a move for the 19-year-old, while Borussia Dortmund, Juventus, Real Madrid, Barcelona and Liverpool have also been credited with interest in his services.

    Haaland, however, has little interest in such rumours.

    "I just focus on my job, playing football, and to enjoy what I do every day and to go in with a clear mindset, to be in the present, and enjoy the moment right now," he told a media conference.

    "That's my focus, to focus on Salzburg and me as a player. So, it's not hard at all [dealing with transfer speculation]. I'm enjoying every day and playing football."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.