PSG sign Ander Herrera

By Sports Desk July 04, 2019

Paris Saint-Germain have completed the free transfer of Ander Herrera following his Manchester United departure.

Herrera, 29, ran down his contract at Old Trafford and has subsequently signed a five-year deal in Paris.

United struggled to challenge for major honours on a regular basis during Herrera's time at the club, and he highlighted PSG's recent record of winning titles as a major reason for choosing them.

"Paris Saint-Germain are the greatest club in France," he told PSG's website. "They keep on improving and compete to win every possible title.

"I was looking forward to coming to Paris and to wearing those colours. I hope to continue to make history with the club. Joining this club is an amazing feeling.

"I also love the city. Paris is the most beautiful city in the world. I promise three things: work, professionalism and passion.

"I also promise to improve my French because I think that the language is very important for the team's communication."

United had been eager to extend Herrera's stay at the club, having joined from Athletic Bilbao in 2014.

However, the Red Devils are reported to have baulked at his salary demands, allowing PSG to complete a deal once Herrera's departure was confirmed in April.

Spain international Herrera provides much-needed midfield reinforcements for PSG, after they found themselves short of numbers in the centre last term.

Following the departures of Lassana Diarra and Adrien Rabiot, he becomes only PSG's third senior central midfielder alongside Marco Verratti and Leandro Paredes, who had been linked with a move after an unimpressive first few months at the club.

Herrera is PSG's second signing of the close-season, following compatriot Pablo Sarabia to the Parc des Princes after his reported €20million move from Sevilla.

Related items

  • Rumour Has It: Liverpool put Werner plans on hold, Dybala set to re-sign at Juventus Rumour Has It: Liverpool put Werner plans on hold, Dybala set to re-sign at Juventus

    Liverpool have reportedly put their plans to sign Timo Werner on hold, while Paulo Dybala's future could be clearer soon.

    Werner, 24, was heavily linked with a move to Liverpool from RB Leipzig, but the coronavirus pandemic may have changed that.

    Meanwhile, Dybala's future is set to be clear shortly.

     

    TOP STORY – LIVERPOOL PUT WERNER PLANS ON HOLD

    Liverpool have put their plans to sign Werner on hold and also stopped contract talks due to coronavirus, according to The Daily Mail.

    There is uncertainty over the financial statuses of sporting clubs around the world due to coronavirus and Liverpool are waiting until there is greater clarity.

    Star midfielder Georginio Wijnaldum and defender Dejan Lovren are among the Liverpool players out of contract in 2021.

    One club seemingly not prepared to wait are Juventus, with CalcioMercato reporting Dybala is getting closer to a contract extension with the Serie A giants.

     

    ROUND-UP

    - Luka Modric is going nowhere. AS claims the midfielder will see out his contract, which runs until 2021, at Real Madrid. Just what Madrid's midfield looks like next season remains to be seen. Sport says Madrid will let James Rodriguez leave and bring Martin Odegaard back from his loan spell at Real Sociedad. It also reports Takefusa Kubo will be used as part of a deal to bring back Odegaard.

    - Talk about a deal that would see Neymar return to Barcelona and Antoine Griezmann join Paris Saint-Germain remains alive. According to Sport, PSG would welcome Griezmann while they attempt to re-sign Kylian Mbappe to unite the France team-mates at club level.

    - One player unlikely to be at PSG is Edinson Cavani. Tuttosport reports Napoli are thinking about bringing the forward, who is out of contract at the end of the season, back to the Stadio San Paolo.

    - Marc-Andre ter Stegen's future remains unclear. Sport claims Barcelona and the goalkeeper are no closer to renewing a contract that will expire in 2022.

    - Henrikh Mkhitaryan is seemingly happy on loan at Roma, but whether he stays remains to be seen. The Daily Express says Arsenal have rejected two bids – the last one around €11.4million (£10m) – from the Serie A club, who may instead turn to Chelsea's Pedro.

    - As they plan a move for Borussia Dortmund star Jadon Sancho, Chelsea have told Willian he has no chance of getting a three-year deal, according to the Mirror. Willian is out of contract at the end of the season.

  • Zanetti hopes 'asset' Lautaro Martinez has long Inter career Zanetti hopes 'asset' Lautaro Martinez has long Inter career

    Lautaro Martinez is an "asset" for Inter and is happy at the Serie A club despite transfer links, according to their vice-president Javier Zanetti.

    Martinez, 22, is reportedly being targeted by the likes of Barcelona and Real Madrid after impressing at Inter.

    The Argentina international has scored 16 goals in 31 games in all competitions this season.

    Zanetti said Martinez was happy at San Siro, where he arrived from Racing Club for a reported €22.7million in 2018.

    "I'm happy to talk about [Lautaro] because when we signed him we had been following him for some time," he told Sky Sport on Thursday.

    "He was one of the most promising players in Argentine football and [Diego] Milito thought he'd have a big future.

    "Now he's an asset for us and he's grown a lot. I see him training every week. He's happy with us and I hope he stays for a long time."

    Martinez had helped Inter sit third, nine points behind leaders Juventus, in Serie A when the season was suspended due to the coronavirus pandemic.

    Zanetti hopes normal life can resume soon in Italy, which has been hit hard by coronavirus, with more than 13,900 deaths.

    "Thinking about recovery is very difficult today. Until April 13 it is right to stay home to allow the epidemiological curve to go down, then we will return to normal life gradually," he said.

    "We are in a dramatic situation all over the world. The coronavirus is affecting many populations and should not be underestimated."

  • De Bruyne alongside Messi, Ronaldo and Neymar as world's best – Del Piero De Bruyne alongside Messi, Ronaldo and Neymar as world's best – Del Piero

    Manchester City star Kevin De Bruyne belongs among the world's best alongside Lionel Messi, Cristiano Ronaldo and Neymar, according to Alessandro Del Piero.

    Messi and Ronaldo are widely regarded as the world's two best players, ahead of Paris Saint-Germain stars Neymar and Kylian Mbappe.

    But Del Piero, a Juventus great, feels De Bruyne should be considered among the best.

    "To define the strongest player, you should specify in what," he told Sky Sport on Thursday.

    "In addition to the sacred names such as Messi, Cristiano Ronaldo and Neymar that attract the audience at 360 degrees, there are players of incredible depth, like De Bruyne."

    De Bruyne had scored nine goals and provided 18 assists in 35 games in all competitions before this season was suspended due to the coronavirus pandemic.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.