Juninho keen to keep 'great player' Fekir at Lyon

By Sports Desk July 03, 2019

Lyon director of football Juninho Pernambucano used the unveiling of new signing Thiago Mendes to make a late plea for Nabil Fekir to remain at the club.

Fekir is expected to move on after president Jean-Michel Aulas said the club has reached "an understanding that he can go", with the France international linked to Liverpool and Arsenal.

Juninho, who arrived at Groupama Stadium in May, indicated that he has not given up hope of keeping hold of Fekir as the team's new head coach Sylvinho prepares to welcome him along with the rest of the Lyon squad for pre-season training.

"I would like Nabil Fekir to stay," Juninho told reporters. "He's a great player. He's got a lot of talent.

"We'll see what happens. I'm a fan of his talent. We'll see him tomorrow [Thursday]."

After welcoming Brazilian midfielder Mendes, who arrived from Lille in a deal worth €25m, Aulas outlined the club's intentions in the transfer market.

The Lyon chief named Sampdoria defender Joachim Andersen as a target and said the club are close to agreeing a deal to keep 15-year-old protege Rayan Cherki at the club.

"We're getting closer to a lot of central defenders, including Andersen," said Aulas.

"We're moving forward. With Rayan Cherki, we are close to an agreement."

Mendes, who made 66 Ligue 1 appearances during two seasons at Lille, explained compatriots Juninho and Sylvinho were integral in persuading him to come to Lyon.

"Lyon are one of the best teams in the world," he said.

"I'll give my best for this club. Juninho and Sylvinho told me about the project and I quickly joined. It's also a family choice.

"I would give anything for the team and for Sylvinho. I'm here to help the team.

"The coach will make me play in the position he wants. I can still make progress in many areas. I'm in Lyon to learn."

Related items

  • Cavani to Boca Juniors? Hopefully very soon – Bermudez Cavani to Boca Juniors? Hopefully very soon – Bermudez

    Boca Juniors sporting director Jorge Bermudez is hopeful Paris Saint-Germain star Edinson Cavani will join the Argentine giants "very soon".

    Cavani is out of contract in June and the Uruguay international has been linked with a move away from PSG following his failed transfer to Atletico Madrid in January.

    The 33-year-old – PSG's all-time leading goalscorer – has also reportedly emerged as a target for new MLS franchise Inter Miami.

    But Bermudez believes Boca, where club legend Juan Roman Riquelme is now vice-president, can lure the PSG forward to Buenos Aires.

    "Knowing Riquelme and the distance to [former Uruguay international Diego] Forlan, and knowing the category of Cavani, hopefully it will be very soon," Bermudez told Radio Cooperativa. 

    "He would give us a great hand and be very supportive. I think he wants to come to Boca."

    Bermudez added: "If he comes it is for a real desire and the signs are clear."

    Prior to the postponement of Ligue 1 and football due to coronavirus, Cavani had scored seven goals across all competitions in 2019-20.

    Cavani has called Paris home since swapping Napoli for PSG in 2013.

  • Coronavirus: Inzaghi on suspended season - We all want to finish what we started Coronavirus: Inzaghi on suspended season - We all want to finish what we started

    Filippo Inzaghi believes Italian sides are willing to play in August to complete the season and warned some clubs could disappear if it is not finished.

    Italy has suffered heavily during the coronavirus pandemic that has swept the world, with over 10,000 recorded deaths so far in the country, and the government has suspended all domestic sport until at least April 3.

    The break is likely to continue beyond that date but former Milan striker Inzaghi, now head coach of runaway Serie B leaders Benevento, has warned of the ramifications of scrapping the campaign.

    "Talking about football is difficult," Inzaghi told Sky Sport Italia. "We have all taken a step back for our health, which is the highest priority.

    "By the time everything ends, we want to start playing again - it would be the right thing. We all want to finish what we started eight months ago, and the championships must be finished.

    "It would be the best solution to avoid misunderstandings and prevent someone from being damaged.

    "We are ready to play in June, July and August: we want to end this championship, any other decision will penalise someone. We will go to the courts, some clubs will disappear, so football could risk losing two years, not two months."

    Inzaghi has guided Benevento to 21 victories in 28 games so far this season, while brother Simone is enjoying a successful campaign in the top tier with Lazio.

    The Biancoceleste are second in Serie A, just a point behind leaders Juventus, and Filippo was full of praise for both his brother and Ciro Immobile, Lazio's leading scorer.

    "He is better than me in everything," said the Benevento boss. "I can only learn from Simone: he is a modern coach and seeing his Lazio side is a spectacle."

    Asked to name a player similar to himself, Inzaghi added: "I don't like making comparisons, but I say that Immobile is the best Italian player.

    "He always scores, always decisive. He is the centre-forward that I like best."

  • Harry Kane warns Spurs he won't stay 'for the sake of it' Harry Kane warns Spurs he won't stay 'for the sake of it'

    Harry Kane says he will not stay at Tottenham "for the sake of it" and would consider his future if the club did not show progress on the pitch.

    Spurs have not won a major trophy since the 2008 EFL Cup and have regressed since reaching last season's Champions League final under Mauricio Pochettino, with Jose Mourinho now at the helm.

    England captain Kane has often spoken of his desire to win titles with Tottenham but reports have suggested he may look elsewhere if his ambitions are not met.

    Manchester United and Real Madrid have both been rumoured to be monitoring the situation and Kane offered no guarantees that his long-term future is at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium.

    Speaking on a live Instagram broadcast with Sky Sports pundit and ex-Spurs midfielder Jamie Redknapp, Kane said: "Obviously I get asked this question a lot. 

    "It's one of those things – I couldn't say yes and I couldn't say no.

    "I love Spurs, I'll always love Spurs but I've always said if I don't feel we're progressing as a team or going in the right direction, I'm not someone to stay there for the sake of it.

    "I'm an ambitious player, I want to improve, get better and become one of the top, top players. It all depends on what happens as a team and how we progress as a team.

    "So it's not a definite I'm going to stay there forever but it's not a no either."

    Meanwhile, Spurs confirmed Son Heung-min and Steven Bergiwijn are to be allowed to return to South Korea and Netherlands respectively.

    Son has travelled home for personal reasons, while Bergwijn is awaiting the birth of his child.

    Spurs said "both players will continue their individual rehabilitation and training programmes during their time away" with the Premier League still suspended due to the coronavirus pandemic.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.