Real Madrid signing Rodrygo 'one of the great prodigies'

By Sports Desk June 18, 2019

Real Madrid have signed "one of the great prodigies" in Rodrygo Goes, according to club president Florentino Perez.

Brazilian 18-year-old Rodrygo was presented as a new Madrid player at the Santiago Bernabeu on Tuesday, a year after the club shelled out a reported €45million to sign him from Santos.

The teenager made 80 appearances in all competitions after making his Santos debut in November 2017 and Perez is excited to see him in action for Madrid.

"Our strategy is always about finding emerging talent, incorporating young players who want to mark an era in Real Madrid. Today we have a prodigious talent joining us," said Perez.

"This footballer already provokes admiration for his game in a country [Brazil] where admiration for football is a way of life. One of the great prodigies comes to our club, who already stands out for his quality and attitude.

"He has dreamed of this moment, he has wanted to hear these words that are coming true today, and we welcome Rodrygo Goes as a new player of Real Madrid.

"You come from Brazil, a country where football is a great passion and where the best players in history have come from.

"You played for a legendary club like Santos, you managed to do some incredible things in such a demanding place.

"You arrive at 18 but you've played many games with Santos already and you've become one of the big emerging stars of Brazilian football, standing out in all the youth categories for the national team.

"You've grown since your debut and scored many goals, but now you've chosen a challenge here. The club is going to support you as much as we can for you to be a happy player here. You'll have to work hard, the fans will be beside you, but you must know about the maximum demands here."

In a short initial speech, Rodrygo expressed a desire to repay the faith shown in him by Perez and Madrid as a whole.

"I want to thank firstly God for everything he's done for me and my family. All my family have fought with me. Thanks to the president and all the fans. I hope to give a lot of happiness to you. Hala Madrid," said Rodrygo.

Related items

  • Reported Arsenal target Izzo commits to Torino Reported Arsenal target Izzo commits to Torino

    Armando Izzo has signed a new contract at Torino, ending speculation he could move to the Premier League.

    Arsenal were reportedly interested in the centre-back, who has also been linked with Manchester United and Everton.

    But Izzo, who made his first Italy appearance in a Euro 2020 qualifier in March, has instead signed a new five-year deal with Torino.

    Speaking last month, the 27-year-old indicated he would commit to the Granata and he is thrilled to have agreed an extension.

    "Happy to continue with the Bull, with the same determination we will still face many battles together!!" Izzo wrote on Instagram.

    Torino, who finished seventh in Serie A last season, will play in the Europa League in 2019-20 due to AC Milan's ban.

    Walter Mazzarri's side face a qualifier against Hungarian outfit Debrecen, with the first leg to be played on Thursday.

  • Udinese sign Real Madrid striker Udinese sign Real Madrid striker

    Udinese have announced the signing of Cristo Gonzalez from Real Madrid.

    Gonzalez, 21, has agreed a five-year deal with the Serie A side, who are reported to have paid €1.5million.

    Madrid are said to have included both a buy-back clause and a sell-on fee in the deal for the striker.

    Gonzalez scored 21 goals for Real Madrid's reserves last term and hit his first senior goal for the club in a Copa del Rey win at Melilla.

    Madrid, meanwhile, are closing in on the signing of midfielder Alberto Soro, according to Real Zaragoza president Christian Lapetra.

    Soro will reportedly sign for Madrid in a €2.5m deal that could rise to around €5m, before returning to Zaragoza on loan.

  • Maldini: Modric would be 'perfect' but Milan did not bid for Madrid star Maldini: Modric would be 'perfect' but Milan did not bid for Madrid star

    Paolo Maldini insists AC Milan did not make an offer for Luka Modric this close season, although he admits the Real Madrid man would be "perfect" at San Siro.

    Modric is expected to stay at Madrid, where he has been since 2012, but the 33-year-old was linked with moves to Inter last year and rivals Milan in recent months.

    Maldini, acknowleding the midfielder's blend of experience and talent, says there was never any negotiation for the 2018 Ballon d'Or winner.

    "We never negotiated for Modric, but we've said to [coach Marco] Giampaolo this club are looking for good young players and some experienced ones," Rossoneri technical director Maldini told a news conference.

    "The growth of young players takes place through the presence of experienced players. Modric would be perfect here, but we've never negotiated for him."

    Maldini was speaking alongside Rade Krunic and Theo Hernandez as they were presented as Milan players on Friday.

    Hernandez, a left-back just as Maldini was in his playing days, was delighted to have joined Milan.

    "It is a real honour to be sitting next to [Maldini]," Hernandez said. "He will always be the best full-back in the world.

    "We met in Ibiza, where he had some very beautiful and sincere words for me. Since then, I have had the desire to join Milan. I trained hard to succeed and in the end I did it."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.